WD 40 -- Any Uses?

I just had to look it up Mickey....

I know this is picking at nits but there is no such word as 'preventative'. It is preventive.
Class dismissed. ;)

preventive or preventative -The words are often used interchangeably to denote whatever prevents something else happening or occurring, especially when it is undesirable. However, preventative is often applied to an actual object, especially in noun form, while preventive is mostly reserved for an abstract concept, and remains an adjective: Preventive medicine regards vitamin C as an effective preventative against colds.

No credible proof...

Preventive medicine regards vitamin C as an effective preventative against colds.

Vitamin C has no credible proof that it has any affect in preventing colds. However, ask any urologist and they will tell you that over doses of Vitamin C does have a detrimental effect on the prostrate gland.

virg

In moderation, most things are fine. It provides a fine thin protective sheen on metals for casual storrage.

I push a wet patch of it through my cleaned barrel, and a spray of it in the chamber and on the bolt, rather then to gunk everything up with heavy oils and compounds.

At the firing range I push one dry patch through the barrel and I'm ready to go.

WD-40 works pertty good as a starting fluid too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD
Ever since I had WD-40 render a Browning Light 12 inoperative (years of gummy build up), this and curing squeaky door hinges are the only uses I have for the product.

preventive or preventative -The words are often used interchangeably to denote whatever prevents something else happening or occurring, especially when it is undesirable. However, preventative is often applied to an actual object, especially in noun form, while preventive is mostly reserved for an abstract concept, and remains an adjective: Preventive medicine regards vitamin C as an effective preventative against colds.
'Preventative' ain't in my dictionary (Webster's) at all. Just because a word is used much does not mean it's correct. That's right, ain't it? ;)

I hear that guys in the Pacific Northwest, like Alinwa, have mixed drinks made with WD-40. CC&WD ;)

Seriously, if you live anywhere with a lot of rain, such as the PNW or SE Alaska, a can of WD-40 in the garage, or boat, or car, is a must.

Ray

Nawww, we don't drink it although just yesterday my kid took a good squirt up the shnozzhole while blowing out the carb on his XR250. Since't he was smoking at the time,he had a dilemma...... INhale or EXhale??? :D

He didn't blow up so's I GUESS he picked the right choice.

As Lynn said though, we DO go through gallons of it. I've got gallon cans, squirt bottles and probably 50 aerosol cans scattered through every truck, boat, bike, tacklebox, bucket, bin, drawer or room on the place. It's never many steps to the WD. It's the all-purpose solvent.

But I don't let it touch my guns except to clean off an old or cruddy one. We'll blow our pistols out with it once they start malfunctioning...... but his means a total teardown once we get back in from shooting.

If you shoot,hunt,fish or wrench out here you'll keep lots of Lemon Joy, granulated sugar, WD-40 and just enough Hoppes #9 or SC/Kroil around to lend atmosphere........ I normally sprinkle a little Hoppe's on my shooting bench and spritz the loading area with SC/Kroil. Makes for variety..

I get a hardon just walking by my range house or opening the door on the shop........

But I don't believe in leaving WD-40 on gunsteel.

just me

al

BTW Lynn, starter fluid and BrakeKleen were the hot tickets on Springers this year :D And GARLIC..... bleachhhhh ...... I could barely stand trolling through some sections. I kept looking over my shoulder for a white towel holding a monkey suit, waiting for a supercilious sniff....

WD-40's preventattiveness

The only thing these light oils prevent is the evaporation of moisture AWAY from the metal. Never use these "runny" oils repeatedly on a wood stocked firearm - especially if stored standing.

There was a time we used it hereabouts cleaning out to stop that carbon ring - but that was long ago....

Last edited:
I used to use it for other things, but not my firearms. I stopped using it altogether when it seemed to me to attract and collect dust even more than plain oil. After a while the things coated with it just looked dirty. :eek:

gt40

I really like WD-40, try it for killing spiders in the web. Take a propane lighter, light it and spray WD-40 while aiming it at spider. It is satisfying.

I would not buy the gumming up crap for anything else.

I don't think you could find a worst product for guns than WD-40, no matter how hard you try.:mad:

To dispel more myths about the invention of WD-40 ( It sands for water dispersing 40 to one) in case you didn't know. Was invented for drilling and machining aluminum by and old naval chief.

It's biggest market used to be the aircraft industry for cleaning the control cables on 707 aircraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like WD-40, try it for killing spiders in the web. Take a propane lighter, light it and spray WD-40 while aiming it at spider. It is satisfying.

I would not buy the gumming up crap for anything else.

I don't think you could find a worst product for guns than WD-40, no matter how hard you try.:mad:

To dispel more myths about the invention of WD-40 ( It sands for water dispersing 40 to one) in case you didn't know. Was invented for drilling and machining aluminum by and old naval chief.

It's biggest market used to be the aircraft industry for cleaning the control cables on 707 aircraft.

Pick your apochrypha I guess :)

This link ties in well with the story I was raised with.... I've grown up around folks who've invented and marketed stuff for a living.

http://inventors.about.com/od/wstartinventions/a/WDFourty.htm

al

I have heard it said you must have duct tape and WD 40 somewhere in your tool box.

If you want it to move and it don't, use WD 40.

If it moves and you want it to stop, use duct tape.

Concho Bill

I spray down the exterior of revolvers (NOT the lock work) with WD after long shooting sessions. It loosens up the powder fouling around the cylinder and forcing cone. After letting it set for awhile then I clean the gun as usual using regular gun cleaners. I never use WD as a lubricant or preservative. When I want to take good care of a gun I use Breakfree CLP. WD-40 is great for taking off lug nuts but not for protecting guns, IMHO.

Here is a little info on WD40:
WD-40

The list of what this amazing product does keeps getting longer. This was sent to me, and I am sharing it with you.

I had a neighbor who had bought a new pickup truck. Early one Sunday morning, it was discovered that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of the truck. I went over to his house and broke the bad news to him. He was very upset and didn’t know what he was going to do about the paint. Another neighbor came over and told him to get out the WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I’m impressed!

WD-40, Water Displacement#40, is a product that began as a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. The name comes from the project that was to find a “water displacement” compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts. Ken East, one of the founders of this product, says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. When you read the “shower door” part, try it. It is the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It is a mirical product!
Now, here is a growing list of things that you can use WD-40 for:

1. Try it on your stovetop – Voila – it is now shinier than it has ever been.
2. Here are some more uses:
3. Protects silver from tarnishing.
4. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
5. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
6. Gives floors that “just waxed” look sheen without making it slippery.
7. Keeps flies off of cows.
8. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
9. Removes lipstick stains.
10. Loosens stubborn zippers.
11. Untangles jewelry chains.
12. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks, cleans front of stainless steel appliances.
13. Removes dirt and grime from barbeque grills.
14. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
15. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
16. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
17. Camouflage scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
18. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
19. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
20. Gives a children’s play gym slide a shine for a super fast ride.
21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling.
22. Ride kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23. Lubricates sticking home window tracks and prevents them from sticking.
24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26. Restores and cleans vehicle roof racks.
27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28. Lubricate wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles.
29. Lubricates fan belts on washer and dryers and keeps them running smooth.
30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades and other tools.
31. Removes splattered grease on stoves.
32. Lubricate prosthetic limbs.
33. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
36. Said to relieve arthritis by spraying on arms, hands, etc.
37. Florida’s favorite use: Removes love bugs from grill and bumpers.
38. NY uses it to protect the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39. WD-40 attracts fish and is cheaper than products made for that purpose on lures.
40. Use it for fire ant bites. Takes sting away immediately.
41. Works great removing crayon marks from walls.
42. Also, if you discovered the teenage daughter has left her lipstick in clothes that went to the washer, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Spots are gone!
43. Sprayed on a distributor cap, will displace moisture and allow car to start.
44. Bug guts removes from the front of your car.
45. Cleans vinyl leather bow cases with ease.
46. Cleans hard side bow cases with ease.
47. Removes dirt from your bows.
48. Cleans up arrows after a day of shooting.
49. Removes scuff marks from flooring.
50. And the list goes on and on!

Having looked through the list

it made me wonder if perhaps WD-40 would be a good cleaning solvent for rifle barrels? If it will clean barbique grills, well, it just get one to "thankin", that all; guess I'll go try it. I'll report back :) .

I use it to wash out harsh bore cleaners such as JB or Rem Clean, or spray down a shotgun that was dunked or rained on in the duck marsh.

For rust prevention and lubrication CLP or FP-10 are used.

Back