What Am I Doing Wrong

S

safemann

I am the ultimate newbie to BR. Shot competion pistol most my life. Now I have my first rifle (HV 6mm PPC). I just can't seem to get the neck tension thing right.
I have turned the necks to to .002 smaller (with bullet loaded) than the .262 neck in my Shillen barrel. Fire form the cases. When I try to seat a bullet in the case it takes, what I think is excessive pressure. I have never had a problem with the bullets fitting too loosely.
What am I doing wrong?

I am the ultimate newbie to BR. Shot competion pistol most my life. Now I have my first rifle (HV 6mm PPC). I just can't seem to get the neck tension thing right.
I have turned the necks to to .002 smaller (with bullet loaded) than the .262 neck in my Shillen barrel. Fire form the cases. When I try to seat a bullet in the case it takes, what I think is excessive pressure. I have never had a problem with the bullets fitting too loosely.
What am I doing wrong?

You need to tell us;

-how you are sizing necks and by how much

-have you chamfered neck mouths

-bullet seating procedure and dies

-type of bullets used

Don

All that's been said above, along with use a VLD inside neck chamfering tool. Maybe I'm too anal about it, but I always use a Wilson inside chamfer followed by a Lyman VLD chamfering tool. I'm sure that other VLD chamfering tools work as well, but they ease the heel of the bullet into the case neck. That and sizing the neck the proper size is all that's needed.

Don and others
Thanks for the quick response. I am sizing neck ID with a Sinclair neck expanding die to .244 but the necks seem to be springing back. I turn the neck to .260. I chamfer both inside and outside. I seat to jam using a Hornaday OAL with a Hornaday comparator. Bullet is seated using Redding Competion seating die with micrometer adjustment. Using Berger 68 gr. flat base. Just about to load my first try with Bart's Ultra 66 gr.

Try using a Redding 6PPC SBR die. # 77211. With a .258 bushing. Neck thickness should be .0086-8". need to buy a tubing mic for measuring.
This is for a .262" neck chamber.

Maybe a problem with how you are measuring. Are you measuring the neck at .260 with a bullet seated in case. Are you measuring with micrometer or caliper.

Don and others
I am sizing neck ID with a Sinclair neck expanding die to .244 but the necks seem to be springing back.
I think what people are asking is how you're sizing the case -- the "od neck sizing" if you will.

If you're sizing the case in a die then expanding the neck back up with an expanding mandrel and the bullet is still too hard to seat, it does sound like the sizing die - either FL or neck -- is indeed to tight. Usually, the more work-hardened the neck is, the more it will spring back. With a mandrel, (1) your final sizing up, not down, and (2) since these are fresh cases, it's hard to believe they are work-hardened that much, so I'd think the sizing die is over small.

What die are you using to size the case? And if it is a bushing die, what size is the bushing?

Back