Weight needed. But!!!

skeetlee

I just got my 6dasher back from the smiths and all is well. The rifle is showing some real promise thus far. The barrel i went with is a HV and it is making the rifle nose heavy. I did notice some jump in the rest yesterday but i dismissed it as the way i was holding the rifle. While cleaning it last night i really began to realize just how nose heavy it is. I have read where guys like the rifles to be balanced, and that they ride bags better and shoot better?? Anyway my shehane mcmillan MBR has a glued on recoil pad. My question is how can i add some weight to the stock with a glued on pad? Any ideas, and will it make much difference? Thanks Lee

I just got my 6dasher back from the smiths and all is well. The rifle is showing some real promise thus far. The barrel i went with is a HV and it is making the rifle nose heavy. I did notice some jump in the rest yesterday but i dismissed it as the way i was holding the rifle. While cleaning it last night i really began to realize just how nose heavy it is. I have read where guys like the rifles to be balanced, and that they ride bags better and shoot better?? Anyway my shehane mcmillan MBR has a glued on recoil pad. My question is how can i add some weight to the stock with a glued on pad? Any ideas, and will it make much difference? Thanks Lee

IMO the pad must come off. Gluing it on was a mistake.

You NEED weight in the rear on these dawgs, they wag their tails fierce.

al

thats what i figured. How in the heck am i going to get the pad off without tearing it up? I tell you what this stock has been a headache from the very start!! I wonder if i could drill a hole through the pad into the stock? Patching it correctly might be the problem!! I really dont know what else to do. Any ideas?? Thanks Lee

IMO you will set the gun up in a chopsaw and after carefully indexing it to square WHANG IT OFF :D

Your only decision is whether to kerf the stock and refit the pad....... or destroy the pad to save the length of the stock.

Are you SURE it's glued on? And with what?

al

All the newer McMillan stocks that I've seen have the pad glued on. You could ask them how best to remove. I put the stock in the freezer for a day then use a fitted block of oak with a hammer behind to pop the pad off. If that doesn't work it to the scroll saw with a fine blade and cut the pad against the stock.

Back