Walnut stock

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

Turkish does not compare, Kind Regards Gordon Smith, Old Tree Gun Blanks.

walnut

Hi Butch, Sent you an email, those blanks and prices will be on our web site maybe by tomorrow with many more, including a matching set for $10,000, if Butch in kind he can fill all you gun makers in the Mariposa set and our plans, Kind Regards Gordon Smith , Old Tree Gun Blanks.

walnut

Let's make something very clear, when selling blanks the first thing I ask a client is what cal the wood is going on, not all blanks are cut for a 300 weatherby mag or a any elephant gun, hell, a broom stick is strong enough for an air gun and or a 22 cal, and I sell a few to people that dont need all that strength, for air guns and 22s, and dont have $3000 or so to spend, my point, there is a blank for every gun and for every budget, and knots and birds eye are to different things, and no good gun maker should ever predict layout from a pic, Thanks, Kind Regards Gordon Smith, Owner Old Tree Gun Blanks Company.

i just finished a rifle recently

with a blank from ray and cathy richter. they are really nice people to work with and their blanks are priced right in my book. my rifle was built on a blank like 3591 really thick marble cake and fiddleback runs the whole length on both sides. check them out. also check the blanks they just cut for future reference too. http://familygrade.blogspot.com/
Fred

The way I think about wood is funny when I think about it and what I look for. It all starts with the rifle or shotgun, if I want to do a two piece stock for a rifle like an American made single shot, then only black walnut comes to mind and that is what I'm going to look at, for a classy over and under or side by side, then I'm only going to look at two piece french. Now when it comes to a real nice bolt action rifle I going to think french in a well laid out grain patten. I have found that by looking for the best laid out grain pattern can lead you to some wood you would never have thought about to start. Normally I would never look for a myrtle wood in any thing, but I have found one blank that turned into a beautiful marble cake that you would swear was french.

So for me, your best bet is always look for lay out in your search and don't get led astray. All ways look at the pattern in the pistol grip area, look for the upward upsweep of the grain in the for end, I don't care if the whole pattern is just fantastic, I want these two areas to be perfect before I look at the rest. You do need to have a great carver to work with, e will have the patterns, he will have the right insight to help you and he will tell you if the blank you send him will work out for what you have in mind. Learn to listen to what these wood people have to say, they will help you more than anyone else. Ask about blanks from these carvers, they may have some really good stuff.

walnut

Ray and Cathy are doing great work, as far as cutting blanks I respect Ray's work more than anyone else out there who is my competition, WHY ? Because his lay out is clean, and he is a perfectionist, and he is honest, that's why he has my respect, He has also been around along time, and he does what I do, He's a cutter like I am that does the hole process from tree to cured blank and out to the fedx truck, what Im saying is its one man with quality control like I am, and that I respect because it's allot of hard work , you all have a great Turkey day, Kind Regard's Gordon, Old Tree Gun Blanks.

A friend of mine and I bought 5 blanks from Gordon at Old Tree about a year and a half ago and I can tell you he was an absolute pleasure and gentleman to do bussines with!

Old Tree Gun Blanks Walnut

SWD, Thank you , Hope your Duck hunting is better out your way than mine here, not enough weather to push down the big numbers yet, maybe Quail tomorrow, :), Kind Regards G

Weather? The question is whether or not we'll ever get any. Today was 61 and blue sky in nothern Ca. We need some rain really bad.

walnut blanks

Bought one of those quail calls last night, figured if I cant see them in thick brush then maybe I can get them to sound off to locate them , Regards G

Back