What new products are benchrest shooters looking for

B

benchrest

I am trying to get an idea of what kind of new products or ideas that fellow shooters are looking for that is no longer available or not currently made.

Smart Bullets

Smart bullets. You know, the ones that will find the X no matter how bad the shooter messes up.

Dick

Well

Ideas never die. In fact, I find that we keep re-discovering them. Probably runs in about 10-15 year cycles.

As for a real life products that no longer exist, and never will again??, About 50,000 of Allie Euber's originol bullets would be nice. Or maybe that Unlimited Barrel I had in 2000.

On a more recent note, I am still trying to trade 40 pounds of 8208 for an equal amount of 683-03 133. No takers as of yet...........jackie

eubers....

Ideas never die. In fact, I find that we keep re-discovering them. Probably runs in about 10-15 year cycles.

As for a real life products that no longer exist, and never will again??, About 50,000 of Allie Euber's originol bullets would be nice. Or maybe that Unlimited Barrel I had in 2000.

On a more recent note, I am still trying to trade 40 pounds of 8208 for an equal amount of 683-03 133. No takers as of yet...........jackie

Oh yes... those Eubers were special... my dad shot the last of them a while a go...... sad day.....

I am trying to get an idea of what kind of new products or ideas that fellow shooters are looking for that is no longer available or not currently made.

I'd like a good barrel cooler if you're looking for something to make. A no hassle, portable easy to use barrel cooler.

I'd like a sighter cam for the Jon Loh rest. No, I take that back. I'd LOVE a sighter cam for the Jon Loh. The speed screw on it just aint fast enough. The SInclair speed screw for the Hart's and Bald Eagles is way faster but rather than adapt a new screw, why not just do the ultimate and have a cam made up?

Another thing I wanted was a loading block holder for the Jon Loh but nobody made one. So I designed this one and I'll bet there's lots of guys who'd like to add one to their rest:
PICT0292.jpg

PICT0286.jpg

Last edited:
Bolt Shrouds that fit!

There is a need for bolt shrouds that don't have sloppy threads and excess space between the shroud and the bolt raceway. It could be in the form of a kit with a tap the proper size, I don't know what is the best solution for thread uniformity but there has to be one. Why this detail isn't paid more attention to by action makers is baffeling!

Lynn,
Think along the lines of a speedometer cable or flex shaft attached to the windage screw then bent down to set beside the rear screw and someway to hold it there. I tried and finally gave up and got a coax top.

Donald

Pete

Several manufacturers started counter boring the bolt body for about 1/2 inch, then making the shroud with just about a "zero" fit in that portion. That was a major improvement on the early Farleys.

Gene Bukys took it a step further. He made some shrouds for several of us out of Delrin, impregnated with Graphite or Teflon, (can't remember which). They have "zero" clearance, are slick as ice, and last forever. At least, the one I have on my favorite Sporter has probably seen 15,000 rounds and shows no sign of wear. All of my Farleys have them.

You are correct in your thinking. Tightening up all of those parts and making them truly straight with each other solves a lot of fire controle problems.........jackie

There would be a demand, eh?

Several manufacturers started counter boring the bolt body for about 1/2 inch, then making the shroud with just about a "zero" fit in that portion. That was a major improvement on the early Farleys.

Gene Bukys took it a step further. He made some shrouds for several of us out of Delrin, impregnated with Graphite or Teflon, (can't remember which). They have "zero" clearance, are slick as ice, and last forever. At least, the one I have on my favorite Sporter has probably seen 15,000 rounds and shows no sign of wear. All of my Farleys have them.

You are correct in your thinking. Tightening up all of those parts and making them truly straight with each other solves a lot of fire controle problems.........jackie

Wonder if Gene would consider making more of them? Of course whomever is making them for sale now could modify what they are doing slightly and offer some tight ones, eh?

Ya know - - - these vestiges of the Rem 700 need to go away sooner or later.

Last edited:
Pete

Just my opinion, but I doubt they have improved on the basic Remington Screw in Shroud. When it's right, it is as good as it gets.......jackie

My latest BAT

Just my opinion, but I doubt they have improved on the basic Remington Screw in Shroud. When it's right, it is as good as it gets.......jackie

and I noticed that my Hall both have tight fitting bolt shrouds. Both of them are a bit of a departure from the Rem clone stuff. Then there are those danged angled cocking piece surfaces ! Gettin it right is the issue, eh?

Last edited:
Bill @ Bald Eagle

Donald
A shooter at my club has one made out of a choke cable but a kit would be nice.
Lynn

Made a cable unit for his rest top before he quit making rests. I noticed that he still uses one. One might contact him.

We could use...

the wind flag stands that Ray Wild used to make. He made the very best stands and the very worst wind flags ever.

We also need another supplier for bullet jackets. Every now and then somebody decides they are getting into the jacket business. Alas, so far that hasn't resulted in any more jackets. Getting anything from a single supplier is risky and usually expensive.

Dick

Back