We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

A couple of Youtube creators who go to the junk yards and by LS engines trying to pick the aluminum blocks and heads, adding turbos to them and make them run. The LS engines seem to be very robust. They get 600 HP or more out of them, they claim anyway, with a street cam. I also watch Nicks Garage who pretty much only works on vintage MOPAR engines. Interesting stuff.

Pete

Roadkill!!

A couple of Youtube creators who go to the junk yards and by LS engines trying to pick the aluminum blocks and heads, adding turbos to them and make them run. The LS engines seem to be very robust. They get 600 HP or more out of them, they claim anyway, with a street cam. I also watch Nicks Garage who pretty much only works on vintage MOPAR engines. Interesting stuff.

Pete

Pete, there is a rather substantial industry built around doing just this.

There are thousands and thousands of 5.3 LS engines in junk yards everywhere in wrecked trucks, SUV’s, and what ever. You can pull out the entire engine, wiring harness, everything to make it run.

Stick it in any car you want. Mid ‘70’s and 80’s 2 door sedans are popular. The cheaper the better. Add a big Chinese Turbo, retune the fuel curve in the fuel injection, add some water/meth injection, set the boost at about 18 pounds, and hang on.

The amount of power is only limited by the quality of the fuel, and how much you want to boost it. Sure, sooner or later, you will blow it up, but the object is to just go to the junkyard and get anther engine for about $700.

Finished the cam break in with no drama...no small task on these flat tappet race engines. It's all 'instrumented up' and ready to test some ideas on giving up less power in the oil pan. Nothin' to see here...it's just a Stocker. ;)

mZwNBhLl.jpg

But first things first....getting my pals new bullet into his Cobalt has proved to be a major time sucker of a dozen little things. The plenum on the new intake is 1/2" higher than the old one so now the carb linkage hits the hood scoop. To move it, it needed new mounting blocks machined to lower it. Now because it's lower, the throttle angle changes when it pulls on the carbs...so the side linkage needed tweaking...and then the air pan on the carbs doesn't fit the carbs squarely...after that's addressed, the air pan seal to the hood needs to be redone. Then the radiator hoses needed to be replumbed to work with the new heads.

He's headed to Pomona, Ca. for testing before the Winternationals and then on to Phoenix so we'll get to my engine after we've got his car squared away.

XXwFEHol.jpg

Like Gilda Radner's 'Roseanne Roseannadanna' character would say..."It's always something!" :D

Last edited:
At least you've found the tool for the job..... "when she don't fit, BFH!!"

That was for fitting the new aluminum catch pan under the engine. The old one was a carbon fiber unit that ended up thrashed and splintered beyond repair.The interim fix was an engine diaper which fit like a saddle on a sow. :( -Al

Exactly

Pete, there is a rather substantial industry built around doing just this.

There are thousands and thousands of 5.3 LS engines in junk yards everywhere in wrecked trucks, SUV’s, and what ever. You can pull out the entire engine, wiring harness, everything to make it run.

Stick it in any car you want. Mid ‘70’s and 80’s 2 door sedans are popular. The cheaper the better. Add a big Chinese Turbo, retune the fuel curve in the fuel injection, add some water/meth injection, set the boost at about 18 pounds, and hang on.

The amount of power is only limited by the quality of the fuel, and how much you want to boost it. Sure, sooner or later, you will blow it up, but the object is to just go to the junkyard and get anther engine for about $700.

If I hadn't begun watching YouTubes a couple of years ago, I would have died never knowing some of these things exist. Living pretty far back from the "Main Stream" of America, likely I never would have found this out.

Pete

Al

Are you going to crew for him at the Winternationals before working on your car?

Mort

I have some great memories of trips to Pomona.....Don't be a squeak when it comes to finding a motel or you might meet some really interestimg people.

Mort, I won't be at Pomona....not sure about Phoenix.

Made some forward progress on the dyno. As usual, I came away with more questions to be answered or examined later. Now that we've plateaued the power level, the next test will be three different NHRA accepted fuels and we'll call it good. At some point, you've got to get these things off the dyno and take 'em down the track or risk getting caught up in dyno-data overload and sent down the wrong path. This is particularly truth with carbs and headers.

Like John Wayne said, we'll "Put an Amen to it!" -Al

Finished the cam break in with no drama...no small task on these flat tappet race engines. It's all 'instrumented up' and ready to test some ideas on giving up less power in the oil pan. Nothin' to see here...it's just a Stocker. ;)

mZwNBhLl.jpg

But first things first....getting my pals new bullet into his Cobalt has proved to be a major time sucker of a dozen little things. The plenum on the new intake is 1/2" higher than the old one so now the carb linkage hits the hood scoop. To move it, it needed new mounting blocks machined to lower it. Now because it's lower, the throttle angle changes when it pulls on the carbs...so the side linkage needed tweaking...and then the air pan on the carbs doesn't fit the carbs squarely...after that's addressed, the air pan seal to the hood needs to be redone. Then the radiator hoses needed to be replumbed to work with the new heads.

He's headed to Pomona, Ca. for testing before the Winternationals and then on to Phoenix so we'll get to my engine after we've got his car squared away.

XXwFEHol.jpg

Like Gilda Radner's 'Roseanne Roseannadanna' character would say..."It's always something!" :D

Al, I "don't know sh^*%#@*&%" about engines, carbs, etc., but I must applaud your choice of tools - nice, and correctly colored hammer - that'll make anything "work"! ;) RG

Al, I "don't know sh^*%#@*&%" about engines, carbs, etc., but I must applaud your choice of tools - nice, and correctly colored hammer - that'll make anything "work"! ;) RG

LOL I know about hammers!!!......................................and fingers ;-(

I've raced most of my life from motocross, dirt track to drag racing. Love it all, if I win the lottery you'll find me at the Range on Saturday and the track on Sunday (after church). ;-)

Randy, when my pal produced the hammer, I told him about the infamous 'Red Hammer Incident'! :eek: He got a good laugh from it! :cool:

Here's a pic of the carnage. The checkered history of this gun and it's return from the brink of destruction is worthy of a thread all it's own, if there's any interest.

aQBaXFRh.jpg

Last edited:
Randy, when my pal produced the hammer, I told him about the infamous 'Red Hammer Incident'! :eek: He got a good laugh from it! :cool:

Here's a pic of the carnage. The checkered history of this gun and it's return from the brink of destruction is worthy of a thread all it's own, if there's any interest.

aQBaXFRh.jpg

HOlee SCHNEIke, hannle AND bs!

Need a different sizing die much?

aQBaXFRh.jpg

And the story is?

Testing at Fremont Dragstrip

2019-10-08_151854.jpg

This photo shows the Fuentes Brothers checking out their B/altered at Fremont. They had run an Altered class before moving to D and E Gas where there was more local competition.
What prompted this move back to an Altered class, I don't remember but here we are.

The Altered class cars ran over 150 mph so the NHRA required a parachute for safety reasons.

The pretty redhead is my better half.

The photo is from late '68 or early '69...where in the hell did the time go?

Mort

P.S. Check out the front shocks

View attachment 23283

This photo shows the Fuentes Brothers checking out their B/altered at Fremont. They had run an Altered class before moving to D and E Gas where there was more local competition.
What prompted this move back to an Altered class, I don't remember but here we are.

The Altered class cars ran over 150 mph so the NHRA required a parachute for safety reasons.

The pretty redhead is my better half.

The photo is from late '68 or early '69...where in the hell did the time go?

Mort

P.S. Check out the front shocks

Wow, look at that old school “Rat Motor”.

I’m sure those are Crower 3 inch tube injectors. I had a set of the 3 inch Stagger Tube Crowers that I ran on my circle boats when I ran methanol in K-Class.

That picture brings back memories.

Back