What I saw at the Model Engineering show

Brings back a memory I had forgotten. In grade 7 or 8 we took industrial arts, aka shop, twice a month in a different school, our school was small and had no shop class. While the instructor was in his office and we were supposed to be sanding wood or something stupid, I made a model cannon barrel out of aluminum on the lathe, can't remember what kind it was though. Drilled the bore, profiled the barrel shape like I thought it was supposed to look and when making the knob it parted off. As I picked the part up I got caught, we were NOT supposed to use the lathe... ever. The instructor was a little shocked, growled a bit, was ticked I used a piece of his stock and told me to get out of there. Best part was, next time he let me make a wood base for it as part of the class. :D Wish I still had it, not as nice as those obviously but it was pretty good.

Well

A friend of mine, made a Gatling gun in shop class. Just from pictures and some reading material from the Library. Whittemore-Prescott back in a different era. The other guy, I was with, made a set of Dueling-pistols for a History project. My dad remembers getting in the ring with other guys and settling disputes. What the hell happened??? To America.

Oh even a Fire engine ( La France Double pump )

517154398_GETd2-M.jpg

Francis didn't you do some time on one of these???:D

Model Engines

Ed Shilen the founder of the Barrel company is also a manufacture of fine ignition plane engines based on some very old designs.

WOW, great pics. attention to detail is awesome.

Would love to have had an opportunity to rumble through the tool bins, pity Scotland is so far away from you guys.

I look at an item in MidwayUK then in MidwayUSA and think how lucky you guys are that can buy the tools and jigs and so on at a fraction of what it costs in good old blighty.

Fabulous. We had an excellent shop department, had wood shop and metal shop and automotive shop. It had its own wing on the High School. The instructors were also excellent, and pillars of the community. You could bring your gun to school and work on it in shop. When I moved here somebody saw my welder and said:" Oh, you know how to weld!". It occurred to me that I grew up in a place where I didn't know anybody (male) who didn't know how to do basic gas and arc welding. It was mandatory in 7th grade shop.

P.S. If I were King I would repeal every law enacted after 1960. We lived in a better world without them. Look at the GCA of 68. I has accomplished nothing but to annoy honest citizens and increase a very malicious form of law enforcement.

M.D.

Thanks for posting the great pictures. As an old retired high school metal shop teacher, they really hit a warm spot in my heart. Regrettfully due to the decline in high school shop programs in the last 20+ years, there will soon not be many folks who can do that kind of work, and even fewer who will be able to appreciate it.

Over the last 40 years I have made eleven BR actions, and I noted there were no pictures of such. I think I know why - they are WAY too easy to build compared to the vast majority of projects shown. I can't imagine constructing an internal combustion engine like those shown. What a labor of love!

Thank again,
Steve Kostanich

if you would like a link to

Some people who build Radial engines. http://www.agelessengines.com/default.htm

Whittemore-Prescott is getting rid of their Shop class. Students aren't interested in making anything anymore. :( W-P sits out in a corn field, next to the Detroit-land and cattle ranch. Commonly know as the Pinkerton ranch.

Back