what cal would you choose.. Just for fun???

Just for fun....

I have a 7mm WSM, and I love it. But for 600, it would be something with a little less punishing recoil.

I think the Dasher looks like a good compromise, though the 6.5 Lapua, .260 Remington, and the 6.5 Creedmoor are also very interesting and would let me use the same bullets I shoot in my Grendel.

I think it would have to be a 6.5 Creedmoor, just to be different!!

Bill

PS Monte knows this, but I'm a bare newbie at this, so take it for what it is worth!

Just for fun, I shot my first ever F-class open match weekend before last at Butner. I shot a 6 BR and while it won't hang with a 6.5 or 7mm in the wind, conditions were mild and I had a big time. I hope to get to shoot the Nats in a few weeks also at Butner and I'll probably shoot the BR again, just for fun. Good barrel life and no recoil makes it easy to recommend the straight 6 BR (and a good tool for teaching one about wind) as a platform just for fun. Advice from someone who has shot exactly one F-class open match! FWIW.

Greg

Hey Greg,

Don't run down your 6BR too much. Too many folks sneer at it when compared to the "cannon" calibers (7mm mags, etc.), but even in windy conditions, the 6BR can hold its own. To be fair, I have only one experience with the 6BR, but it was at Nationals years ago. My F-T/R rig had gone south due to load problems, so a generous soul offers his backup F-Open rifle setup. It was my first time running an F-Open setup (it was several relays before a fellow competitor told me that I should really be returning the rifle to the forward "stop" for each shot!). With that little 6BR though, in windy conditions (Sacramento), I managed to pull a 5th place spot in the country for the day at 1000 yards. The rest of the F-Open line was running 6.5-284's and 7mm mag's of various descriptions.

Especially with the lighter conditions at Butner (although I hear that they have some nasty vertical), you should have a competitive rig.

FWIW

Darrell

Since I'm having one built, I say 6BRX. Really no miracle caliber. Almost everyone at a match has a good custom gun,good handloaded ammo and practiced in the wind. The biggest variable is who told the best,cleanest joke that week and made GOD smile at them.

Suppposedly has less recoil than the WSM 7mm, too.

Milanuk is thinking about one, we'll see how it turns out!

Bill

fun gun

If I were building that gun, and I only had access to a 600 yard range. I would build something that had mild recoil, easy on barrels, cheap to shoot, and would stay above the sound barrier past the 600 yard line.

Since am very new to this sport, take my recomendation with a grain of salt.
Assuming you are not going to compet in F T/R maybe a .260 remington or a 6.5x47 Lapua would be the ticket to a fun time.

Just for shirts and grins

Good suggestion Boyd! I might even try my old Swede 96. I had a ball with it in factory class at Hawks Ridge.

Greg

Either 6mm PPC or 6BR. I want a light kicking little cartridge that can hold its own. Although if the range was longer I would go with 7mmSAUM. I just want one for 1000 yrd shoots, but we dont have that long of range around here.

for fun

I'm lovin my 284 Shehane. But I think my next 600 yd barrel may be a 7-08 or something based on it. Accurate, barrel life, great ballistics, low recoil, availability of brass, what's not to like? I see a lot of 7mms in the future.
There's gotta be something that will run with Greg's lil 6br. That thing is on fire, I saw what all you won with that thing. Good shooting, keep it up Greg.

Thanks Jim,

I guess we've answered the question "Does it hurt a 6mm barrel to fire form with 22 cal bullets?". Maybe the first 2200 rounds work hardened the bore. It sure likes Sierras.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back