Vv N135

A

AVanGorder

Who has messed with N135? What did you try it in? What are the results?

Performs great...

I use 42.8gr behind a 136 BIB bullet in a 30-47 HBR. Shoots great. A very reliable powder, that for me is very temperature tolerant. I preload before going to a match and have never (so far) felt I had to change my load. I've used the same load with three different lots of powder and didn't have to change my powder measure setting. They all came out the same weight with the same culver setting on my Harrell.

Great with 66-69 grn match bullets in the 6BR.
I did some accuracy testing a number of years ago with a 1-14 twist Keieger and N135. I treated it just like I would 133 and a 6PPC, arriving at a upper end load at 3500+ fps.
Accuracy was darned near what I could get with my 6PPC.
One thing of interest I did discover was N135 shares the same quirk as does N133, that being, when the humidity got really low, it wanted to go crazy, as in not wanting to agg. The cure was the same as we use with N133. Increase the load. A lot.
This is one thing that has lead me to believe that the cuprit that causes these powders to act this way is the coating, (retardents), that VV uses.
I have not done enoughbtesting with N120 that I sometimesuse in my 30PPC to seeif it shares this trait. It might not, as, while N135 and N133 have a similiar appearance, and are about the same grain cut, N120 is quite a bit finer cut, and darned near black in color........jackie

what works for low humidity?

I live in an area that has very low humidity, 15% is about average this time of year. What 6PPC powder would you try for 90 degree days with this low humidity?

In my opinion

Everyone should divorce themselves from Viht powders. There are others out there if we simply look. viht , for example, we have tons of fun . any time a company believes it is expedient

I shot some in a 223 Ack that I use as a coyote gun and just couldn't get enough in the case for 68's. I got home and weighed a charge. It was less than the VV manual was getting in regular 223's. I gave the case a good shaking when I charged it and was able to get some more in there. Haven't had a chance to test it since then.

How does the burn rate compare to BL(c)-2? I have a .308 HC gun that doesn't want to shoot Varget, or N-140, but loves a really light load of ball c. Should I bother fooling with N-135? I'd love to get the powder up into the neck of the case.

Last edited:
I've had very good results with N135 shooting 65 grn. bullets in a 1:14 6mm BR. Surprisingly, the 65 grn. Hornady V-Maxes shoot as well as the custom bullets.
Chino69

i have a 308 win br which i tried both 140 and 135 in. i was using 125 and bib 135 bullets......the 140 worked best...all i can tell you....may case is bigger than yours.....

mike in co

45 grains with a BIB 135/10 ogive pill in a 308 Obermeyer with 3 groove 15 twist Lilja shoots extremely well.

Mike

45 grains with a BIB 135/10 ogive pill in a 308 Obermeyer with 3 groove 15 twist Lilja shoots extremely well.

Mike

mike...how long is the bbl and how fast were you going ??

i only went to 44.7

mike

mike...how long is the bbl and how fast were you going ??

i only went to 44.7

mike

My barrel on my HBR is 23". As for how fast I have no idea? Never chrono'd that load. I only used it during one match because I was running out of N140 powder and a buddy filled my powder measure up with N135 to cover me for the rest of the next days match.

308OBI1.jpg

BTW, are you shooting up at weld co? If so do you have the match schedule? I have been out of the shooting circle for like 4 years...... Too much work! Anyway if you have the schedule could you get it to me?

Thanks

Mike

mike,
I DO NOT HAVE THE SCHEDULE/nor a contact. just post here someone will speak up.
ok, i shoot n140 normally...where are you at on loads ? you can pm me if you do not want to post numbers.
thanks
mike

Back