What's your Favorite Bedding Epoxy??

Araldite K138. Maybe not as dense as the various Devcons but I've never come across a cleaning product that will attack it.

Dusty I have used several in the past. Devcon 10110, Marine Tex, Pro Bed 2000, Brownells Steel Bed. My Favorites are Devcon and Marine Tex. I have seen JB weld used a lot. May try some soon. Right now I have a whole 8oz of Steel Bed to use up. I don't like it as well as Devcon or Marine Tex tho.

I rather use bisonite than anything but its hard to get. I like the pumps on the west system and i can make it as runny or thick as i want. I can get marine tex or jb weld locally so i use them mostly and prefer marine tex. Brownells stuff is not as hard as i like just like araldite so i wont use them. Devcon is a complicated mix so i tend to not use it but it works very well

Dusty I just mixed up some JB Weld this evening and used it to bed a old Rem stock I have. It was alittle runny than I have seen with the others. I think I will stick with the Marine Tex for all my bedding needs. Devcon has worked very well for me in the past too.

JB Weld did a nice looking job last night. I popped the action out this morning. Like I said the only thing different about it was alittle runny.

Marine Tex, because that is what I started with, it works great, and is available locally. I see no reason to change.

Justin

I use devcon steel putty.
I get it from Brownells or Amazon.
I like it because I do not have to fight time or gravity.
I have bedded 10 Mausers this month and working on #11 tonight.

Attachments

• 1908 Braz Mauser Win70 stainless 7mmRM Mauser #11 steel bed b 3-28-2016.jpg
    1908 Braz Mauser Win70 stainless 7mmRM Mauser #11 steel bed b 3-28-2016.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 460
Epoxy Bedding

I have been using West epoxy with the slow hardener and 404 filler with great success. I can vary the color to match the stock by using powdered tempra paint powder ( available in art supply stores) mixed in well with the resin before adding the hardener and filler. A can each of red, blue and yellow is all I use. Equal portions of each give a rich brown color. Generally 1/3 tsp of each color added to 2 pumps of the resin. You can vary the color by changing the proportions of tempra powder. Tempra paints are all mineral based and do not affect the performance of the West epoxy. They are recommended by West. I also use the West pump system which ensures very accurate metering.

I find this thread telling.

I've used all of the above (We've a West distributor right down the road) and have found no advantage to them. I also use epoxies in a lot of non-gun situations so I'very tried a lot NOT mentioned here. Every group has a "best" list. For instance Simpson and Hilti vie for 1st in concrete while Hysol rules in aviation. So, in the interest of being "different" (how ironic) I'm voting for Acraglas.

I believe it's made by Hysol.

And it tints just like West, in fact if you visit one of the industrial plastics and molding suppliers you'll find tinting wheels which help with color-matching of epoxies and gel-coats.

I mix mine by weight which allows for perfect proportions of any volume.

So here's a vote for Brownells.

:)

Back