What's Happening with the Beggs Cartridges?

Use a ballistic pendulum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_pendulum

You can measure the real recoil by setting the rifle up as a ballistic pendulum. In this case, the rifle is the pendulum rather than the pendulum catching the bullet. The math is rather straightforward but does require some trig. The weight of the two rifles can vary since it is part of the equation. The barrels would have to be close to the same length.
This does work as we did it in a college freshman physics class. Course that was about 50 years ago when you could still get away with firing a rifle in a classroom. :D If I remember correctly, we determined both bullet velocity and foot pounds of recoil energy. The rifle was suspended on two strings. A string was attached to the buttstock and was pulled thru an eyelet that held it lightly. The block the bullet was fired into also had a string attached that measured its total travel. Basically, you are measuring the distance that the rifle and the block is lifted upward on its way back. This is translated into foot pounds of force.
If you do this, it is no conjecture, just straight mechanical measurements.

Joe

Muzzle Blast after-effect

Devil’s Advocate

After shooting the 30BR I am more curious as to the tune characteristics and mechanical issues over felt recoil with the 6. Looking forward to next year and more testing and observations.

Ken

I absolutely hate, hate, hate turning case necks.

I am really interested in the 6mm Beggs.

Currently I shoot a Sako L461 6 PPC with an aftermarket tight neck(.262") chambered SS bull barrel.The twist is 1:14". I have found that I lack the patience to turn case necks. I love the challenge of hunting down a bullet and powder load combination, which where I am at with the rifle. I am able to get groups in the .375" size at 100 yards, but that is as far as I have gone. I was thinking of having the barrel opened up to a no turn neck diameter of .274". My main use for the rifle is shooting off a bench through paper with a competitive attitude, but I do not ever see myself shooting competitively as I am not at all publicly competitive. I like to see if I can reach a goal and be satisfied within myself and prefer to keep my business to myself. I am not one to show off nor do I like being noticed achieving great gains in public.

As for the 6mm Beggs, you mention that a .220 Russian cartridge uses a .125 radius at the junction of the neck and shoulder. Is this fire formed into the case or does it require a separate procedure? I am guessing if the chamber is reamed with a 6mm Beggs reamer then fire forming could work, but please fill me in on this.
thank you.

I am really interested in the 6mm Beggs.

Currently I shoot a Sako L461 6 PPC with an aftermarket tight neck(.262") chambered SS bull barrel.The twist is 1:14". I have found that I lack the patience to turn case necks. I love the challenge of hunting down a bullet and powder load combination, which where I am at with the rifle. I am able to get groups in the .375" size at 100 yards, but that is as far as I have gone. I was thinking of having the barrel opened up to a no turn neck diameter of .274". My main use for the rifle is shooting off a bench through paper with a competitive attitude, but I do not ever see myself shooting competitively as I am not at all publicly competitive. I like to see if I can reach a goal and be satisfied within myself and prefer to keep my business to myself. I am not one to show off nor do I like being noticed achieving great gains in public.

As for the 6mm Beggs, you mention that a .220 Russian cartridge uses a .125 radius at the junction of the neck and shoulder. Is this fire formed into the case or does it require a separate procedure? I am guessing if the chamber is reamed with a 6mm Beggs reamer then fire forming could work, but please fill me in on this.
thank you.

I've been shooting a 6 Beggs in Ultimatebenchrest competition for 3-4 years. The rifle is a sleeved Remington 721 in a Shilen Raygun stock and is very accurate. There is little fire forming involved in the 6 Beggs. All that is involved is expanding the case necks from .224 to .243, load and fire. The radius will form into the fired case, but you really have to know what you are looking for to even see it. If the barrel has many rounds through it, I don't know that I would bother having it rechambered to the Beggs, but that is your choice. The chambering is a good one. Feel free to contact me if I can help with loads and such.

Rick

Well, I have my no turn 220 "Russian" Beggs built a few years ago. Haven't shot it yet. I did get some loaded rounds with Ronnie Cheek Bullets.
I need to get to the range.

Yeah, I am just in the thought process, but I am done turning necks. I bought a Sako 6PPC USA but it showed up with a Timney trigger in it and that was not mentioned when purchased unfortuneatly. I am keeping it, because I love the rifles just not Timney triggers. I have three Canjar set triggers on the way to me for three of my rifles. One for each the 6PPC's and the third for a custom long action I am going to re-chamber to 6.5 x 55SE I think at this point. As for the tight neck 6PPC, I am going to have it re-chambered back to 6PPC USA. This way I can just load Norma cases and shoot and not need to worry about turning necks. I do not shoot competitively, just for the challenge of shooting the best group I can without raising any eyebrows.

Yeah, I am just in the thought process, but I am done turning necks. I bought a Sako 6PPC USA but it showed up with a Timney trigger in it and that was not mentioned when purchased unfortuneatly. I am keeping it, because I love the rifles just not Timney triggers. I have three Canjar set triggers on the way to me for three of my rifles. One for each the 6PPC's and the third for a custom long action I am going to re-chamber to 6.5 x 55SE I think at this point. As for the tight neck 6PPC, I am going to have it re-chambered back to 6PPC USA. This way I can just load Norma cases and shoot and not need to worry about turning necks. I do not shoot competitively, just for the challenge of shooting the best group I can without raising any eyebrows.

Canjar triggers? Your source please.

As for the Canjar triggers, I appologise for not replying sooner. I found a guy in Montana that sells used Sako rifles and he happened to buy the remaining Canjars from the wife of the maker. She had them on hand after the business was liquidated. (I am told the gentleman died and the wife had to close the business afterwards) I bought three of them for my Sakos, but he said he had a few left. I think I paid $275/$300ish for each trigger. I think it was about $975 after I received them in the mail.

I have put them on my Sako Varmint models to try out compared to the factory match triggers and for shooting off a bench they really are nice. I never really had a jewel type trigger before, so these are like the cats meow for me. I have yet to hunt with them, so I am not sure how the pull weight is during the adrenaline rush. These are the ones you push forward for the really light trigger pull weight or you can just pull them with out setting the trigger forward, I figured out really quick this was obviously for when hunting. I will try to find out which store this gentleman has up there. I think there are like two stores with online websites in Montanna.

Last edited:
This topic is pretty old, but I am interested in having a 6mm Beggs built for me. I would build the rifle myself, but I have very limited experience in gunsmithing, let alone building a varmint/benchrest rifle.

I found some contact information for him last night and sent him an email. With any luck he will get back to me.

Mike’s Custom Shop in Montana. That is the store I bought the Canjars from. I found him on guns international and sent him a message. I think he had some posted for sale there and out of curiosity I asked if he had any for Sakos. He replied that he had several Canjars for several different sako models. I ordered three over the phone and sent him a check. A few weeks later I received them. Happy happy happy so far with them.

Last edited:
Back