What Caliber?????????????

F

f21sh

Hello Gentlemen
I currently have a Ruger M77 30-06 I'm looking at rebarreling the rifle with a new caliber without changing the bolt, well maybe opening it a bit if needed.I was also considering having the action blueprinted and maybe even bolt sleeving if needed. I would like to be able to use the rifle for Varmint and Long Range Comp. either HP. or F-Class. Does anyone have any recommendations from actual experience as to a caliber for such uses built on this action.:D

Thanks for the info. f21sh

Too simple of a question. Only allowed to ask hard questions

25-06 . No need to open up any thing. Get a 26" barrel. Have you decided on a brand Barrel? Hart,Pac-Nor,Lilja . Button rifled,Cut rifled ,hammer forged .Lots of options

Depends on how much accuracy you want and how much you want to spend.
How does it shoot now? If you handload you could shoot it as is with a .30 cal VLD and learn alot. If you want to rebarrel it, you could go with a whole range of choices based on the same size bolt head as you have. 6.5-06 will give you better bullet choices than 25-06 for longer ranges. (I had a Ruger 77 varmit in 25-06 and loved it)
If you think you may want to go whole hog, most people will recomend selling the 77 and getting an action that more gunsmiths like to work on, has more aftermarket parts, etc.

caliber

Looking for 1MOA at 600yrds, currently shooting VLD out of the 7mm WSM Coyote just looking for something a little bit tamer my wife could shoot but just as accurate. The current barrel on the Ruger is not very accurate any more the throat is a bit long. A couple years back I picked up a syn B&C stock and rebedded the rifle it helped but it has had many rounds but through it(1800). I purchased this rifle in 1983 it has served me well over the years. It was the first rifle I ever purchased. I have always hand loaded rounds for the rifle.:D

Really don't want to sell the old boy.

1,800 rnds That's nothing for a 30-06

Your BBL should last 5,000 rnds. 30-06 isn't a barrel burner. What are your cleaning methods? What do you use to get the copper out?

Long throat Rugers

Hey I have to agree, 1800 rounds is nothing. I have a Ruger M77 Varmint in 243 caliber that has 7500 rounds through it and it still shoots good. Ruger has always been known to have a little longer throat due to the fact that they sell all over the world. A longer throat means that factory rounds not made in this country will work without undo pressure. We must remember that not evryone who makes a 3006 or any other caliber outside this country will conform to SAMMI. They may be a little longer or shorter, or may be seated out to diffrent specs. In the lawsuit world we live in to make the throat or chamber a little longer is a wise move to make sure all rounds manufactured in that caliber will work safely. Dont change the old boy yet, besides the old style Rugers in good shape are getting farely hard to find.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Back