What weight of Varget for 105 & 80 gr. Bergers?

G

gt40

I have read that 32 + 32.5 grains of Varget is a preferred load for Berger 105 gr. VLDs in 6mm Norma BR. Isn't this load above maximum listed by Hodgden? I have been shooting 28.3 grains for the same bullets with pretty good accuracy. Can I increase it to 32.5 grains safely using CCI BR4s & Lapua brass in a Savage Target Action with a Brux 26" heavy varmint barrel? Will this help to increase the accuracy?

I have been using 32.0 grains of Varget with good accuracy from Berger .80 gr. Match bullets. Would I do better with 32.5 or more?

This rifle & caliber is new to me and has been shooting pretty good without working up a load.

I want to be ready for the next Benchrest shoot at Riverbend here in North Georgia.

gt40

I've been using 30.3 grains of Varget with the CCI450's in my BR with the 105 VLD's. .269" Nk, .104" Freebore

gt40 (a word to the wise is sufficient)

first learn how to read excessive pressure signs!!!

then one works up a load that works for YOUR RIFLE (this is called tuning the load to your rifle. not someone elses rifle recipe, OK?) keep good notes!! at the "first indication of excess pressure" back off to your last safe load that has no indications of excess pressure. typically when the load goes to "full throttle" accuracy will shed off fast.

it is truly rare for an accuracy node to hit at full throttle. actually if that occures one would be best advised to back off to the lower accuracy node in your barrel. this is why the audette style of load testing is such a good practice, as it keeps one from quickly burning out a hummer barrel and overloading a cartridge. if your goal is to get more fps, well use a bigger boiler, so to speak.

Fred

Fireball Fred, I do know how to look for pressure signs. Thank you

I have not gone above 28.3 grains of Varget with Berger 105 gr. Match Hunting VLDs.

I have been loading the Berger Match 80 grain bullets with 32.0 grains of Varget and I loaded up 10 rounds at 32.5 grains of Varget for the same 80 grain Match Bergers to see how they shoot at Hodgdens maximum published load.

This coming Saturday I am planning to be at Riverbend for their score shoot.

gt40

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 30 grs. of Varget with the 105 Berger VLD amd CCI primers in my 6BR Normra with a 29" Broughton 5C barrel, 32grs. would be way too much pressure in my rifle.
I get just under 2900fps with that load.

Wayne aka WAMBO

gt40,

I think 32.0 gr of varget with a 105 gr would be very hot in about any gun. The most I have run is 31.0 in a 6BR. The most I have run in a 6BRX was 33.5 gr of Varget. If you want more speed try RL15. I get 2900 f/s in my 6BR. I would ran your 6Br where it shoots best.

Pushing the 6BR, you can ran into problems, very fast. If you are on the edge, you can start punching primers, on a warm day.

Mark Schronce

Back