Which do you prefer and why...

Mike, I haven't shot much

score but between the two I prefer group. They are both challenging for sure.
As far as why, I guess it's because it's what more available in the area where I shoot. Mainly Raton, Luther OK,
and KS City. They do shoot score at KC however. Given the same opportunity I might change my mind next year and give score a go.

Richard Brensing

Last edited:
Given equal opportunity and resources, do you prefer short range group or score and why?

Both. Ok, you're not buying that.:cool:

Score. The reason? It fits my style of shooting. I have never been a runner. In Score shooting, I find that if you take your time and watch the conditions meticuously, you have a better chance of grabbing a high X count. The fact that you have to move the Rifle such a distance from one bull to the next negates the shooting style of getting as many shots down Range as possible in a given condition. Everybody knows that once you loose an X, or, (god forbid), shoot a nine, it's there for eternity.

I can run. In fact, in 200 yard group, I do usually run if the condition dictates. I even converted by best Group Rifle to a drop port so if the opportunity does present its self, I can take advantage of it.

But my Score Rifle is just a R/L Farley, vintage 1996. I see no need to have an ejector, it has historically been a very accurate platform that is a proven winner, I'm not going to mess with success.

Last edited:
Both. Ok, you're not buying that.:cool:

Score. The reason? It fits my style of shooting. I have never been a runner. In Score shooting, I find that if you take your time and watch the conditions meticuously, you have a better chance of grabbing a high X count. The fact that you have to move the Rifle such a distance from one bull to the next negates the shooting style of getting as many shots down Range as possible in a given condition.

I can run. In fact, in 200 yard group, I do usually run if the condition dictates. I even converted by best Group Rifle to a drop port so if the opportunity does present its self, I can take advantage of it.

But my Score Rifle is just a R/L Farley, vintage 1996. I see no need to have an ejector, it has historically been a very accurate platform that is a proven winner, I'm not going to mess with success.
Interesting Jackie. I wonder how much of the speed thing is range dependent.

I shoot and enjoy the score game, personally. I find that, while I normally try my best to pick my way through conditions, it's good to be able to run them fast when needed.
Sometimes the hardest part is knowingwhen to run and when to pick...other times, not so much.

Nevertheless, I think a good coaxial rest setup and the ability to run fast is nice to have in the repertoire.

I agree that the movement makes for a real challenge at times.

score but between the two I prefer group. They are both challenging for sure.
As far as why, I guess it's because it's what more available in the area where I shoot. Mainly Raton, Luther OK,
and KS City. They do shoot score at KC however. Given the same opportunity I might change my mind next year and give score a go.

Richard Brensing
I agree about proximity to matches. I'm in a score hotbed, but if there were group matches nearby, I'd likely shoot whichever is closest..to a degree.

Mike, I forgot about locality issue.

This past year, we had one Registered VFS Score Match at Tomball, four VFS Club Matches at Tomball, Four VFS Registered Matches at Walker County, and Five Registered VFS Matchs at Lake Charles. These are all within 2 hours of my home. That's a bunch of VFS shooting.

The only three Group Matches I shot were The Crawfish at Tomball, the 200/300 Nationals at Walker County, and a 100/200 yard Unlimited/Heavy Varmint Two Gun Match at Walker County.

I did quite well in all three, except I screwed around and crossfired an entire 200 yard target at the 200/300 Nationals.

That's only a 10 inch penalty:p

Ouch! You always seem to shoot well. I remember a few 250-25x targets that you've shared. That in itself is amazing but I seem to remember you doing it with either one or no sighters, at least once. That's unreal!

I would have to pick score shooting!

The closet club to me {1hour drive} shoots three score matches vs one group match each year.

We shoot 100/200 Hunter on Saturday & 100/200 VFS on Sunday. Great way to spend the weekend:cool:

Hunter competition with a 6x scope is a great challenge!!

It's like making a heart shot on a varmint. You cant see the X but you know where to hold.

Russ

I would have to pick score shooting!

The closet club to me {1hour drive} shoots three score matches vs one group match each year.

We shoot 100/200 Hunter on Saturday & 100/200 VFS on Sunday. Great way to spend the weekend:cool:

Hunter competition with a 6x scope is a great challenge!!

It's like making a heart shot on a varmint. You cant see the X but you know where to hold.

Russ
I'm always amazed by you 6x guys!

Mike, the main reason most score shooters shoot score is because it is a one day deal. I call them "nonrons" non remain over night. No motels campers etc.

Group shooters on regional shoots are gone at least 3 days and 2 nights, or, 5 days and 4 nights if it is a 4 gun shoot. On Nationals takes 6 days to shoot, 2 days to travel, and an additional 3-4 days for tuning, flag setting, etc.

4 weeks ago I was at the IBS Nationals. Fuel for travel, alone about $600. For the NBRSA Nationals just fuel was $450. Camping usually $10-15 per night. Or a motel at about $65/night.

Younger shooters with families most times can't afford option 2 in time away or money.

Mike, the main reason most score shooters shoot score is because it is a one day deal. I call them "nonrons" non remain over night. No motels campers etc.

Group shooters on regional shoots are gone at least 3 days and 2 nights, or, 5 days and 4 nights if it is a 4 gun shoot. On Nationals takes 6 days to shoot, 2 days to travel, and an additional 3-4 days for tuning, flag setting, etc.

4 weeks ago I was at the IBS Nationals. Fuel for travel, alone about $600. For the NBRSA Nationals just fuel was $450. Camping usually $10-15 per night. Or a motel at about $65/night.

Younger shooters with families most times can't afford option 2 in time away or money.

I agree, Jerry. I can leave my house at 4:00AM, be at a Lake Charles VFS Match by 6:00AM, start shooting at 9, do the entire Grand Agg and be back home by 7:00PM.

In between, have a good time.

I agree, Jerry. I can leave my house at 4:00AM, be at a Lake Charles VFS Match by 6:00AM, start shooting at 9, do the entire Grand Agg and be back home by 7:00PM.

In between, have a good time.

I agree with both of you. Personally, I think the long travel and long stays make it hard to bring in new shooters. Hell, until the hook is set well, new shooters mostly think we're crazy(they may be onto something):D to drive an hour or two to go shoot a gun. Much less half way across the country.

That brings up another question.
How many shoot both, group and score...or would if held nearby.

I agree with both of you. Personally, I think the long travel and long stays make it hard to bring in new shooters

That brings up another question.
How many shoot both, group and score...or would if held nearby.

Nearby? I wish. My first shoot, Unaka 2day group shoot 1999, we had 64 shooters. Unaka closed us out in 2016. We had 13 shooters.

Not long ago we spent over $85,000 to upgrade a 20 bench 200 yard range to 30 benches... no one to run the shoots.

I come from a F-Class Background

So it's probably not surprising that I like shooting Score matches. Never could rationalize the buzz from shooting a small group if you missed the bull's-eye by a foot. Started shooting local VFS matches because, despite living in Dallas/Ft Worth, I'm 4+ hours from any F-Class matches. I would consider gearing up to shoot Group benchrest matches but there just aren't any offered in north Texas.

Last edited:
Nearby? I wish. My first shoot, Unaka 2day group shoot 1999, we had 64 shooters. Unaka closed us out in 2016. We had 13 shooters.

Not long ago we spent over $85,000 to upgrade a 20 bench 200 yard range to 30 benches... no one to run the shoots.

Jerry, do you think it'd help with finding match directors and assistance, to try score in that area? Less time, expense, no moving backers, etc? Match directors, with some help, can run a 2 yardage agg in a single day...and shoot the match, too! We're also competing for range time at public clubs, so less is more in that regard, I would think.

Obviously, there's not a lot of money to throw around, but if the match director and a couple of target/scoring crew shoot for free, would that help? I know I've done it for less...and happy to do so most of the time.

Last edited:
I tend to shoot more score than group at this point in my life. To tell the truth, I prefer Hunter and Varmint Hunter and that 6X scope. The problem with that is there just aren't enough Hunter shooters around here. If I show up with the Hunter rig, I'd be alone in that class. I finished second or third at the IBS Nats in Ohio and won it all the next year in Iowa. My Pete Wass rifle works. Truth be told, my rifles are set up for score right now.
One problem with group matches is that it takes manpower to run a match and volunteerism is on a low swing right now.
Group shooting can be a bit easier than score due to the fact you can chase your first shot in group. There is just no recovery from a shot plunked out in the six ring in score shooting. While I shoot unregistered score matches, I refuse to shoot unregistered group matches with no moving backer.
Oh, and I am a member of NBRSA.

2008 in Ohio, right? I was there. Boy, that was one to remember. Hurricane Ike!

score

I shot back in the late 70s early 80s then we only had Hunter class. The Cajuns made such a great impression on me,Marcy Lyons ,Francis Broussard,Louis just a great bunch of guys. in 2010 I built a Hunter class gun, my goal was to Win Louisiana State, which I had to pleasure to do in 2014 and 2017. it is a real hon. to have my name on the Marcy Lyons Trophy.
I have made a lot of great friends in this sport.
Mike Wall /coon dog kid

All it takes is a good rifle, good scope, and young eyes. Right?
Young eyes may not be an absolute requirement, just a good optometrist ;)

I will add that I have only shot a couple of group matches in my life. These were not sanctioned matches and had no backers. I did enjoy it as I like most all forms of shooting. But since there are no group shoots closer than 4-5 hours away and there are numerous UBR score matches fairly close by, score shooting is my game.

Rick

Back