Which barrel/bullet combo???

PHaxell

I don't suppose there is a single answer, but are flat base bullets better for cut rifled or button rifled barrels?
Does it matter if they are double ogive or not?

Reason is I have a new gun. Have Barts Ultras on hand and want to know if they will work better in Shilens or Kriegers or does it not matter?

Thanks
Peter

I would go with the ones that shoot the smallest groups. Unless there is something else you are looking for?

Peter

The Ultras are certainly a proven bullet.

I really can't say whether a particular bullet likes a cut rifled barrel any more than a buttoned barrel. Shooter use, and win with, both. A great barrel is a great barrel, whether it is cut rifled, buttoned, has 3 grooves, 4 grooves, 6 grooves, funny shaped grrooves, or what ever.

One thing to consider is the reamer design, especially in the freebore length. Ultras, being a "double radius" bullet, tend to set up on the long side. The trend has been to shorten the freebore to the .035 range so the bullets don't stick out so far.

For what it is worth, I shoot Kriegers, which is a cut rifled barrel. Lately, I have chambered up some Bartliens for my friends, and they shoot quite well. As you know, the Bartlien is also cut rifled.

At the level we have to shoot at, barrels can become funny animals. A good shooter will score a really great barrel of a certain brand and configuration, and it seems that will be the "hot ticket" of the moment. The trend usually last untill some other shooter repeats the occurrance with an entirely different brand and configuration.

My advice would be to find out what top shooters are using, (and winning with), on a regular basis, get one, learn it, and avoid the "trend of the moment". In the end, you will probaly enjoymore success........jackie

Thanks Jackie

Jackie,

Down here the Benchrest boys use what they can get barrel wise. Mostly Shilens and very few Kriegers. Bullets are very hard to source and there are a lot of Bergers, Fowlers, Watsons or a similar bullet shot and reamers of either 45 or 60 thou lead. I know of Boyer #3's and JGS 1045's that are being used among others.

I recently acquired a Dwight Scott built PPC - Panda/Scoville/Krieger and shot it at out South Island Champs this past weekend with some success. Only thing is in the not too distant, I will need a new barrel and there was some conjecture as to whether the Ultras I acquired with the gun would shoot better in a Shilen or Krieger. I have never shot barrels other than Shilen until last weekend and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

I was thinking about getting a couple of those 13.5 twist Kriegers you have been shooting and using a good dose of 133. Currently has a 14 twist 0.237" 4 groove at 22 inches. 29.8gn N133 and Ultras jammed. Your thoughts on this as a Competitive combination and any advice?

Many thanks
Peter

Back