What does it take? (group size)

I believe I recall reading a article where Richard Gorham,"master riflesmith", tested various lots of ammo at Eley facility in England with three different rifles and chose the lot that averaged .15 inch at 50 yards or meters. Correct me if I'm mistaken. I forgot to add that this was with a mechanical rest in a windless tunnel.
ifldned

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I recall reading a article where Richard Gorham,"master riflesmith", tested various lots of ammo at Eley facility in England with three different rifles and chose the lot that averaged .15 inch at 50 yards or meters. Correct me if I'm mistaken. I forgot to add that this was with a mechanical rest in a windless tunnel.
ifldned

Ifldned

If someone found ammo at a factory test that averaged .15 that would be extremely good. At the ammo test ranges you shoot 10 shot group its all computerised no paper targets and they are measured outside edge to outside edge so that means averaging under 10mm for a .15 average. But at Eley after you find a few lots that are working you fire a 40 shot group with each of those lots and the range record for a 40 shot group of 13.9mm (.326 CTC) is held by a factory Feinwerkbau.

Peter

Peter,
I've been trying to find that article for the last hour and a half and have had no luck. I appreciate your facts about the 40 shot groups. I realize this is much different than firing 8 groups at 5 shot intervals as POI changes . I hope Richard Gorham reads this and can straighten out our confusion, between the top shooters and riflesmiths at this forum we should be able to come up with some consensus as to what a excellent rifle and ammo can shoot at 50 yards from the bench. I'm just a can shooter and not a competitive match shooter and have used the .15 inch at 50 yards as my standard for shooting cans and squirrels at 200 yards. ifldned

I asked a similar question back in 69. One of the Old Timers came back with, "The stuff that gets you, one point more than the guy in second place".

ifldned Eley test

ifldned the guns I test with are a Turbo , Swindlehurst ,Time and soon to be a Copperhead they are some of the most accurate and consistent shooting guns from day to day I have shot . I have never been to England I test about a .5 mile from my house I have a friend that has a 100 yard indoor range that he lets me test whenever I need. I generally use at least 3 guns whenever testing ammo and about 10 different lots and shoot 5 shot groups at a ARA target each column will be a lot each row a different gun makes it easy to spot the good ones I wont buy any ammo unless it shoots in all guns tested .Generally a good average for all guns tested will be in the ones .180 or smaller the last time i tested I had some Team Eley that agged .121 that was best to date. I think you can win with any thing .190 or better the most important is that it shoots in multiple guns I believe good ammo will shoot in any good proven gun.

RGORHAM,
Thanks Richard for getting the facts straight. I think I've read so many articles that I'm getting reality twisted around. At least most of what I thought I read was accurate. Hope to own one of your rifles someday. I'm sure it will shoot at least .15 inch groups at 50 yards. Thanks again, ifldned

As many discipline target will vary, pick the one you are interested in and measure the X Ring. Double that and that'll tell you what size group will keep you close to the leaders. Then practice and learn what it takes to shoot this sport. Lots of dedication and practice will mean so much more that group size.

Peter Armstrong,
Thanks so much for informing me that the record for 40 shots ctc at Eley test facility is (.326 inch) held be Feiwerkbau factory. I've been pounding my head and wallet to death trying to get my two rifles to shoot in the zeroes and low point ones all the time, since they have done it before. Heck, I just shoot at squirrels and cans. From now on .326 inch for 50 yards will be my new standard I can't express how relieved I feel. Thank you, ifldned

Back