weaver vs sightron 36

C

chuck3721

Ok i want to scope a 17hmr i got its not for comp but i wanted to scope it with either a weaver t-36 or sightron sii big sky but i was wounder if the price differents is worth it weaver is about 430 and the sightron is around 600 so is it worth the extra money tracking the glass on them warranty on them which will i end up being more happy with?? thanks for the help

A lot of folks shoot the T-36. So, from that angle, I think you'd be happy.

OTOH, have you ever shot with a 36x scope? It might be a lot more than you want.

Greg J.

I agree with Greg - a 36x just might be a bit too much.

I have a 17 Rem FB with a Sightron 6 x 24 x 42 that is just excellent. I'd give you some prairie dogs as reference, but they ain't talkin'.

paul

i'm not a hunter at all i like to out to the gun range and go shooting i think it is peaceful and takes my mind off of everthing so 36 power is fine i will be sitting on a bench with it and i have a 3-9 which not cutting it and i think a 36 would be nice to shoot at a 100 yards and i want to start shooting it past 100 yards good and to learn to read the wind and all that so i guess i'm going with the weaver

Scope power

If you're just going to run groups at 100-200yds, a T-36 would be just fine. If you have any other type of shooting in mind such as cans, bottles, informal plinking or hunting, your interests would probably be better served with something like a V-24 or V-16 weaver. With the v-24, you could still run groups at 100-200yds. If you have other rifles-centerfire or rimfire-and have the funds, you might just want to get them both-T-36 and V-24/V-16.
Stan-Share your sport:)

I have a T-36. Love it. If you're shooting off a bench at 100 yards, the T-36 will serve you well. They are great scopes. Just not very versatile.

Both my plinking rifles have 4-12x on them.

Greg J.

I have two Weaver 36's and they are great; never had a problem requiring service (can't say that for my Leupolds or one Nightforce). Had a Sightron 36 many years ago, and the optical quality was very poor. I believe the new models have improved, but I will not buy another.

For what it's worth, I have been shooting a Weaver T-24 on my 17HMR and have found it to be all I would want at 100 yards. I shoot 3 rifles equipped with T-36s at 200 yards. The last time I looked, both the T-36 and T-24 could be purchased for less than $400.00 if you take the time to look around.

This all being said, I also shoot a .17 mach2 using a Mueller 8.5-25x50mm scope which works even better than the T-24 and costs far less.

Any and all of these scopes can be fitted with a Gene Davis scope booster if more power is wanted later on. I have and use both the slip on (for the Mueller) and the screw on (for the Weavers) types of this device.

I just bought a T-36 nickle for $380 new from a company in Texas. Best price I found. Killough Shooting Sports.

For what ever it's worth.

I have used both the 36X Sightron and the Weaver T-36. My experience favors the Sightron. Good shooting....James Mock

As others have mentioned, I hope you have shot a fixed 36x scope before. That's a lot of scope to deal with for targets less than 200 yards. I have two 8-32X variables and 20X is about the max I care to turn them up to at 200 yds. You can easily see the bullets holes at 20X on 200yd targets. The field of view is so limited, it's easier to turn them back to 8X to get them on target @ 100 - 200yds than it is to find the target, even at 20X. Not even taking into concern the amount of movement that scope is going to pickup.

Have 4 Weavers. 2 Sightrons. Weaver for me and have heard Killough's price's are good

For the 17HMR I would think something in the range of a 6-24 or 6-20 would be all you need. A straight 36X is a lot of power for a rim fire anything. Unless you are just shooting in competition. Then you are gonna have one of them spensive rim fires with the big weight on the end of the barrel. Weaver by far over the Sightron unless you are talking about the newest Sightrons.

Donald

Ndshooter,

Have 4 Weavers. 2 Sightrons. Weaver for me and have heard Killough's price's are good

I purchased my first T36 from Danny, and in addition to having good prices he is a super person to deal with...I have four T-36's and have had no problems with any and like them very much. If you plan to do any shooting other than target you may want to look at a variable power with a coarser cross hairs. All my T-36's are fine and they are difficult to see if you are not looking at a white target..

100 Yards?

I am not sure what all the fuss is about, if you are only shooting 100 yards. I shoot my Martini 22LR at 100 yards with my Unertl 10X, my Savage 93R17 with a Millett 4-12X40 and my Ruger No. 1 220 Swift with a Tasco 6-24X42. I can see my 100 yard groups develop just fine with the Tacso. I even set it up next to me on the bench when I shoot the other rifles because it is clearer than my wife's Bausch & Lomb spotting scope. If I am not shooting competition quality groups, it isn't the fault of the scopes.

I am satisfied enough with the Tasco for 100 yard shooting that I bought a Tasco 10-40X50 for my LH Precision 22M-17HMR switch barrel, that should arrive by the end of February.

Now, when I get ready to head out to Eastern Washington next summer for some Varmint shooting at 200 yards and beyond, I will need a better scope, perhaps a Leupold or a Nightforce for the Swift.

Oh, and by the way Kimberly and I just changed gun ranges and she has been scaring the beejesus out of the good old boys at the new range as they watch her shoot 50 and 100 yard groups with her Anschutz 1411 and it's ancient Fecker 12X scope. Maybe it's the consistant one hole groups coupled with the way she catches the spent brass with two fingers, each time she pulls the bolt back. That plus her left hand stock/right hand action and the total lack of unneeded movement that setup gives can be a bit intimidating.

She, of course, is not satisfied because her group averages are not consistantly in the ones. Heck, I would be satisfied if I could consistantly get 1/4" at 50 yards and 1/2" at 100 yards. But then, I am easy to please and just shooting for fun.

So, I think many shooters spend too much time and money looking for the perfect scope, etc. when that time and money could be better spent on ammunition and trigger time. :D

Back