Where to buy springs??

skeetlee

Does anyone know where BAT or any other action builder buy their springs? I would like to play around with some different spring weights on my BAT actions along with some other minor modifications, but i do not know where to source the proper springs... Thanks Lee

As I am sure you know, gun springs are just springs that are used for a specific purpose. No one waves a wand over them, sprinkles fairy dust and utters magic words that turn them into gun springs. (Yes, I know that you know all of that, but I was having so much fun...) Take a look at this.http://www.acxesspring.com/spring-calculator.html
Also, Greg Tannel has had some custom springs made that have slightly smaller diameter wire than is the usual for actions like the 700 Remington. I ordered a couple and gave one to a friend that shoots a lot. So far, no bad report. The most interesting thing that I have tried has to be David Tubb's dual counter wound spring setup. The peak weight is 25# but the top half of the bolt lift feels lighter, because the spring does not have to turn against the surfaces that it pushes on when it is compressed. Instead of one spring, there are two that meet in the middle, one wound clockwise, the other the opposite, so that they cancel each other's need to rotate as they are compressed. Now that is clever.

This place is great, have stock springs

We used to have 2 spring winding machines that we produced prototype springs off of. When a couple of the model makers who knew how to use them (well) retired, we bought a good deal of springs for prototyping from this place.

They have great selections and products: http://www.leespring.com

I need an extractor plunger spring for a Herter's U9. Bought the appropriate bag-o-springs assortment from Brownells... no luck. I was too lazy to return the intact bag. :rolleyes:
F1

Boyd .
Thanks for the "Clever Mark".

Keep in mind that in a stressed spring environment unless your spring is made from Chrome Silicon (CS) or 17-7 it will likely need to replace it (yearly) periodically.
DTubb

Prestressed or non-set springs

You also want to know if the spring has been pre-set or not.

If you do not use a preset spring, one taken beyond it elastic limit (if highly stressed application) the spring will take a set over time and deliver differing performance.

If a preset spring is purchased, you do not go thru the change in performance.

http://www.newcombspring.com/article_presetting_springs.html

There is a good demonstration of this on the Geissele website relating to AR-15 buffer springs. David Tubbs also covers the same very well on the same topic. Use several of the CS springs David Tubbs provides in several applications within a couple of ARs.

have you examined a

I need an extractor plunger spring for a Herter's U9. Bought the appropriate bag-o-springs assortment from Brownells... no luck. I was too lazy to return the intact bag. :rolleyes:
F1

BIC lighter spring? Very small, very strong ( for size), very long so it can be cut to length.

Does anyone know where BAT or any other action builder buy their springs? I would like to play around with some different spring weights on my BAT actions along with some other minor modifications, but i do not know where to source the proper springs... Thanks Lee

Napa, Carqwest, etc. Skeet. Buy it by the foot.

Mcmaster.com has a huge selection of springs of all types and materials. No minimum order.

RWO

Back