WD 40 -- Any Uses?

M

Montana Pete

I occasionally use WD-40 around my guns, and wonder if anyone else uses it.

After cleaning the rifle, and running several dry patches to remove traces of solvent, I spray a clean, dry patch with WD-40 and run it through the bore. The idea is, to provide a film of protection.

I also sometimes spray it on a piece of tissue and use it to wipe my rifle down of any fingerprints or the like, before putting the rifle back in the rack.

I used to use a good machine oil such as "3-in-1." Would that be better?

Just curious --

I like WD40

for freeing sticky parts, etc. I feel there are other, better rust preventatives that adhere to the surface you put them on better than WD40. It does work though. It's a great water displacer for electrical systems...hence the WD. Supposedly the final product was created on the inventors 40th attempt??

WD 40 is good for getting road tar off a car, dissolving stubborn pressure sensitive adhesives off of surfaces and as a lube for machining aluminum.

3 in One Oil is vegetable based and is is good for gumming up fine mechanisms.

There are great lubes for guns but these are not among them.

How to make your own WD 40

Go to Walmart in the ladies cosmetic section. Find some cheep perfume. Stop on your way home and buy yourself a gallon of K1 Kerosene. Mix the two and you will have generic WD 40.

Nat Lambeth

oil

Pete- Best advice I've gotten about bore care came from a champion shooter: a drop of Kroil down the tube(on a patch). When you shoot next, either patch it out or shoot it out. We're talking about a dime size spot on a patch. Wd-40 is good for lots of things guns not one EXCEPT: I've used it to effectively to remove light rust. V/R Greg

For what it's worth, I just visited the 3-in-One website.

It is apparently not a vegetable oil, but contains "petroleum distillates." It is advertized to be a rust preventative, which is mainly why we have used it on guns over the years.

3-in-One is really best described as a light machine oil, I believe. The site lists appropriate uses, to include firearms. It is also suitable for fine mechanisms such as sewing machines.

I doubt it is very different from some of the commercial gun oils, such as Outers products and similar.

Based on the advice posted here, I think I will put away the WD-40 and find something else to use for wiping down guns. WD probably doesn't hurt them, since it is advertized as a rust preventative. However, as one fellow said, it is probably too light and volatile to leave much of a protective film. I will have to look into this Kroll product.

Thanks for the helpful tips. I've learned something.

For my gun wipe down oil I have used Marvell Mystery oil for many years.

It is not a heavy oil so I do not suggest it for long term storage. Most 30 SAE oils are better for this storage.

Dulited it is very much like Koil. Smells the same for what that is worth.

I hear that guys in the Pacific Northwest, like Alinwa, have mixed drinks made with WD-40. CC&WD ;)

Seriously, if you live anywhere with a lot of rain, such as the PNW or SE Alaska, a can of WD-40 in the garage, or boat, or car, is a must.

Ray

The only uses I have or had for WD-40 was on dirt bikes after they'd been washed, I'd spray the stuff on the footpeg pivots and similar stuff to remove water. It works well for similar applications. For guns it's not the best.

A guy I used to work with had been spraying WD-40 into the bolt of his Rem 700 to protect it from moisture while hunting in Western WA. Lined up on an elk pull the trigger, and the lock time could have been measured with an old fashioned sand filled egg timer. Dismantling the bolt and cleaning the gummed up WD-40 out with some fairly nasty solvents cleaned it all out.

Break Free and some other lubes work down to temperatures that most sane people don't go out in, -40 to -50 F. They won't gum up either, and Break Free also displaces moisture.

Love the WD40;

-good exterior acid neutralizer and rust inhibitor, many dont like it because of the "varnish" like coating once dried, but that coating is what inhibits much of the rust accumulation, disolves easy with paint thinner.

-good penetrant.

-terrible lubricant, not what it was made for.

-great water displacer.

-great contact indicator when used for "smoking" parts, its the kerosene.

Fyi

An old friend of mine down in N.C. did some research on WD 40. This was over 15 years ago.
He told me that the U.S. Navy asked for a solvent that could be sprayed into the bores of the BIG guns on navel ships to prevent rust in the bore.
The U.S. government paid for the entire research & developement on this new "Water Deturrent" and after 39 unsatisfactory samples were thrown out they found what they were lookin for in mixture # "40".
I've never known J.D. McCall to be wrong about anything he ever told anyone, but I think you will be better off with some of the more modern products.
If my memory serves right WD 40 was developed prior to WW II.

WD-40 is a good wasp killer. Works almost instantly.

I know this is picking at nits but there is no such word as 'preventative'. It is preventive.
Class dismissed. ;)

As for wiping on some 3-in-One oil, contrary to what one person stated, it is not a vegetable product, but a petroleum distillate.

It is a good general purpose oil -- a kind of light machine oil. The company's website claims it is useful for machine products like firearms, sewing machines, bicycles, and similar.

It is advertized as a rust preventive, and we have always used it on our guns.

It is more viscous and less watery than some of the gun oils on the market-- for one example, Outers Gun Oil.

I love the stuff...first can I grab if something is dirty / greasy / grimy and needs cleaning. I'll follow up with another lubricant / preservative / degreaser/ for the particualr application.

great smell too.

Never knew it worked on wasps mickey!!

pf
<><

This product won out...

Go to the 6mm web site and click on "technical articles" >corrosion test. A product called Eezox proved to be the best rust preventative after a 100 degree/100 percent humidity, fifteen day exposure test.

This product is available at most sporting supply stores.

virg

The stuff works good on stuck locks and squeaky things.

I was told by a machinist not to use it on set screws as it was corrosive and machine oil worked better.

Concho Bill

WD-40 works pertty good as a starting fluid too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Back