Viper Action

When did Borden start making aluminum actions? Only Marsh and Kelbly's make aluminum actions that I know of.

Jim

Now 'at's FUNNY right there ;) ......

You'se guys doing a drop-port yet?

BTW I just ordered 2 more of them black-ticool Atlases from Ryan this morning..... good thing ya's got going there

Several actions can be modified to drop port configuration.
On another site there is a nice thread by Alex Wheeler converting I believe, a BAT.

No drop ports planned here, there are several companies offering to convert Kelbly actions to drop ports if you need one, Alex Wheeler included. Yes the Atlas sells very well and another 8 world records added last year to people using Kelbly actions for a total of 84 confirmed (website will be updated to show this soon). We are blessed to have such good shooters using our products. We want to thank all those using Kelbly products.

Jim

I know guys that convert panda's and others to drop ports but they all say they're dangerous, I've fired one and liked it but my normal BR rigs are set up for rightys and are left feed, right eject and they work fine, you just have to use a tube or a mat to keep the cases from rolling off of the bench.

I don't see

I know guys that convert panda's and others to drop ports but they all say they're dangerous, I've fired one and liked it but my normal BR rigs are set up for rightys and are left feed, right eject and they work fine, you just have to use a tube or a mat to keep the cases from rolling off of the bench.

how a drop port could be any more dangerous that any other action with a cut in the bottom and how could anyone call them any more dangerous than an action with only a loading port?

Pete

It's all about the extractor

Stillers was good because he used a rem style extractor. If there was a case failure the extractor would stay with the bolt. Sako style can be dangerous because there is a possibility of the extractor leaving the bolt. M-16 style extractors are better is this regard.

Richard

I converted my favorite R/L Farley to a drop port several years ago. Yes, when the bolt is closed, the Sako extractor has a clear exit straight down that Left Raceway.

I don't care. It's my Rifle.

I doubt the M-16 extractor would be any different. A blown case head would shear that little pivot pin, sending the extractor right out the rear.

This is a decision each individual will make. I would never sell this action, or do one for some one else. For my own use, I have no worries.

By the way. Stiller did not make a Stainless Steel Viper. He made a round Stainless action called a Diamond Back.

Last edited:
Actually, Jerry did make a Stainless Steel Viper. It just was not a short range item. Unless you could afford an action that weighed 56 ounces.
They are excellent for a cruiser weight or a 16 LB long range rifle. They were made from 17-4 stainless and I understand they were tough on tooling. But they sure are nice for their purpose.
Joe

Attachments

• SSViper.JPG
    SSViper.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 289
Actually, Jerry did make a Stainless Steel Viper. It just was not a short range item. Unless you could afford an action that weighed 56 ounces.
They are excellent for a cruiser weight or a 16 LB long range rifle. They were made from 17-4 stainless and I understand they were tough on tooling. But they sure are nice for their purpose.
Joe

That is SUCH a great 1000yd action. Like a big steel Panda......hefting one makes a Kodiak feel like a toy!

Joe

Joe, I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

I've noticed

a number of so called "Factory" actions from the custom folks with Sako type extractors on their bolts. Apparently there are quite a few who don't worry about them, as I don't. A shooting friend who has on on his 700 Rem bolt had one come out when he snapped on a reversed primer. Fortunately the parts stayed in the rifle and he was able to re-install it. :) I was told the Japanese believe if you don't look at danger, it won't hurt you. Heard that back in 64 when I was over there in Service and thought it a good philosophy to live by. There is also the one that goes "If your meant to be shot you won''t be hung". Another good one and why I don't "Carry". I do know for sure I wasn't born to be and am not trained to be a Gun Fighter.

Pete

Back