Weights For Weigh-In

Most of us are using electronic scales. If you need calibration weights 10lb ,1/2 lb, qnd 3 lb. check with your local scale company. IE toledo scales. The new electronic ones are accurate
to 1/100 of a pound

NBRSA check weights

The weights that Roy mentioned are cheaper than most. Try to avoid any discomfort as a result of the question "where did these weights come from"? If you can't answer the question confidently then you may as well not have weights at all....or referees for that matter. Of course, I'm referring to the much cheaper made at home weights that are right on the money but not blessed with being "official". It's often the "official" moniker that runs the cost up.

Sooo then, while we're talking check weights, what do you do if you place the 10.5 weight on the scale and the scale reads 10 pounds and 9 ounces? Is your answer different than it would be if the scale read 10 pounds 8.5 ounces?

These days, get another Chinese scale. For those that weigh their rifles at home, you might consider making up a test weight that you think is close and taking to a match, along with the materials needed to make a slight adjustment. That way you can have your own "check weight" (very unofficial) to test your scale with. When doing this (adjusting your weight at the match), it would be better if a set of NBRSA check weights were available.

Last edited:
wilbur,
if the check weight read 10 9 and it was known to be a 10 8 weight...then on that day 10 9 plus 1 would be legal...sorta......
think of it a a balance scale if 10 8 reads just off center..then any gun that is just off center..its legal.......
ya gotta trust either the scale or the weights...if you trust the weights then you adjust as you use the scale.
mike in co

i hope the condition listed above does not happen at a match where a potential record is set...
mike in co
We aren't talking registered match here are we?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Francis I would hope they are.
Roy who would we contact at what number in order to find out the cost of said weights.
I for one would like to have one.
I checked the rusty range weight on my scale for giggles and it was short by an ounce at least on my scale. Though on the range scale it was dead on. Sooo I want to get an official one so I can check.

certified weights

I just ordered a set of class F stainless steel weights of 10,3, and .5 pounds from ITIN scale company in Brooklyn, NY. these can be ordered with paper certifying the exact weight (say for the 10 lb. that it is actually 9.999), but here in KY i can have it done much cheaper by the state lab that is over weight and scale calibration. then you can use these to check and adjust your scales and they are officially certified.
Mike NIblett

Contact the NBRSA Business Manager at 307 655-7415 or by email at nbrsa.manager@gmail.com.

This is the place. A set that will cover all classes (Hunter, LV, & HV) will run about $170. But...if you run registered matches and someone is impolite enough to fire a potential record, the embarrassment as match director will be...embarrassing.

virg

They are $100 for the set of 3 PLUS shipping from the supplier..... Don Nielsen so shipping from Winnetka, CA. to your address.
That was the official response.
I think Ill get a set just to safeguard myself.

Last edited:
Does it not say in the rules that a set of official NBRSA weights must be present on the match site for a registered match to be official?

Just wondering.

Steve Kostanich

Steve here you go,

In matches in which a weight or dimension factor is
involved, the Host Club shall provide an accurate scale, which
shall be available to the competitors at that match. It is
recommended that each range purchase certified weights;
however, the weights may be borrowed for the match. It is the
responsibility of the Host Range to have such weights available
at and during each and every Registered Match. If weights are
not available, the match will be considered unregistered and no
possibility of records may exist. The Host Club must also
provide a steel rule and a pair of calipers or a micrometer
having a maximum capacity in excess of 1.25 inches. In
weighing rifles with scope attached, an excess of 1/2 ounce
shall be attributable to scale error.

Calvin

So as I understand it.
Each range hosting a registered match must have an NBRSA certified set of weights on hand or it really does not qualify as a CERTIFIED MATCH or REGISTERED MATCH.
Can anyone provide a description of these said weights?
The only "1" I have seen at our range is aged brown.
That does not mean that there was not a set there to calibrate the scales that I did not see. So before anyone gets their panties in a wad I am not accusing anyone of anything.
and before anyone goes off into the "club cant afford" issues. I saw our records and if other ranges have the same income for the club this should NOT be an issue.

I have been an advocate for weighing all rifles at registration time, ever since I saw a competitor get DQ'd for being over weight.
Each time I bring this up I always hear the same old thing,,,, its the shooters responsibility to make sure they are in limits.
I guess I never considered the ability of the shooter to request to weigh their rifle before the shooting begins. You can be assure I will avail myself of this in the future at all registered shoots. Because if it is not possible then it is not fair...... to be continued....

Last edited:
Vern as mentioned earlier a set of weights (Official NBRSA) come from Don Nielson. The set costs $100.00 + shipping to your address. The set from what I was told is a 10.5 lb weight and a 3 lb weight. What they look like or if they are marked I have no idea........... I would ASSUME they are marked in some m,anner identifying them as Official NBRSA weights.

Vern I to like the idea of first thing in the morning that everyone weighs there rifles and after that it is up to you if you screw it up.

No official weights with the scale means it is not an official match and any possible record shot is NOT considered.

I think the other thing is does the NBRSA offer scales that are available for purchase? A digital is of no use if it cannot be zeroed.

JMThoughts

Calvin

So as I understand it.
Each range hosting a registered match must have an NBRSA certified set of weights on hand or it really does not qualify as a CERTIFIED MATCH or REGISTERED MATCH.

Vern if you read this bit from Calvins post "It is recommended that each range purchase certified weights;" that to me means ANY certified weight is allowed to be used and not just a NBRSA certified weight. But as others have pointed out the set of weights from the NBRSA are cheaper. I'm not sure on the cost of a set of certified weights from other sources so can't comment on that.............Ian

If I could just make a comment on weights. I NEVER have my rifle right up on the weight limit. My LV's are built to be around 2 ounces light, and the HV (on a Kelblys SPG2) struggles to make 13 pounds with everything on it and in it. We do have check weights available at most registered matches down here, but having a slightly light rifle prevents any arguments. And if 2 ounces is going to make a difference to how it shoots, I will be very surprised.

Back