Want opinions

I got me some Claryville Creek sand down the road from Gordon E's house, and I improved all the way to second from last in the last IR 50/50 shoot......;)

+1 Jerry...on the parakeet gravel

but I talked with Speedy a lot and modified slightly his advise. What I did was get a protector bag with rabbit ears. I filled the rabbit ears fairly hard with parakeet sand from walmart. Not so hard they don't deflect, but don't slump either.

The bottom I filled with parakeet sand mixed with small aquarium gravel about half and half by volume. My goal was to not allow any packing. I am a bag squeezer and wanted some compliance in the bag. I wanted to be able to solidly squeeze the bag and have the gun move enough such that it showed about an inch on the target and returned when let go. I used to use a protector with hard sand and it would not do that.

I shoot a 30br and the old bag kept giving me vertical. After moving to the new bag it went away. The only issue is I think the sand tends to migrate to the bottom in the bottom and the lighter gravel floats up. I put the bag in the car upside down so the vibration tends to undo it as I travel around.

Not a world class shooter at all. Not even a local class shooter. Worked for me and made engineering sense to give a better damping and reduce vibrations (and its not so damn heavy to carry around).

I got the same idea from Ed Watson and Gary Conaway many years ago - and this is what I use. Don't pack the front bag too hard. Remember the 1/4" deflection rule. A lot of poor shooting rifles have been fixed over the years by simply softening the front sandbag. I use heavy garnet sand in the rear bag...also not packed too hard.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

I got the same idea from Ed Watson and Gary Conaway many years ago - and this is what I use. Don't pack the front bag too hard. Remember the 1/4" deflection rule. A lot of poor shooting rifles have been fixed over the years by simply softening the front sandbag. I use heavy garnet sand in the rear bag...also not packed too hard.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Greg, guess what about the parakeet stuff. A few year ago we went to Wally World in Massalon to get some Parakeet gravel to fill some elbow rest bags. We ended up with one bag of Parakeet seed. I put it in my Edgewood elbow bag I has just bought. It works geat. Still in there. I'll show you tomorrow. I have thought of trying it in the front rest bag...someday.

For the front bag on my Farley I like to use the black sand that can be purchased at Tractor Supply . I think it goes by the trade name "Black Diamond" . The granules are more jagged and they don't pack so hard and tight like other sands but I've never tried the pet store sands either. Also, it's heavier than play sand but not as heavy as the heavy black sand that Sinclair sells. Black Diamond comes in a big bag but is fairly inexpensive . FWIW

Rodney

Back