What kind of gun? Please help

M

motojoe86

Hi, I have a gun I receive in a trade on some work owed and I have not been able to get a hold of guy I traded for. It is a heavy (25 lb) gun. It has a 24" stainless barrel. Its older and he said it uses an older/outdated round. He said either a .224 or a .242. I am thinking it was .242 but I can't find anything on it. Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to sell but I need to be able to say what it is. Also, I can't see name on action, it has a stainless plate over it and scope mounted on it. Thanks in advance!

For a start you should be able to tell the difference between a .22 cal bore and a 6mm bore.

.243 = 6mm

.223 = .22 cal

I'm positive its not a .223 nor a .243. Is a .244 an older outdated round? My computer is broke and I am using my phone but if there's any chance anyone on here could post a picture if I emailed it to them? I'm sorry, I have no idea about benchrests. Nor most rifles in general. All I've owned, save for an ar-15 is .22's and 12 gauge shotguns. I know I'm not giving much to work off but I greatly appreciate all your help. If there's anyone that can post pics it would be awesome. If you can send me a pm with email address and I'll send them to you or email me at motojoe86@yahoo.com and I'll reply with them? Thanks a lot guys!

It's possible the rifle is marked .244 Rem or .244 Remington; that is an obsolete version of the 6mm Remington cartridge. Look on both sides of the barrel just forward of the receiver. If so, it's most likely a Remington Model 700, but that is not a certainty.

The caliber is one part and the chambering is another.

Such as: What size (diameter) bullet and how big is the cartridge case?

Could be a Wildcat 6mm of some sort. Could be a tight neck chambering. Could have a Improved chamber.

If the barrel is not stamped as to what it is, then there certainly is a problem.

A cast could be made of the chamber.

If the bore looks good (almost new) using a bore scope the barrel could be rechambered, but most likely not.

Fun stuff when it's raining cats and dogs;-)=

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the help. I just sold it, it was a .222. Guess gun was 25 yrs old and was an outdated extinct round. Found someone that could reload bullets and bought it. I think Remington .222? Thanks a lot!

It's possible the rifle is marked .244 Rem or .244 Remington; that is an obsolete version of the 6mm Remington cartridge. Look on both sides of the barrel just forward of the receiver. If so, it's most likely a Remington Model 700, but that is not a certainty.

Actually there is NO difference between the .244 Remington and the 6mm Remington cartridge. The difference is in the rifles so marked. The .244 was a slower twist and got it's clock cleaned by the similar in performance .243 Winchester. The .244 was unable to handle the heavier 100 grain bullets and thus lost the market to the .243 which was considered the better deer round. The 6mm rifle with the faster twist was an attempt to recapture the market, but it was too late as the .243 was already well established.

actually there is no difference between the .244 remington and the 6mm remington cartridge. The difference is in the rifles so marked. The .244 was a slower twist and got it's clock cleaned by the similar in performance .243 winchester. The .244 was unable to handle the heavier 100 grain bullets and thus lost the market to the .243 which was considered the better deer round. The 6mm rifle with the faster twist was an attempt to recapture the market, but it was too late as the .243 was already well established.

rif.

Write for clairity..... ,244 is NOT an obsolete version of the 6mm CARTRIDGE. It is the same cartridge renamed.

That's splitting a pretty damn fine hair. I guess the argument depends on your definition of obsolete. Mine is practical; I can't buy new .244 Rem ammunition, but I can buy a box of 6mm Rem, or brass with the correct headstamp. Not only that, I can buy 6mm Rem ammunition loaded with bullet weights that were never sold in .244 Rem ammunition. As near as we can determine, there is one person posting in this thread that likely does not know that .224 Rem and 6mm Rem are identical, except for their headstamps (and possibly the loads).

So, tell me, what did your comments contribute toward resolving the thread originator's question?

AeroE,

My apology for stepping on your toes.
I was merely trying to expand on the history of the .244/6mm for a newbie.

No problem, then. Sitting around a table, your comment would have been directed directly to the noob, and most likely you would have picked up from the conversation that I did know the difference.

I'd put up a smiley with beers, but we don't have one. Later ...

Probably my fault, I have a tendancy to throw extraneous data into a discussion. I'll be having a beer in about 4 hours. Cheers!

That's splitting a pretty damn fine hair. I guess the argument depends on your definition of obsolete. Mine is practical; I can't buy new .244 Rem ammunition, but I can buy a box of 6mm Rem, or brass with the correct headstamp. Not only that, I can buy 6mm Rem ammunition loaded with bullet weights that were never sold in .244 Rem ammunition. As near as we can determine, there is one person posting in this thread that likely does not know that .224 Rem and 6mm Rem are identical, except for their headstamps (and possibly the loads).

So, tell me, what did your comments contribute toward resolving the thread originator's question?

This is the post that I was refering to.
Butch

Back