What brand/model of loading press?

I have a very nice RCBS A4 set up for bullet making.

Hal Toland
303-709-3436

I have 1/2 dozen rock chuckers, some set up for bullet making, some not. For sizing BR cases, I use the old RCBS JR. its no longer
made, but you can buy them for a song. Very solid, just shorten the handle. Heck some old guy gave me the last one since he
was upgrading. Ditto with AL on the shims, thats a quick and cheap way to make life simple

The lee turret presses are crap, the die holder cants when the shell goes in the shell holder. I have one someone gave me, I had to use washers to hold the shell holder down and use it as a single stage.
Much depends on where you will be using the press. At home, at the range etc. Weight can be a factor in those cases.
John and size

Sounds like you are missing some parts......

Sounds like you are missing some parts......
No, they are probably there. He just isn't using the press the way it was designed to be used. It doesn't matter if the carrier holding the dies can tilt a bit, as long as the shell holder solidly contacts the die when you size a case. That's how all presses are designed to be used. If you want to use it differently, then you're into a whole new can of worms.

Think it through. At the other end, the case can move in the shell holder, and with most presses, the shell holder can be offset a bit in the ram. This movement/potential misalignment of the shell holder is fine if the dies centers things up.

This does mean that "neck sizing only" requires a special die, and all die/shell holder pairs must be tailored to your particular rifle chamber.

People use to hammer cases in to dies, if you remember. Surely the ram is more closely aligned than a hammer in a hand. But those dies were a different "system," and worked just fine, too.

So, can it be said that a Forrester Bonanza can be used with die shims and produces BR grade handloads?

Crawford/Hood would get my vote........ but.......... any decent one will get the job done. save money and buy ALOT of barrels. :)

I must qualify my 'yes' from a few posts back...... YES this press will produce straight loads but it isn't designed to be used with die shims. It will only accept a few thou of shims unless you use a small die lock ring. Shims are designed for use with open topped presses where the die screws down from the top.

I'm sorry to have been unclear

al

Back