VV130 vs H322

Z

Zundel257

Ok, I just bought a Bob Green Custom 6mm PPC and the previous owner told me that the rifle loves berger 68 gr hp bullets over 28.5 grains of VV130 powder. The problem is that I can not find VV130 and now bought H322. What charge of H322 would be comparable to 28.5 grains of VV130? I have tried looking up the appropriate load data on the Hodgdon website, but they dont have data for the Berger 68 gr match bullets. Thanks

MidwayUSA, Sinclair International have it in stock. Only available in 1 # containers. Are you sure he didn't mean VV133?

Vv130

My Vihtavuori Book does list a N130 load, but maxix out at 26.1 gr. The load you listed fit what I am using with N133 . Better check it out before you load any n130 at that weight.
Arthur L.

Prolly shoot best with VV133 or old 8208, if you must use 322 try working up to 27.5 , Bergers are great bullets! Good Luck and have fun. If its your first PPC welcome to the maddness! Your at the right place to ask questions about your PPC.
Why did you buy the gun, if I may ask?

I have never shot N130 and don't know anyone personally who has. However I have shot a lot of H322. In a custom action you can start at about 26.5 and then go up with H322. Most custom actions will shot heavier loads than the manual recommends. Be sure to use Lapua Brass.
As far as 68 Bergers, I am sure they work great but there are a lot of other custom 68 grain bullets available as well. Such as Cheek, BIB or half a dozen others you can find advertized on BR central. Or possibly a good maker in your area.

I bought the gun because I have a custom .308 and wanted another benchrest gun. All of my research led me to the 6mm PPC. I was able to buy match grade 308 shells, but now I am getting into reloading my 308's and 6mm PPC's so I need a little help. Also, I do not have a chronograph, so can you tell me what kind of muzzel velocity I will be looking at with the 26.5 gr of H322 and the 68 gr berger's? I know that it depends on twist and barrel legnth, but I do not have those specs yet. Eventually I would like to get into some competitions but I do not know if they have them close to where I live.

Welcome Jeff,
Get Mike Ratigan's Book, read it a couple of times, most everything you need to know about the basics is in there. Find your neck Dia. > its important.The brass takes a little work, but its not hard. Become friendly with the Sinclair Catalog, there's stuff you will need. Wind flags are the most important items > you don't have to spend a lot of money to learn what the enviroment does to your bullets. The best part is practicing > its fun. You have just purchased the most accurate short range rifle on the planet!
PS You don't really need a chronograph for short range 100-200 yards, read the targets. IMHO

OK, just bought a chronograph because I am planning on taking shots out as far as I can. How far in front of the barrel should I put it to get the muzzel velocity? Also, the rifle came with 150 brass of which 50 are ready to go and 100 just need to be fireformed, so I am good on the neck turning until I need to buy more brass. I have been told that the lapua brass that is coming with it can be reloaded 10 times before they go bad, is this true? I am becoming much more familiar with Sinclair and Midway. They both really like my credit card right now.

You should put your chronograph out at 10 ft and do it the same each time.
You DO know that the 6PPC with 68 grain bullets isn't really a long range cartridge .....right? The wind will really knock that little bullet around and the trajectory is not good beyond 300 yards.
If you have reloaded before this one shouldn't be an issue. You just need to know your neck diameter so that you can neck turn properly.

I know that alot of the competition guys shoot 6mm ppc in the 100, 300, and 500yd benchrest matches. I will not have much of an opportunity to get that far past 500 very often so I think it will be the right cartridge for me. I am a little unfamiliar how to use the body sizing die to shape the 220 russian lapua brass. Any info on this would be a great help. Thanks again to everyone for there answers. I am just learning.

If you really want a quick education on all facets of shooting a PPC for shortrange BR you are in luck . Just up the road from you in 2 weeks in Ft. Deposit Al. will be one of the premier BR matches of the year at Rachels Glenn. Thirty plus of the best shooters in the country will be there for a four gun 200 yard match put on by Mickey Coleman. If you will come by Wed. thru Fri. morning you will find numerous people who will be able answer any question you might have. If you come on Sat./Sun. during the match it will give you a great idea as to what a match consists and how it is shot but shooters will have little time to talk.
Come on up we will be glad to help, and we always have stuff to sell!

Is there a website that I can get more info about the match??

Jeff, if you will go to the Home section of this site and look up Gunsmiths you will find the site for Coleman Rifles which will provide you the address to the Mickey's shop and range. The match will start Sat. morning April 9th but there will be shooters there earlier in the week.

Thanks. That is not far away at all. I may drive up and watch on saturday.

Dwight gave you some great advice. Get up there during the week and attend at least one day (sat & sat evening would be best). Make a list of questions you have and take it with you. Also, make sure you ask if anyone uses N130.

Hovis

Back