Vixen

C

ColColt

I need to stay off the Internet for a few days. I keep running across things that make my check book pop out of my pocket. Resistance is getting weaker but I'm fighting the feeling with all I have.

I ran across a Sako Vixen Heavy barrel Bofors Steel in .222 Remington and it's almost a must have. I know little other than a small amount I've read about this rifle and it seems to be a real winner all the way around. The serial number is 98XXX but that tells me little. Are these as good as I've read or hype?

Sako Vixens and Sakos in general

I need to stay off the Internet for a few days. I keep running across things that make my check book pop out of my pocket. Resistance is getting weaker but I'm fighting the feeling with all I have.

I ran across a Sako Vixen Heavy barrel Bofors Steel in .222 Remington and it's almost a must have. I know little other than a small amount I've read about this rifle and it seems to be a real winner all the way around. The serial number is 98XXX but that tells me little. Are these as good as I've read or hype?
Having owned three Sako rifles in my shooting career I feel that I am in a position to comment. First of all if you consider the price of this rifle to be half reasonable, jump on it before someone else does as Sako rifles are greatly sought after. For pride of ownership Sako rifles made between about 1963 and 1973 are without peer. The finish on the metal work is something to behold and the blue looks like baked enamel and the woodwork is up there with the best in the world. Accuracy wise my 222 Remington Mag was not all that flash with the sporter weight barrel. I shot plenty of Kangaroos with it and a Dingo, but on the range about 1.5" 5 shot groups were normal at 100yds and about all I asked for. Later I bought a Rem.788 and accuracy wise it would run rings around it but certainly not as pretty. My next Sako was an L461 heavy barrel in calibre 6ppc which I purchased new around 1985. The fit and finish were gone, but accuracy was good and about on a par with My 788 triple 2. Next I acquired a Sako in 22 hornet, but my recollection of the exact model are hazy but it may have been called a 98, it was a scaled down version with a front locking action a little bigger than a 22 Rimfire. It looked pretty but I spent hours trying to get it to shoot and never succeeded, the magazine catch was also very weak and loosing the mag. was a constant worry. I am not enamoured with late model Sakos, and some of my pet grievences are the styling of the Sako 75 which I now consider obsolete, and the three lug bolt which I just cannot get used to and to my mind looks peculiar. I think that modern Sakos live very much on their reputation and that a Winchester model 70 super grade would be a better buy for anyone looking for an attractive rifle.

What do you think of this one with a serial number of 98XXX and the heavy barrel? Worth $1300?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I didn't know it existed.

That is one confusing place. I never did see how to start a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, like them bug holes. I guess I got tired of those 1/2-2" groups with my black powder rifles. But, what would you expect with iron sights at 100 yards and 67 year old eyes?:eek:

Now, if I could only afford a real BR rifle...

A joy to shoot and look at(like a fine woman) is my Browning BPCR in 45-70. More accurate than I'll ever be and near NIB when I bought it. About 62 gr of Swiss 1.5 with a 485-520 1:20 alloy bullet over a .060" wad and she'll do the job.

sako

i have several sakos. including a 243, 222 and 30-06. they are great rifles.

Back