What did I do wrong?

Just got a new 223 reamer and decided to test it out on a barrel stub. The reamer appears to be cutting on every other flute.

Is there something wrong with my set up, or did I get a reamer that may some problems?

Attachments

• 20161102_224655.jpg
    20161102_224655.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 434
Just got a new 223 reamer and decided to test it out on a barrel stub. The reamer appears to be cutting on every other flute.

Is there something wrong with my set up, or did I get a reamer that may some problems?

You need some flush,,,,bad. Too much swarf and it forces the reamer away from the bore. One of the other flutes overcuts and you end up with a faceted hole.

Up a bit late, eih?

Very few reamers cut the same on all flutes. Since chamber reamers are fed very slowly (feed in IPR-inches per revolution) you will find this common on most reamers.

Many reamers cut only on 1 flute till that flute gets dull and wears away making room for the next one back.

Very few reamers cut the same on all flutes. Since chamber reamers are fed very slowly (feed in IPR-inches per revolution) you will find this common on most reamers.

Many reamers cut only on 1 flute till that flute gets dull and wears away making room for the next one back.

^^^^^^^ Who made the tool? I've noticed some makes are much worse at this condition than others.

Thank you all for the responses.

I have the major parts to build a flush system except for the rotary coupler. Looking for an inexpensive alternative to the GreTan offering.

Looking for an inexpensive alternative to the GreTan offering.

You used to be able to get decent pricing on deublin or duff-norton rotary unions on ebay. Might take a look and see. I've picked them up off of machinist forums used tooling as well.

I used the duff-Norton for mine, but I have seen airline quick connects used also. A 3/8" or bigger would work well.

I checked eBay for Dublin and Duff-Norton, descriptions are so clear on some, looks like the unions have the NPT threads at 90 degrees to the body. How do y'all attach it to the barrel?

Depends on the barrel. On threaded muzzles I usually use a threaded adapter. On most other barrels I use a short piece of rubber hose and a hose clamp.

Back