Visit by the ATF..

I would like to hear a little more about the "easy on the eyes" part.;).......jackie

If it is the young lady named Kimberly "Kim" that visited me I will vouch for Nat's opinion about the "easy on the eyes" She was also a true pleasure to work with and very professional.

Would a FFL be of any use to a collector who only works on his own weapons?

Technically you would not be able to get a FFL license under the terms you describe. You have to have the intent of engaging in a business which means you would either be selling guns or performing gunsmithing on guns other than your own. You could get a Curios and Relics license but it is not the same as a FFL.

If you want to pursue you can request an application from the BATF and it will explain in detail all the rerquirements.

Easy on the eyes

Jackie:

Her husband does not have to have a sack on the bed side table.

She was like no Jack Booted thug I had ever been told about.

I would say she was first class in all respects.

J. Pendergraft we are talking about the same young lady.

My best friend once told me you could depend on three thing about "Nat" you could take to the bank. One, If he told you a girl was ugly then you did not want to go out with her on a blind date. Two, if he gave yyou a rifle to shoot it would shoot straigth and three if you went camping wth him you would eat well. I always took that as a complement.

Rustystud

What if the gun owner does not drive a car and has no drivers licence?

No Drivers License

J.Valentine:

The requirement is a government issued photo ID with both an address and date of birth. It czn be a combination of several documents.

Nat

FWIW many states CHL/CCW/CPL ARE valid forms of ID if they are issued by the state, and they have a photo.

The ATF used to recognize the distinction of an 01 FFL that did not sell guns, only did gunsmithing, however that is no longer true. However an 01 FFL that never ever sells a gun, will have a LOT less "stuff" to deal with.

NO NICS for one thing. NO 4473, and no need to check customers ID's....etc. etc.

Bill

The ATF used to recognize the distinction of an 01 FFL that did not sell guns, only did gunsmithing, however that is no longer true. However an 01 FFL that never ever sells a gun, will have a LOT less "stuff" to deal with.

NO NICS for one thing. NO 4473, and no need to check customers ID's....etc. etc.

Bill

Yes, the license for gunsmithing is a regular 01 FFL now and is required if you choose to do gunsmithing only. You are required to keep the bound book for acquisition and disposition. When I recently changed my address, the agent came by and noted that the book I was using was outdated and showed acquisition only and I needed to update to the newer A and D book available from Brownells.
Also needed to see the safe for locking up customers guns while in my posession.
My original question was if anyone that does gunsmithing only has ever had an audit was there was any additional requirements.
Gene

J.Valentine:

The requirement is a government issued photo ID with both an address and date of birth. It czn be a combination of several documents.

Nat

I understand now. Thanks Nat . I don't think the ATF would worry you too much.

My pistolsmith in Toledo is a gunsmith only. He recently had a compliance check, he has hundreds of customers guns in drawers under his workbench, the ATF did not tell him he needed a safe to put all his customers guns in.

Bill

They checked it all..

Paper work, inventory, safe, signs, procedures, etc.

I felt that I had been inspected, she was very professional.

Rustystud

My pistolsmith in Toledo is a gunsmith only. He recently had a compliance check, he has hundreds of customers guns in drawers under his workbench, the ATF did not tell him he needed a safe to put all his customers guns in.

Bill

Maybe it depends on the agent or how he or she feels that day?????
She sure did want to see my safe.
In your pistolsmiths case, if all those guns were stolen......... WOW!
Gene

Well all the guns can be stolen IN the safe :).

A safe is not required by law.

Bill

Come Prepared

My Safe is from a defunct Savings and Loan. It is a Diebold and weighs 9 tons. I had a hell of a time moving it to my shop. It was rolled on steel pipe pushed into place by a back hoe. You could not get the back hoe into my shop now. The doors are so heavy they have electric motors to assist in opening them. Yes, if they were to get into my safe they would be in for a surprise, a silent alarm and "Burglar Mist".
Rustystud

The inspections which are conducted on the FFL books are not done by Agents. They area done by inspectors, they don't carry guns, so you have no fear of being shot.

Back