We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Jackie, your Chevelle sounds like a killer street car! And you're right...the stuff available today is just amazin'.

A pal just finished a '63 Biscayne 2 dr sedan with a 409 and the Edelbrock heads. They make so much sense....the last set of 409/425 heads I sold were NIB finished castings in the orig. Chevrolet boxes and wrapped with the oiled paper packing..I got $1,800 for the pair. Now, a new set of alum. Edelbrock 'W' heads are $2500 complete and ready to bolt on! :cool: Here's an interesting fact on the 'W' 348-409 motors..the intake port spacing is almost identical to a Mopar 383-440. I've seen some slick 409 intakes made from a sheet alum. lifter valley cover and the plenum and runners from a B/RB motor welded to it. The last 409/425 motor I did went into a '63 Bel Aire 2 dr sedan (32,000 miles). The car won an Editors Choice award at the Super Chevy event at Indy.

Here's something that will make your heart ache..it's the original window sticker from a '63 Dodge 2 dr sedan 426 Max Wedge alum. front end car:
ssdodgesticker_zps117ff2b1.jpg

I still keep in touch with many of my old Super Stock pals in town and hit a race every once in a while. Most all of 'em have switched to the GT cars as they make better (safer) race cars with the relaxed rules on suspensions, etc. One of my pals won Best Engineered with his GT car. His son did all the chassis and tin work:

bob1.jpg

Another buddy runs this Grand Am in GT/LA and was the #1 qualifier at last weeks Winternationals in Super Stock:

roddy.jpg

I'm like a junkie with the drag race stuff...it's better if I just stay away. ;) -Al

354 firedome ???

No Mike, Desoto never built a 354" Hemi. This one is a one year only 1956 330" Hemi. Parts are a real bear for the Desoto's as Chrysler Corp was back in the day actual different manufacturere's. Dodge Hemi's bore no relation what so ever to either Desoto or Chrysler, as did Desoto nothing was interchangable between the three brands. It makes finging parts today a real chore.

Roland

Attachments

• zzaszzx1 (Small).jpg
    zzaszzx1 (Small).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 688
No Mike, Desoto never built a 354" Hemi. This one is a one year only 1956 330" Hemi. Parts are a real bear for the Desoto's as Chrysler Corp was back in the day actual different manufacturere's. Dodge Hemi's bore no relation what so ever to either Desoto or Chrysler, as did Desoto nothing was interchangable between the three brands. It makes finging parts today a real chore.

Roland

Yeh, but they all had those big fat valve covers, and that's what is really important:D

Unfortunitly I was not handy with a camera in those days and these are about the only pictures I have, taken about 1968 or so.

Attachments

• 2 (7).jpg
    2 (7).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 686
  • 2 (8).jpg
    2 (8).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 658
It did not kill me, but just about did everything but. That ended my desire to race, but I still like to go fast.

Jackie - I hear THAT loud and clear. Fortunately I never had a bad one on a road bike. Had a real close call on an off road bike a few years ago. I took up hare scramble racing on dirt bikes. Here's a video link for those that don't know what it is. http://www.gnccracing.com/videos/88_2012-bike-round-9---john-penton About two minutes in starts showing the good parts of the courses. These courses are 10-12 miles long with no practice riding allowed. You rely greatly on your memory from lap to lap. I was crossing a dusty field with low visibility and I had a memory lapse. Thought the trail continued straight up the side of a mountain but it didn't. It was a 90 degree turn with a 2 foot berm and I hit it 5th gear pinned. Me and the bike violently cartwheeled through a crowd of spectators. I figured it was game over for me but somehow kept my neck in one piece. I was able to walk away but had some broken ribs, punctured lung, separated shoulder and some rotator cuff damage. Lucky for me it's my left shoulder and won't affect my shooting.

Sounds like you ran a full on drag bike. I always stuck to streetable bikes and my oh my have times changed. With turbos and nitrous there's plenty of 400+hp street bikes out there. Here's a pic of my last one. It dynoed 176hp and ran low 9's the way it sits.

Attachments

• P1010073.jpg
    P1010073.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 626
AL - VERY impressive! That is certainly getting it done. I could never stay focused enough to achieve any real level of success with a door slammer. In the mid 90's I attempted to build a pro-5.0 car. I lost my pictures of it when it was finished but here are some as I was building it. The bikes distracted me and I only got it to the track once for a test and tune. A few runs revealed some serious handling issues and I sold it instead of following through with the fixes. I also figured I couldn't afford to fix it when it blew up which was only just a matter of time. It was a stroked small block twisting 8200 at the shift point while inhaling nitrous. I did actually have a licence plate on it too.

Attachments

• Muzzy3.jpg
    Muzzy3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 749
  • Muzzy4.jpg
    Muzzy4.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 707
  • Stang9-8.jpg
    Stang9-8.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 707
I finally got a classic,,,, well sort of

I finally broke down and bought a decent one.
An RT Classic Challenger. It only has 390 hp. Nothing like most of the ones shown above but I sure am enjoying it.

Attachments

• 2012 CHALLENGER _LC_Classic_StingerYellow_Black_stripe_pdf copy.jpg
    2012 CHALLENGER _LC_Classic_StingerYellow_Black_stripe_pdf copy.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 583
  • RT Classic.jpg
    RT Classic.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 623
Thanks.....

for starting this thread. This has been some absolutely wonderful reading. Quite a collection of gear-heads in this group.

Those are some great vintage pics, Al.

And that 409 Bel Aire Post Car is super cool. There couldn't have been many of those made.

If you love "W" motors, you will love this,..http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...239668D4AE00BF2A623F23&view=detail&FORM=VIRE3

Stack on a set of Edlebrock Heads and it's 1963 again, with a new twist.

Check out this build.
http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?threads/aluminum-409-build.22051/

Another source for W blocks/heads. This build is being done with an aluminum block and heads from Bob Walla. It will be 520 ci and around 800hp they say. It will probably be in Thompson, Ohio the first weekend in June, along with probably 25 or so other W powered cars racing, and 30 or show just showing.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
speaking of oldies but goodies

i went out and function tested two new rifles this afternoon...
a russian svt 40...semi auto 7.62x54r with sniper 3.5x post scope with 10 rd mag
and a
luxenburg fn 49 semi auto 30'06 with a 10x scope and 10 rd mag.....

the russian is from 1942 and the fn49 is from the 50's

first rounds fired in nearly 3 months.....needed the therapy

mike in co

Funny.. I hadn't visited BR Central for several months after not shooting for awhile and the first discussion I see is on cars. There are some great cars listed above. I've gotten away from competitive shooting for a little bit to stay closer to home while my boys are teenagers. But, like everyone else I had to occupy some of my time with something. Well my Dad has always been associated with modified racing since i was a kid in some way, shape, or form.
My dad and has worked on, built, maintained, and basically crew chief'ed a modified until everyone hung it up in 1983. Well, about 2003 or 2004 we discovered a vintage racing club local to NC/VA area and one of the members come to find out owned a modified and was located bbout 8 miles from me. Got to know Rodney (car owner and driver) and worked on his crew working with chassis setups and general crew work in my spare time. Well last year Rodney had to have major shoulder surgery on both shoulders so he put me in the seat. wow... what a ride. After working on and setting up these cars for many years... to finally jump into the seat was awesome. But to go from never driven under green flag conditions to jumping into a 600+ hp, 2600# full blown modified was a large step. But last season I was able to go the whole season all the way until the last race of the season without putting a scratch on the old girl. But it became really loose and ended up backing into the second turn wall. It was mostly cosmetic damage, but still I was hoping to go a whole season without a problem. But if you race long enough at 100+- mph you will bent it up eventually. But the chassis is all modern day tubular offset chassis with the old tin on top to make them look like the cars I remember seeing race as a kid.

Car Info for the gearheads:

Weight: 2635# race ready

Body: 1939 Ford Coupe (original steel body that was a former race car of the car owner's hero growing up)

Tires: 15" wide Hoosier racing tires (used tires from NASCAR modified tour cars)

Motor:
- 406ci SB Chevrolet (600+hp and 560 ft/# torque off the dyno)
- Wetsump oil system (because of rules)
- Lightweight 43# crank
- 11 to 1 compression
- Brodix 76cc aluminum angle plug heads
- 850cfm, double pump, mechanical secondaries carburetor.

Chassis:
- homemade modern day NASCAR modified chassis, 2x3 rails with all 1 3/4 dia x .095 wall chrome-moly tubing.
- coilover shocks/springs on all 4 corners
- independent front suspension
- 3 link with torque arm rear-end setup

Misc:
- 5 1/2" dia triple clutch
- 3 speed tranny
- QuickChange rearend

it is basically a over sized go-kart that will set you back in the seat under acceleration in a heartbeat and get away from you even quicker if you aren't careful. You can tighten the 5pt harness system to where you can't hardly breath, take it out for 10 laps of practice and have to re-tighten the belts from the centrifugal force of cornering with those big tires. What a ride. The wife isn't happy, but got to live a dream at 45yrs old. Our new season starts in April and will get to race 2 new tracks this year. All of my BR and 600/1000yd guns are still in prime condition and I'll get them back out someday soon.

http://www.sgpvintageracing.com/rdye9_m47.jpg
http://www.sgpvintageracing.com/rdye9_m81.jpg
http://www.sgpvintageracing.com/rdye9_m82.jpg

Great rides fellas! that 1967 'vette... wow. That was the year I was born and would love to have a '67. Now if Tooley would only let me drive his C6 vette...... still waiting on that!! hehehe

Be safe, have fun. and keep the hammer down!
Steve

Steve, Great little car glad you got some seat time in it. That had to be a an experiance. In looking at the lines of this little Ford, it got me to thinking what a cool little street car something like that would make. Sectioned and channled but not chopped, run full fenders if I can figure how to section them as well. I think I have just about talked myself into this. I have a 39 Coupe body that would be a start, Hummmmm.

Would you mind if I contacted you thru a PM and maybe get some measurements?

Roland

Steve, Great little car glad you got some seat time in it. That had to be a an experiance. In looking at the lines of this little Ford, it got me to thinking what a cool little street car something like that would make. Sectioned and channled but not chopped, run full fenders if I can figure how to section them as well. I think I have just about talked myself into this. I have a 39 Coupe body that would be a start, Hummmmm.

Would you mind if I contacted you thru a PM and maybe get some measurements?

Roland

Roland,
Maybe the car in this link will give you a few ideas for a street legal hotrod! This is a '35 Chevrolet body but a '39 Ford has nice lines. My Dad has a '35 Ford coupe body that he is building into a race car.. AGAIN.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/113_0703_1935_chevy/

Feel free to contact me via email and we can talk. I will help anyway I can. sshelp44 AT gmail dot com

Steve

All I've got

All my life i wanted a hot rod car. When I was younger I couldn't have one because my dad was working my ass off and I had to have a pick-up. Cars dont do well in the irrigation business. But when I got older I bought a car. It's nothing like you guys have but it's a hoot to drive and I've had a ball with it but I wish some one would buy it. I bought it to put up in the barn but I just can't stand to see it sit there. 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8.

Dennis, as you can see, there are as many varied ideas as to what constitutes a 'hot rod'. Some go for style, some for brutal performance, and some a combination of both.
The key thing is build what you want, and have a good time doing it. "Hot Rodding" has always been about pushing the envelope, and having fun. .......jackie

It never fails that when car guys start talking about their toys, that invariably the conversation turns to the one that got away. I'm one of the few that can say that it didn't happen.....

I still have my "73" Z-28 that I ordered when I was a senior in high school, still all original with 26k on the odometer:

009wk.jpg

It could be bought, but not at original sticker.......

Back