what would be a good cartridge to build on a 223 bolt face for 300 yards and in BR?

D

Danw530

i have a 223 bolt face action, and was wondering what would be a good cartridge to build for 300 and in benchrest

Why limit yourself..spend a little and have the bolt face opened up for a larger cartridge and choose the one that is most competitive...

fair enough,

i had thought about buying a PTG bolt in the 308 bolt face for a 6 ppc anyone have one of those?

DanW...

Do what I did...
I put the .223 bolt on the bench...
I bought a Dave Kiff PTG bolt in 6PPC w/sako extractor...
You can use the .308 bolt with the remington spring extractor and it works 95% of the time on a 6PPC, but sometimes it only pulls the cases out 1/2" before coming off the rim of the case...
I like my 6PPC on my Rem 700 actions it is a slight bit more accurate than my 6BR's...I just like these small capacity 6mm's...
Thanks...the colonel...

would the 6X45 be a good 100-200 benchrest cartridge with a 14 twist lilja 3 groove barrel?

at least thats the barrel i had thought about after reading some reviews unless you all have some other reccomendations,

at least you can get good bullets for it. the rest is up to you but to be competitive that's a choice you have to make. you could even shoot it in the sporter class since a .22 won't work there

.222 Remington. Or maybe a .300 Whisper. Might be a bit of a stretch for the latter though.

Last edited:
do you want to shoot benchrest with it? don't choose a .22 or you'll be sitting out in sporter class every weekend. a 6x45 is the only choice I know of for actual benchrest altho it is not a very good one.

Back