What would a 14 yr old girl need to get into compitition shooting....

A

Afponiky

Besides a gun....

I'm looking for some help in getting some gear for my daughter to start shooting competition. What should I look at to start with and does anyone have any gently used equipment that I can buy from you?

Thanks, GRP

Not enough information. What type of shooting, rimfire, benchrest, F-class, etc.?

I've gotten her a Marlin 2000. (the club we joined was getting rid of them to get rifles that had more than a single shot capacity to shoot at Camp Perry). I have to get sights for the rifle (I believe Lyman sites are the proper ones). She has shown interest in shooting from 25 yd to 300 or more. She has taken over my M&P15 for the longer range shooting which I'll never get back and has her own 1022 (just an old one but a good one). I have to find a mat, jacket, glove, spotting scope etc...

I am not that knowledgeable with benchrest shooting or F-class. I'm still learning.

Any help with teaching me with the needs of that kind of shooting and the gear needed would be great.

I don't know if getting her into a Jr. league would be good or just get her into shooting with the big boys from the start.

I've shot high power and can teach her the basics, but I've got a lot to learn about all the different types of shooting out there and which equipment she will need.

I'm just glad she has the interest in doing it.

Thanks,,

Last edited by a moderator:
A JR league is always a good Idea to learn the basics and a coach other than dad is a good idea (learned that from experence) but are you trying to get her into centerfire or smallbore? Prone or 4 position?

GRP,
Find a club in your area that has a Jr. program. If it's competitive they'll be shooting 3 position- P, K, S. They usually have loaner equipment for new shooters, and there's always used equipment for sale.
Best of luck!

GRP,
Find a club in your area that has a Jr. program. If it's competitive they'll be shooting 3 position- P, K, S. They usually have loaner equipment for new shooters, and there's always used equipment for sale.
Best of luck!

This is great advice and also this is a good way for a young person, boy or girl to get a college scholarship.

Besides a gun....

I'm looking for some help in getting some gear for my daughter to start shooting competition. What should I look at to start with and does anyone have any gently used equipment that I can buy from you?

Thanks, GRP
Having been an NRA Certified instructor for the last 40 years, I've found that in people new to shooting firearms that the bang is worse than the bite. Good sound suppression muffs AND well fitting earplugs combined seem to help more than any recoil suppression aids.

Back