Weaver scope repairs

404tbang

Howdy,
I have been contemplating getting a Weaver T-36, but have read bits of info here and there about some of them having problems with the glass, and then having trouble getting repairs done. Do they still have problems, and if so, does Weaver still make repairs?

What's the truth about Weaver scopes nowadays?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

There isn't much service to offer. Bushnell is handling the "repairs". You send your scope to them. I assume if they can repair it they will, but in my case they couldn't. So they sent me a replacement Bushnell scope. Bushnell does not make a scope anything close to a benchrest scope.

Vista Outdoors owns Weaver, Bushnell and a whole bunch of there brands. It appears they are concerned about the bottom dollar rather than honoring a warranty of a brand they absorbed.

There isn't much service to offer. Bushnell is handling the "repairs". You send your scope to them. I assume if they can repair it they will, but in my case they couldn't. So they sent me a replacement Bushnell scope. Bushnell does not make a scope anything close to a benchrest scope.

Vista Outdoors owns Weaver, Bushnell and a whole bunch of there brands. It appears they are concerned about the bottom dollar rather than honoring a warranty of a brand they absorbed.

Appreciate the info. Know anything about the Sighton 36x scopes? Any other options for staying on a budget that's lower than I want it to be?

I just got a Natchez

catalog. They are selling Weaver scopes, hurry, supplies limited. I guess we know why supplies are limited. No mention of any warranty in the ads.

I use Sightron on my competition rifles and most of my hunting rifles. I have a 36X Big Sky (discontinued) that is a really nice scope. I also have a SII 36X that is nice - but the eye relief isn't as much as the Big Sky. Alan Orr at Sightron is awesome to work with when it comes to repairs or warranty.
If you have other scope repairs to be done - Cheryl Ackerman at Optical Services Company can usually get things fixed.

Stanley

scopes

Ive got a sightron 36 on a cooper 22 and a weaver 36 on a 6ppc bench rifle. I think the sightron is clearer. Doug

Wayne Shaw hit the nail on the head! 6 weeks ago I sent a Weaver XR-46 in for a repair, they sent me a new Bushnell Forge(not a benchrest scope)4.5X27. When I called them I was informed that they were shutting Weaver down, and the repair facility was already shutdown. I sent a nasty email to the President of Vista Outdoors and told them they were lying when they said my scope was not repairable. About 3 days later one of their executives called me and said he had my scope on his desk, and would I like to have it back so I could attempt to have an outside repair facility fix it, I said yes send it back, then I said what did he want me to do with the scope they sent me, I was surprised when he said keep it, it’s on us!
I called Cheryl at optical services company, and she is not a fan of Weaver XR-46 scopes but she agreed to try and fix it for me. I have several 36 weavers and have had no issues with them and they are very clear.
All they do if you send in a Weaver is send you back a Bushnell that has the same price point as the weaver, they don’t even ask you what reticle you would like or what model! A word of caution Vista Outdoors has a lot of brands under their umbrella currently, and The CEO has no practical experience
running products for sportsmen! He was a former executive at either Home Depot or Lowe’s!
If you buy a weaver and at some point it needs repair, you will more than likely not be able to have it repaired. I still like Weaver scopes and would certainly buy one,

Last edited:
Have you had a problem with those listed or are you just listing based on a single poor experience?

Wilbur, I believe the list he has posted is a list of other companies Vista Outdoors has absorbed. Will the listed companies treat their warranty issues the same as the Weaver line is yet to be seen. I only have experience with Weaver.

Wilbur Wayne is correct I was just showing all the companies that Vista Outdoors has currently absorbed.
Reference only, the only thing I could add is if you have an issue with them go straight to the top, and it seems that they will take care of the complaint. The techs on the phone when you call them are not very helpful.

I think you actually wrote "not to buy products" and if that's not what you meant to write simply edit the post.

At one time, Weaver scopes were truly excellent. Today......... nuff said.:(

Faster...
Cheaper...
"Better" is rarely included.

The move to higher quality multicoating on all lens-air surfaces did wonders though.

I have some older scopes and the overall flair in them is far worse than many of my newer scopes.

Weaver new model scopes for BR

A quick caution on the new Weaver XR model scopes. If you happen to shoot indoor BR over the winter months, the XRs do not focus down enough for the typical 50'/60' indoor ranges. A shooting friend bought one. Worked great at 50yds, but not good at 60' on local indoor range. Be sure to check that before purchase if this is your possible intended use.

Back