What is the coldest temperature anyone can remember shooting a BR match in?

Glus ins....

"With that cold of temperatures, at what point would you start to be concerned about the stocks glued in action?
BUTCH"

I think it depends on the stock and the type of epoxy. I've had them come out by letting them sit in a hot car for a while. Compare that with the HV BAT/Scoville that I usually shoot at WWCCA in the Winter. I've been trying to get the action out of that stock for about four years now. I glued it in with JB Weld. I'm afraid of separating the balsa and carbon fiber so I gave up on it. That HV stock belongs to George Carter and I've tried heating the action after letting it sit outside in the bitter cold for a long while. It just wants to stay in that stock. I think the bedding is okay; It's shot 19X's at 200 yards and stays clean at 200 yards most of the time. When it falls out of that stock from old age, I'll give it back to George.

Once at Phoenix Kenny Hottenstein's action came out of the stock on Friday afternoon before the match started. This time I think it had something to do with the heat. We drove to Lowe's and bought some JB Weld and glued it back in. Kenny finished in the top ten with the thing. It was kind of funny; when the action came out and we borrowed Lou Murdica's hand grinder to rough up the bottom of the thing, everybody kind of vacated the area. Later, when we started the gluing process, we had an audience of advisors.

As Gammon mentioned, I was with Tony in South Africa in 2009 when his action came out of its stock. The US Team's guns flew over in the hold of plane on the trans-Atlantic flight and I remember seeing the outside temperature listed on the info screen at -40 F when we were above 35,000 feet. Not sure how cold the hold got, but Tony was complaining that his gun wasn't shooting and the bedding was the culprit.

I think you just need to test them to see if they move. Pull between the barrel and the fore-end. If it moves (a general term - "move" could mean the action pops out of the stock), it's probably loose. Some guys pinch the barrel and fore-end together and measure to see if the tang at the rear of the action lifts slightly out of the stock. May not be a bad thing to re-bed and re-glue every couple of years.

PS If you decide to "test" the stock, it may be a good thing to do so at least two days before you want to shoot it; and you may want to have some Devcon, MarineTex or JB Weld around before you start the procedure.

Cold in Texas

I remember attending a match at New Braunsfels,TX(Dietz Range) ,several years ago. It was during the month of April or May. Everybody and I mean everybody showed up Friday before the Match, wearing short sleeve shirts.

It was typical Central Texas weather in April/May,Mid 70’s. Real pleasant.

Some of you may remember. We woke up Saturday morning to a surprise Cold front. Temperatures had dropped into the mid 30’s. Nobody brought jackets. We shivered through the day on Saturday. Runny noses,numb fingers,watery eyes. Accidently breathe on the ocular lens of your scope and you’d spend most of a seven minute match,trying to clear off the condensation.

At the end of the day,on Saturday,everybody skipped supper and stampeded to the nearest sporting goods store to find some heavy jackets. The weather forecast predicted the same for the next day(Sunday). To everybody’s dismay,the Sporting goods stores in the area had put away all the winter clothes,in anticipation for warm Spring weather. So we were just SOL. :(

Some of the local shooters heard about this misfortune and gathered up all the jackets they could find at home and brought them to the range on Sunday for the Out Of Towners. Size didn’t matter. Bill Dorsey is a pretty big guy. I can see Bill now walking around wearing some kids jacket with sleeves extending half way down his fore arm. :D

On Sunday,it never got above 40. Coldest Match I’ve ever attended.
I keep a jacket behind the seat in my Truck. Just in case.

Glenn

Last edited:
Several years ago The Torch and I went to the early match in St. Louis (what I've come to call the snowball match). It was not too bad on Saturday, maybe in the high 30's when we started in the morning. We took a break for lunch, but when it was time to start the HV in the pm, we had to wait. It was snowing so hard, it was impossible to see the target frame at 100 yards. It eventually stopped, and we were able to shoot the rest of the day. Mother Nature saved the real treat for Sunday. When we started at 8:00, it was 8 degrees and the wind was blowing in our faces at what must have been 20 mph. That's the coldest I've ever shot in at a match.

I'm must be a slow learner, as I'm planning on trying to get to the snowball match again this weekend, with highs in the 20's, and then it sounds like a 350 mile drive home in a snow storm. I've heard it said it should be called the Cabin Fever Match.

Jim

Jim, if it makes you feel better, I may be a little slower than you. I'll be there to and I'm driving from Wichita.

"It was so cold....."

"It was so cold....." Here in Maine it's often on the cool side or down right "cold"! One early season 100yd match it was very cold, the frigid temps were forecast though, so everyone came preloaded. I think Pete Wass won that Match, and what a Match. Really cold, no wind, you know the kind of day. Everyone had used "match primers", and "it was so cold," that when we commenced firing, the "match primer's" detonation and powder"s ignition cooled so quickly that bullets didn't make it to the targets! Pete Wass ,very often one step ahead of most Maine shooters, (example, he's in Florida right now) had the foresight to load with Magnum primers, I think he shot a 245 6X. "It was so cold" that some of the guys who tried to clean, found that the Butch's froze, locking the cleaning rod in the bore. "It was so cold", that when I had to "tinkle," I really tinkled.....as the ice hit the ground.......(WARNING...Some Poetic License may have been taken in the Reporting of this Match.) Cheers, Charles

Back