What is possible with my .22LR 40X?

R

Russ57

I have one of the CMP 40X's in .22 LR. IIRC the action is based on the Remington 722 and is from the early 1960's. For a vareity of reasons I have decided to use a different rifle for my .22LR target work.

So I'm wondering what it would take to rechamber the rifle for a different caliber? I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible but I do what good accuracy. I'm not that particular about what caliber but if I could get to 6mm range that would be great. I just don't know what options are possible at the different price points. The barrel seems to have enough meat on it to be rebored or lined.

Russ

converting from centerfire to rimfire would be expensive- new bolt/barrel- you could probably trade for a center fire and be better off

IMO the cross section area of the bolt's 'locking lug to bolt body interface' is too thin to safely allow for conversion to any centerfire cartridge. I believe the bolt body would flex and eventually fail.

I've seen some of those CMP 40X RF rifles sell for pretty good money - sounds to me as if you'd be a whole lot better off to just sell it and get something closer to what you want without the expense of trying to convert it to a CF.

40x

Russ,

In this case the receiver "Based on" does not mean "same as".

Is your 40x a standard barrel or heavy?

Check your PM.

bjm

Back