virgin clean necks vs carbon fouled.

i posted here for two specific reasons.
score shooters
long range shooters.

both preload and have time.
i realize most of what is here is short range,
but if you do not ask you do not find out.

for those that do not know,
ss pins and soap in water will clean
your brass inside and out,including primer pockets,

your brass looks like new.

but it is a longer slower multi step process
that includes a drying step.

i posted here for two specific reasons.
score shooters
long range shooters.

both preload and have time.
i realize most of what is here is short range,
but if you do not ask you do not find out.

Okay. I agree with the "Don't ask don't git". That's what I call it. Back in the early 90's. The economy had a slight down turn. I asked the Apartment Manager about a slight discount. She said no. I called the property management co. That guy does not believe in talking to renters. But, I got my discount....Boy, was the manger mad.....

for those that do not know,
ss pins and soap in water will clean
your brass inside and out,including primer pockets,

your brass looks like new.

but it is a longer slower multi step process
that includes a drying step.

A couple weeks ago. At the range. A friend shows me his really clean brass. He does the SS pins thing. Loaded up 5 rounds. None would fire. While talking about the cleaning process, he forgot to check the primer pockets. They were wet...A Q-tip took care of it.....
Thinking about it some more. That SS pin cleaning would be real nice after annealing....

I shoot short range, I shoot score also long range bench and I shoot f class open and FTR
I have been very successful in all these class . I do a unbelievable amount of testing. Along with pressure testing . I have never proven cleaning inside your neck to improve anything . And I will also throw in there cleaning Primer Pockets has never proven anything . So I vote don't clean them .
Spend your time on load development and wind reading.

Good one Lou. Back in 2010 when I qualified for the World Team, I never cleaned the inside of a neck all year except if the brass hadn't been shot for a while and had a nasty color to it. Then brushed them only on the initial firing. Must have just got lucky.:cool:

Later
Dave

A couple weeks ago. At the range. A friend shows me his really clean brass. He does the SS pins thing. Loaded up 5 rounds. None would fire. While talking about the cleaning process, he forgot to check the primer pockets. They were wet...A Q-tip took care of it.....
Thinking about it some more. That SS pin cleaning would be real nice after annealing....

Its actually real good before annealing so you can see the color and the carbon doesnt insulate the brass

I just had the thought

that because cases harden as we use them and quite rapidly, this might explain why new cases perform so well. They easily and quickly conform to the chamber. Perhaps one could do a Rockwell test on a new case and find out what the difference in hardness between the metal south of the annealed neck and then check a case that has been shot 7 or 8 times. Remember, when one uses a full length die, the case then becomes like the die and not necessarily the chamber. Not as easy for the brass to expand, the more it is worked, eh.

Folks are so , dare I say, "paranoid" about softening up any part of the case below the neck without thinking that the case, in the beginning, was quite soft. More Benchrest Myths there, I'm sure.

From talking to a couple of guys who have BIG chambers, they never have problems with the "Click". Perhaps the community has been going at this the wrong way or, the guys who found out that BIG chambers worked better got ahead of the rest?

Pete

Last edited:
Clean necks:

When one gets into cleaning necks, the carbon is only one situation that needs to be dealt with. There is formed a patina on that inside surface that will give erratic seating; providing one is dependent on exact OAL's. It must be polished off. Once done, seating is unbelievably smooth and consistent.

The SS pins is a superb media for cleaning cases, inside and out. It will, with the right cleaning mixture, remove the carbon totally out of the cases. I bought 500 used cases from a friend who does not either clean or anneal. I have the cases reconditioned so that I have 500 prepped cases. (30 BR cases)Makes it a whole lot easier to keep up with annealing when one shoots a lot. I found that a regular small base 308 die will push the metal back far enough so that the click goes away. Some cases will last a very long time, when looked after well. I think more can be learned about annealing the entire case to allow for easier case re-forming; getting them back to the state they were in when they came out of the factory.

Pete

Pete,
The hardness tests have been done and published, years back in Precision Shooting. I have not looked recently, but the information may be in the Benchrest Primer. In any case, annealing the entire case would be completely undesirable because the strength of the head of the case depends on its being hard. This is old information, going more than a century. That is the reason that the old method for annealing cases involved standing them in a pan of water. If you are having click issues, perhaps you should be looking into a chamber reamer that is slightly larger at the back, or having your barrels polished out a little in this area.
Boyd

Thanks Boyd

Pete,
The hardness tests have been done and published, years back in Precision Shooting. I have not looked recently, but the information may be in the Benchrest Primer. In any case, annealing the entire case would be completely undesirable because the strength of the head of the case depends on its being hard. This is old information, going more than a century. That is the reason that the old method for annealing cases involved standing them in a pan of water. If you are having click issues, perhaps you should be looking into a chamber reamer that is slightly larger at the back, or having your barrels polished out a little in this area.
Boyd

Nothing new under the sun, is there?

My thinking was that they begin with virgin brass and every step adds hardness to it, I don't know where that would be once the case is finished out of the press but the hardness continues to grow. It seemed to me that one might be able to get back to where the brass was when it came out of the press. I am assuming that the brass used is not dead soft in the beginning of the manufacturing process but could not guess what the hardness would be. Where my thinking was trying to get to was the accuracy experienced from newly turned brass. This is only thinking about things, you understand. I am too lazy to put much time into it.

Pete

Pete

Last edited:
What Boyd said

thanks pete...i like your idea of using a 308 sb die.

about opening up the back of the chamber if you have a click problem. I never did it to any of mine; kept forgetting that was something I should do.

Pete

i am in the process of building a 6 mm br pd rifle.
the 308 sb die might come in useful in the future.
hope i never get into click territory.

about opening up the back of the chamber if you have a click problem. I never did it to any of mine; kept forgetting that was something I should do.

Pete

Back