Which material for mandrel?

E

elginrunner

I'd like to turn a truing mandrel for savage and mauser actions. Which would be the best material for the job? I have plenty of 1 3/16" 416 stainless. Would that be adequate? I have used the brownells, and as best as I can remember they were a blued steel. I don't know if they were hardened or not.

Thanks for reading,

Brock in AR

The thing is that if you heat treat it in anyway after you turn it it may change diameter or some dimention may change .
If you are going to harden it then you need to use a D2 grade steel that is more dimentionly stable during heat treatment and leave a few thou on it to either grind to size or turn with a very hard insert to size.
I would just use the 416 and turn it with an idexable insert grade for SS like Kennametal KT 315 , KC 9105 good for dry machining or Sandvik GC1125 . That way it will not rust up on you during storage .

Any time I make a mandrel, I use Stressproof. It machines great, and has a built in anti gall quality. We use a lot of it around our Shop.

Why would a turning mandrel have to be hardnenned??.......jackie

Thanks for the responses fellows. I was beginning to think I asked a silly question.

Back