What are they thinking when these are the hot sellers?

Yet today the 44Mag is considered a lightweight and there are a dozen frames heavier than the 29......

al

I once heard a psychiatrist proclaim that men carried large weapons to compensate for their inferior manhood.
Now I'm not fessing up to anything but at one time I shot a .44 Mag. and a .458 Win. Mag. because I couldn't afford anything bigger.
I like to think I have more sense these days, but it is probably a lack of tolerence for pain.

Its simply the hottest new cartridge out there and now folks can have a cheap gun chambered for it without spending big bucks.
Let em have it, I don't want/need one but God Bless America.
My first pistol was a M-29 44 Mag, 4" barrel if I remember correctly. Took awhile to learn what flinch was and longer yet to get rid of it

I once heard a psychiatrist proclaim that men carried large weapons to compensate for their inferior manhood.
Now I'm not fessing up to anything but at one time I shot a .44 Mag. and a .458 Win. Mag. because I couldn't afford anything bigger.
I like to think I have more sense these days, but it is probably a lack of tolerence for pain.

Hmmm. I carry a Springfield XD with a 3 inch barrel.

Its simply the hottest new cartridge out there and now folks can have a cheap gun chambered for it without spending big bucks.
Let em have it, I don't want/need one but God Bless America.
My first pistol was a M-29 44 Mag, 4" barrel if I remember correctly. Took awhile to learn what flinch was and longer yet to get rid of it

The context of my comment on the 44 S&W is in regards to the "hot new cartridge" syndrome, which goes to the male enhancement comment. I have had numerous Super Blackhawk's and Model 29's and still have one. However, for a holstered field carried handgun, the 45 LC with a good SWC has become my favorite.

Zeke mccune: I live near a town of just 4,200 people (9,200 people in the whole county) - there is a tiny sport/pawn shop in this town.
In the past 3 weeks they have sold 3 (three) of these savage Rifles in caliber 338 LaPua!
I personally have NEVER owned a savage bolt action Rifle and never will - not even if someone tried to give me one!
BUT... the folks hereabouts are pretty skookum (old Indian word for smart) about Rifle ballistics/trajectories - AND they Hunt Elk, Moose, spring Black Bears and other creatures that often are quite a ways off in the distance.
Like across the valley.
One of my main Hunting partners uses a custom 30" barreled 338/378 Weatherby for Elk and a time or two for Antelope.
With good bullets these big 338's shoot FAR and FLAT and carry way out there with LOTS of foot pounds of energy!
I personally have a 338 Federal for spring Bear and Elk in the dog hair timber.
I am not a fan of punishing recoil.
Indeed 'different strokes" comes into play here - but not a puzzlement to me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

they are thinking they are gonna make a bunch of money off of folks that will probably never shoot them more than 200yds! one thing i figured out in life a long time ago is that need has nothing to do with wanting to own something.

Heck, it would be like buying a Ferrari if you had a highway speed limit.

OK John........ so would you buy a Ferrari, if you could?

I sure would. Not my first choice but that's not the point.... "if I could."

I would

And I do have a monster 338, because I CAN :)

LOL

al

al,

Windscreen on a Ferrari is about centre of mass high on a roo. I'll stick with my van & stay above the road hoppers.

John

PS: They're also Great Dane comfort stop high.

I dunno, I like my 338. It is a great little round with some excellent projectile choices. I'm sure cost will come down in time and it isnt that bad to reload. Brass life seems pretty good. I am one of "those" people tho, my weekend toy truck only gets 4mpg after some upgrades :) (but I do confess, the wife bought both of them the 338 and the truck!)

I have built a couple of 338 LM's for testing an optical sighting system and they are fun to shoot at 1,000 or longer for a while. I shoot at 1,000 some but had never hit a spotting disk spindle before at that range until I built the first 338 LM. The gun was shooting very well and the wind was calm, with the big brake and 30 inch barrel I could see the the spindle get hit and flutter to ground though the scope, the next shot I did the same. I still can picture the spotting disk flutter in my mind, for me it was a pretty sight. The 338 LM guns were built with a special-purpose in mind and they met the requirements very well. The 338 LM has a place in the range of calibers to shoot, but unless you are doing something that requires that much energy downrange there are a lot of guns that are easier to shoot as I find the 338 LM's to be fatiguing to shoot, not the recoil the muzzle blast.

I find it interesting that people do not question the guy who goes out and buys a Weatherby 338-378, which has a larger case capacity, but some of the same people question the guy buying a 338 LM. Maybe the difference is the association that 338 LM's have with black guns and they were originally designed for hard target interdiction, not a great trait for the more squeamish amongst us, the Weatherby's for dangerous four-legged animals. If I had a task that required me to deliver 300 grain bullet supersonically well beyond 1,300 yards I would definitely reach for the 338 LM if for no other reason that I can buy Lapua brass for it and have no rim to trouble me when full length resizing, but a Weatherby 338-378 would probably do the job as well. I will shut up now.

wade

Back