What has made the greatest contribution to shrinking aggs?

Just playing devils advocate, if the equipment is so much better today, then why are there few records set in this time?
Look at the IBS score records smallest 5 shot group there is one record set in 2012 everything else ranges from the late 1950'2 on up, with records from every decade. The onto Aggregate by class with the newest record in 2010, and again everything from 66 on up. The Grand agg by class 2010 is the newest, and they range from 1976 on up.

Now let look at the NBRSA records. In 5 shoot 100 yard you still have Pat McMillians LV .009 in 1973 and then Ralph Landons HV .027 in 1975, the newest record is Gary O'Cock unlimited .049 in 2009. Now looking at 200 yard all the records was set in 2009. Now as far as aggregates go there is some newer records, with exception to Rex Reneau 100 yd HV .1399 in 1982 and Dennis Thornbury 200 yd hv .1485 in 1996.

So with that said does it mean that the shooters today are not as good, or lucky as they have far superior equipment? Why are these records still on the books? Some may argue that these older targets are controversial as there was no moving backers, and so forth back in these times, but the records are still there and may not fall for a long time, if ever at all.

Now I think that the equipment is much better today, and I would argue that it is more readily available today that it was in the past, giving more shooters the ability to shoot better. The thing I see about Benchrest is it has turned into an equipment race, everyone running around buying the next best things, whether its powder, bullets, barrels, or what ever. The funny thing is in someway, the equipment of times of old was better than what we have today, case in point look at all the people chasing the holy grail of powder. Some still shooting old supplies of convened 8208 or t32, and then the race to mimic these powders.

I think what Greg Wally said sounds interesting to me, what if the sanctioning bodies did place a limit on equipment, (Such as wind flags.) on just a couple of match's? I think it would be interesting to see. What if they enacted rules like used in long range, shooting both group and score at the same time? How many good groups do you see in the mothball? Granted some oppose shooting in the mothball, due to the heavy black lines, but what if you made them do it? Putting the score aspect would change some strategies, do you chase your shot for a good group, or sacrifice it for a better score? I think it would be interesting. The amazing part is we are all spending large amount of money just for a piece of wood, and bragging rights.

Last edited:
I was listening to NASCAR Sirius Radio on the way home, and many callers were calling in, lamenting about fan attendance being down, and fewer teams actually showing up to qualify.

The cause? Cost of everything. The never ending equipment race. Just the same teams, (drivers), win all the time. The rest are just cannon fodder.

You could just substitute "Benchrest" in the conversation, and nothing would be much different.

It's the same with the NHRA, Boat Racing, or just about any endeavor that involves competition and high tech equipment.........jackie

Last edited:
Jackie is hitting it on the head and there is not much that can be done about it. When the wife and I attend a shoot (closest around 5.5 hrs away) it's around 900.00-1000.00 for the weekend.

Just the way it is.
Hovis

When were wind flags first introduced to the sport?

I bet if you gave all the shooters at the Super Shoot the same top shelf equipment and the same perfectly tuned ammo and The most sensitive,readable wind flags produced. The results would be the same.

Practice,Practice,Practice makes a huge difference.
Glenn

I agree that the results would be similar but perhaps for a different reason. The perpetual winners would have the home court advantage. Shooting a great rifle would be foreign to most. Takes a few days to believe it!!!

Mike Ratigan was mentioned on page one along w/ couple other gentleman.

If I recall Mike wrote a book(I believe he is the one) about BR shooting. Anyone recommend?? Title please!!

Thanks

Mike Ratigan was mentioned on page one along w/ couple other gentleman.

If I recall Mike wrote a book(I believe he is the one) about BR shooting. Anyone recommend?? Title please!!

Thanks

Extreme Rifle Accuracy

several vendors stock it. Sinclair, Midway, maybe Bruno's...

If you want to see some stats on what we are talking about please see the attached .xls or .pdf file. I compiled these from my various shoot reports. Two things stand out in these data. There was a large drop in the aggs about 1978 - the PPC emerges. The second important trend is the difference between the winner and the median shooter is getting smaller.

Jeff

Attachments

• Shrinking Aggregates with chart.pdf
    260 KB · Views: 220
  • Shrinking Aggregates with chart.xls
    56 KB · Views: 231
Back