What's in your Pocket?

Most accurante

Most accurate,Off the shelf, hand gun I ever owned was a H&K P9S,.45 cal.

Glenn

out of the box handgun I ever owned is a Colt Gold Cup NM Series 70. Upgraded the recoil spring and guide and its still awesomely accurate.

gold cup

Ive got a series 70 gold cup I bought new and it wouldn't shoot until I had a 1911 smith put a barrel and bushing in it. It will shoot good now. I don't know what was wrong with it.Doug

Wonder what that Colt python that Francis gave to his grandson would sell for? Nice pistol that one was!!!

Python

I agree with Lee on the value of the Python. My love affair with the Colt Python revolver, which was called the “Snake”,began, back in the mid seventies, with the TV series, "Starsky and Hutch". Yea,I’m that old. The Blue Colt python, with six inch barrel, that Hutch carried, was the high light of the show, for me.

I bought one,New, Blue, with the six inch barrel and a custom trigger job, from the factory. Double action, was smooth as silk. I never shot anything but magnum loads in it. Very fine piece. I traded it for something benchrest related, “Arrrgh”

One like that now in, excellent condition, would cost as much as a new Benchrest Rifle.
I’ve traded, or sold, a lot of guns I should have kept. "arrrgh"

Glenn

You can't touch a clean Python for much under $3,000 nowadays. Wish I bought a few in the 90's. Problem was, I thought they were over-priced at $700 - $800 back then.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I bought my brand new 6" Python in November of 1979 for $399.99 at the Gun room in Shrewsbury, MA. First handgun that I ever owned. Boy the bluing on those old Pythons were just unreal. The finest bluing job of any firearm that I have ever seen.

I agree with Lee on the value of the Python. My love affair with the Colt Python revolver, which was called the “Snake”,began, back in the mid seventies, with the TV series, "Starsky and Hutch". Yea,I’m that old. The Blue Colt python, with six inch barrel, that Hutch carried, was the high light of the show, for me.

I bought one,New, Blue, with the six inch barrel and a custom trigger job, from the factory. Double action, was smooth as silk. I never shot anything but magnum loads in it. Very fine piece. I traded it for something benchrest related, “Arrrgh”

One like that now in, excellent condition, would cost as much as a new Benchrest Rifle.
I’ve traded, or sold, a lot of guns I should have kept. "arrrgh"

Glenn

What was the movie where somebody had the 8 inch nickel version?

I bought my brand new 6" Python in November of 1979 for $399.99 at the Gun room in Shrewsbury, MA. First handgun that I ever owned. Boy the bluing on those old Pythons were just unreal. The finest bluing job of any firearm that I have ever seen.

Be nice to have another one some day.

Guess this Bill Davis Cougar will have to serve as a replacement.

Attachments

• COUGAR.jpg
    COUGAR.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 179
Two years before Starsky and Hutch debut which was in 75, David Soul carried a 4" blued Python when he played one of the dirty cops in the 1973 movie Magnum Force.

Was it the Shaft movie where he had the 8 inch nickel piece? Whatever, as I recall it was intimidating.

Here is a pretty good listing.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Colt_Python

It couldn't of been in the original Richard Roundtree movie because that was I think the early 70's and the 8" Python didn't come out until 1980. I remember that because I bought my 6" in Nov of 79 and the 8" came out the next year. The only fault of the Python is that if you did a lot of shooting the cylinder was prone to go out of timing.

Ive got a series 70 gold cup I bought new and it wouldn't shoot until I had a 1911 smith put a barrel and bushing in it. It will shoot good now. I don't know what was wrong with it.Doug

Just sold a real mint series 70 I bought mid '70's, once I bought Kimberand Les Baer it never came out of thecloset.

I traded

a new S&W K frame kit gun that had failed to get the S&W logo stamp on the left side of the frame with Larry Higgins for a mint 4" Python in the late 70s. I shot the gun a few times and just did not like the grips, grip shape and sights. I sold it. Sorry I did only because of the run up in price. As Pag said, the bluing and polish was nice. I have some old Colts revolvers...and the one that stands out is a 357 Magnum model. They made some great revolvers. Does anyone know what is going on with them these days? I know the declared bankruptcy but I've heard several rumors that they may go under??

Tim, I shot a friends Kimber once and I agree that it is a beautiful 1911 style pistol and it was very accurate.

python

My cousin got one of those 400 dollar pythons down at Blairstown back in the 70s. I never had a python had a diamondback and traded it for something. I probably hurt the value of that gold cup with that barrel and bushing but I couldn't hit a bull in the butt with it. Doug

I bought that Python in 1965 for $137.00 at the same time my brother bought a S&W Trooper for $118.00. Well, I gave it to my grandson a couple months ago. I saw one at Cabela's that was not in such pristine condition as mine and they were asking $3995.00

The smart old gun trader told his wife “in 1890 a $20 gold piece would buy a Colt single action..it still will”!!

Back