What to do with these?

lkydvl

Hart Action.jpg
I acquired a consecutive numbered pair (2xx-2xx) of these Hart receivers at a gun show. They have not been barreled by the looks of them. Called Hart and they said they were built in 1969 for Glenn Newick. Having read some of his books and writings I know who he was.

One is a .308 Bolt face, the other a 222. Am still stunned no one got to them before I did! Now the question is, what should I do with them. I don't shoot bench rest competition but love the look of the rifles of the era these were the "item" to be had. Would appreciate some suggestions as to what one should do with them. Other than drool and dream over them I am unsure.

Andre`

Never seen another like that one

Must be their rendition of a Polar? Good actions but there is little need for all that length, IMHO.

Pete

...One is a .308 Bolt face, the other a 222.
Loading port length of the .308 bolt face action? Asking because if it is .308 length, it adds to the possibilities for caliber choices.

...Now the question is, what should I do with them. I don't shoot bench rest competition but love the look of the rifles of the era these were the "item" to be had. Would appreciate some suggestions as to what one should do with them. Other than drool and dream over them I am unsure.

Build a pair of prone only rifles? Or F-Class rifles? You might be surprised by how well such rifles can shoot.

Random thoughts - from another non-benchrester.

2.38" is a bit short for loading a .308 Winchester round, however, you should not have problems removing a fired case. One thought for a candidate cartridge: 6 BR. Using a 7 to 8 twist barrel, you can accurately drive 105 to 108 grain bullets out to 1000 yards.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

or a dasher or a 6bra....both a bump up from 6br and do better at 1000....if 600 is a goal then the 6br works well.
as far as the loading port, you tip in the round to get the bullet started then drop in the case. pull the bolt to remove a loaded round. try a few

2.38" is a bit short for loading a .308 Winchester round, however, you should not have problems removing a fired case. One thought for a candidate cartridge: 6 BR. Using a 7 to 8 twist barrel, you can accurately drive 105 to 108 grain bullets out to 1000 yards.

2.38" is a bit short for loading a .308 winchester round, however, you should not have problems removing a fired case. One thought for a candidate cartridge: 6 br. Using a 7 to 8 twist barrel, you can accurately drive 105 to 108 grain bullets out to 1000 yards.

in ridgeway pa. They are hiting steel animals at 1000 yds with 6 br. With 105 ad108 gr. Bullets c0onsistly.

I had/have had one similar to that. It was a 6BR with coned bolt. I put it in a wood 40X stock with a 28 inch braked Hart barrel. It shot well. I say had, have had...in that a buddy owned it, i bought it, then sold it back to him, then bought it again, then sold it back to him. I plan to buy it back in time...

There really is no need for th elength. The idea was to create a sleeve...but it really didn't do much or anything. Jim Hart rebarreled mine and he really didn't think much of it.

Actually the bigger action was made by Hart, I believe, to compete against the big action Al Weber was making at the time. The Weber action looked very much like the Hart.

I started BR shootin in 069, and there were several Unlimited rigs up here in the NW using that Hart action.

It is actually a two piece set-up, with the front extension tube threaded onto the receiver with a Rem. style recoil lug sandwiched in between the two.

Most of them shot pretty good. My mentor, Manley Oakley shot one,

FWIW,
Steve Kostanich

Al,

Yes I remember Manley messing with the short 6 BR. I think Dan Dowling actually started it, and it was called a 6 Talldog. A few other guys messed with it too here in the NW area.
The cases were a pain in the neck to make, unless you had a die set up that Ski Otto made to form the brass.

Manley also fooled around with a 25 BR. He actually made 25 cal. dies to make match bullets. It shot pretty good, despite the heavier recoil.

Tom Dickson set our HV 100 yd 5 shot group range record with a short 22 BR. The group was .032! I was shooting on the bench next to him when he shot it. Got the first 4 in there and the condition changed, he waited it out, no sighter, and bang, the last shot just made the hole "flick" when it passed thru!!

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

Al,

Yes I remember Manley messing with the short 6 BR. I think Dan Dowling actually started it, and it was called a 6 Talldog. A few other guys messed with it too here in the NW area.
The cases were a pain in the neck to make, unless you had a die set up that Ski Otto made to form the brass.

Manley also fooled around with a 25 BR. He actually made 25 cal. dies to make match bullets. It shot pretty good, despite the heavier recoil.

Tom Dickson set our HV 100 yd 5 shot group range record with a short 22 BR. The group was .032! I was shooting on the bench next to him when he shot it. Got the first 4 in there and the condition changed, he waited it out, no sighter, and bang, the last shot just made the hole "flick" when it passed thru!!

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

The 25BR I played with back in the late ‘90’s was originally done with a reamer Glenn Newick had. I still have it. It has “25 Agg Whacker” stamped on it.

He also had an 8 groove Shilen barrel that I used on that build.

The problem with that reamer was it was dimensioned for the original Remington 6BR Brass that was the parent case and the web was too tight for the new, (for then), Lapua 6BR Brass. I had a reamer ground that accommodated the Lapua, and simply called it the “25 Whacker”. That is the reamer that I shot those great 25 cal 82 grn Fowler Bullets out of.

I still have both.

As a note, Glenn was my mentor.

the 25br i played with back in the late ‘90’s was originally done with a reamer glenn newick had. I still have it. It has “25 agg whacker” stamped on it.

He also had an 8 groove shilen barrel that i used on that build.

The problem with that reamer was it was dimensioned for the original remington 6br brass that was the parent case and the web was too tight for the new, (for then), lapua 6br brass. I had a reamer ground that accommodated the lapua, and simply called it the “25 whacker”. That is the reamer that i shot those great 25 cal 82 grn fowler bullets out of.

I still have both.

As a note, glenn was my mentor.
jackie they using 6br. At thousand try 25 with 111 gr spitzer at shilotes made one4 for deer shoots like bench gun also made the bullets look as good as siera.

Back