what bullet for this throat

bdale

new to benchrest and was wondering what your opinion is on this subject .I have a gun built 6mmbr. with a 271 no turn neck it is a 1in8 twist with 120ths. freebore has a Bat action. In your opinion what would be the best type of bullet to use for this setup i will be shooting 105gr. to 108gr. bullets and was wondering if a vld type of bullet or a non vld type would work better in this setup and also if with my throat if jumped or jammed would work better i know every gun is different just looking for a good starting point, by the way this will be a 600yrd. gun Thanks Dale

Last edited:
In general VLD bullets seem to like to be seated at or into the rifling. If you can seat VLD's that way in your rifle they'd be worth a try. The problem with them seems to be that as the throat "wears" it has to be chased religiously. If you don't keep on top of it accuracy will fall off. Likely not with wild flyers, but with slightly errant bullets that just mess up the group.

You'll likely have to try various bullets to see what works, and once you've found the best load try various seating depths to get an idea of what will happen as the throat goes.

I have a 6br with .120" freebore. It was throated for the 105gr. vld and that's what I shoot in it in 600yd matches. Seated into the lands the bottom of the vld will be right at the neck/shoulder junction. This will give you some room to play with as the throat erodes. Good luck......

Back