What I saw at the Model Engineering show

M.D.

As an old retired high school metal shop teacher, they really hit a warm spot in my heart. Regrettfully due to the decline in high school shop programs in the last 20+ years, there will soon not be many folks who can do that kind of work, and even fewer who will be able to appreciate it.

"Mr. K":

You may remember me as one of your students in the mid-'70's.

My name is Rick, and I was friends with a guy named Laine.

I was the one who made knives, and cannons in your class.

I have to say that you were an inspiration to me, and to many others who took your classes, and even 30 some years later, I still use the knowledge and skills that you taught me.

In fact, just last Thursday, a guy asked me to turn a thrust bearing for a VW engine he was rebuilding, I am in the process of moving my shop to McMinnville, Or., and had packed up all my lathe tools.

I had no lathe bits, so the guy came up with a 3/8" easy out, that I tested with a file for hardness, and also spark tested on the grinder,(learned from you,) it seemed hard enough to make a tool from, so I ground it to shape on his grinder, using the skills that you taught us, and it worked out fine.

While doing the grinding, I told the guy the story of how Laine and I, while in machinist school at Clover Park, had ground our test lathe tools separately, and when we turned them in, we were accused of cheating, because the instructor was convinced that one person had ground both bits.

I said: "No, we each ground our own, we both had the same teacher!"

I am still a machinist, in a small shop where we have done prototype work for NASA, and the Skunk Works, among other high tech places, and make calibration assemblies for electron microscopes.

My father-in-law says: "Rick makes things that you can't see."

He's kind of right, we drill holes down to .002" in things like titanium, moly, tantalum, etc.

Not a day goes by that I don't use some tidbit of info that I learned from you, in metal shop class.

Thanks again, I often think back on my highschool days, and really appreciate your dedication to us, and all the knowledge that you passed on.

Rick

(However, I still am amazed at how patient you were with a bunch of goofy teenagers!!)

BTW, I still shoot, and still make knives, too!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shop class

It really is a shame the trades are not taught as they used to be. Many a talented individual, bored to tears by an academic curriculum, found themselves by taking a trade. There will come a time, in the not too distant future, when the current generation of tradespeople are gone. The U.S. will be totally dependent on growing nations like China, India and South Korea for their manufacturing and technical abilities. This country will be as dependent on foreign countries for their industrial capabilities as we are on foreign oil.

Lou Baccino

Who was the show promoter?
I'd like to see the show schedule.

Bottle Baby,
Just do a Google search for "model engineering show" it will come up. The next Expo is on April 24-25 2010 in Southgate, MI.

John Luitink

Rick,

I most definitely remember you and Laine. Thanks for the kind words. I am retired from teaching as you know, and do benchrest riflesmithing in my home shop. Have smithed a couple of world record holding rifles, which has been a real thrill for me. Judst can't stop making chips!!

Steve "Mr.K"" Kostanich

It looks like everyone at that show is at least 60 years of age. (?) I guess I would have to wait another 5 years to attend. :D

Seriously though, I missed my calling. This stuff is right up my alley. Tinkering with machinery and operating a lathe to produce accurate firearms and fine toys like this is what I would have really enjoyed.

It was hard to get any pictures

Serious!! Their were so many people. Some had cameras I can only dream about. Taking pictures of any and everything, like the Duesenberg, it was tough. Next year, I will get more pictures, plus items that the venders have at their tables.
It really is a Home Shop Machinist dream event.:)

Back