Vintage Remington 20X Target Scope

Yes but don't forget the Remington Benchrest bullets to go along with the Remington benchrest scope along with the Remington 40X BR. Remington made a lot of money promoting their product this way.
It sold an awful lot of 700,s and other models.

I have a nice Remington 20x BR taget scope with Unertl mounts with the return spring, nice condition. An amazingly bright image. And it's for sale too.

I talked to Walker in the mid 70s at a Silouhette Shoot at Ridgeway, Pa we were competing in and he had a prototype of said scope w/ internal mounts instead of external and he said he wasn't sure what power the scope was 16x or 17x. If nobody believes this, I don't really care but it's true.

Jeff Aberegg arranged for me to buy 3 of the scopes from Jim Stekl. ! was a 20XBR and 2 were 24XBR. They are out for new crosshairs.

My Remington scope story

I was excited to find the Benchrest Central forum especially after reading about stories of the Remington scope that I purchased back in the 70's. Back then I was looking for a very accurate varmint gun for groundhog hunting. I was reading a Shooters Magazine way back when and had noticed on the front cover was a Savage single shot 112-V with a 26 inch bull barrel. The stock is very plain with some checkering. The article talked about how accurate this gun was. So after looking for over a year I was finally able to get my hands on one chambered for 22-250. Here is where the Remington scope comes into play. I always visited our local sporting goods store with my dad and had asked the owner about a scope for my gun. Not having much money then he asked me if I was interested in a used Remington scope that was straight 20 power. The scope looked different than the standard scope but a 20 power scope for $100 was a good deal to me. I have been using this scope on my Savage now for well over 30 years and has shot extremely well. The interesting part of the story is that the name of the sporting goods store was Bentleyville Sports Shop or Buck Trew's located in Bentleyville Pa. One of the two brothers who owned the store was Barry Trew who started benchrest shooting in the early 50's. By 1956, Barry, then 18, had won the National Championship, the National Junior Championship (twice), the State Junior Championship, and was a first team All-American as a freshman at W&J, setting multiple national records. Barry won many awards, and in 1956 at Camp Perry, Ohio, he tried out for the U.S. Olympic Team, placing seventh. Also, in 1956, Trew fired the first ever 300X-300, a perfect score in the Pittsburgh and Suburban Rifle League. Trew fired 300s until 1988, and during one period averaged 298 for 10 straight years. He once shot six consecutive perfect scores, a record that stands to this day. He was a member of the International team that toured Europe in 1960 and 1962 and South America in 1961. Barry Trew shot in almost every country that took part in the shooting sports and without a doubt was one of the top three small bore shooters this country has produced. The others would be Gary Anderson and Lones Wigger.
Well I won't rant anymore. Just thought I would share an interesting story. I often wonder if the used Remington scope I bought from Trew's shop may have been used by Barry himself to win some championships.

Attachments

• IMG_4806.jpg
    IMG_4806.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 526
Steve,
Since posting in 2012 I acquired one of the three internally adjustable scopes that came from the custom shop. I hope to have in my possession the prototype for the internal adjustable scope later this week.
The first are my externally adjustable Remington scopes. They initially used Unertl adj. mounts and then their own.
r8sccj.jpg

The next is the internally adjustable scope.
10fweno.jpg

e67u5t.jpg

This last scope is the prototype.
kbbq4h.jpg

5dm83b.jpg

It appears that Mike Walker was using the Tucker type conversion many years ago.

Very nice collection of scopes you have there. Are they all 20x power? Where exactly was the custom shop located.

Jeff,
One will go an a custom woodstocked 40x. It is being stocked at this time. It should be ready before years end. The prototype scope will go in the gun safe and the externally adjustable scope will be for some future project. They were purposely made for the 40x. I may need to find another.

Butch...that is a fantastic collection you have there! I don't see any recoil springs on them. Don't they use them? Just manually rest the scope? I had a Lyman Super Targetspot on a 40x and it did not have a spring. I had to reset the scope for each shot. I regret getting rid of it, along with my Unertl I had.

That is very interesting that a spring could reset your scope. So the 20x, which is what I have, was made to have springs on it? Not quite sure mine is set up to use springs. I have been using mine on a varmint 22-250 rifle with great success. Probably not the best choice for a hunting rifle but does the job.

Remington made just under 1100 of these scopes. The first one's Mike Walker designed and built were 20x with Unertl mounts. Later, not wanting to rely on someone else ( Unertl ) Mike designed his own mounts. About #600 Remington came out with the 24x. You will see later number 20's with both Unertl or Remington mounts. The later mounts are not marked!! On the bottom of the scope ( under the eye piece ) is the serial number. The scopes were shipped in yellow plastic tubes with black caps along with an instruction sheet. Any questions let me know.

Jeff Aberegg

Jeff, Jim Carmichel has one of those. He and I were somewhat involved in settling Mikes estate and Jim purchased Mikes personal scope.

Remington 20X Target Scope - Recoil Spring

I believe it was Illion, NY

Bought a Remington 20X Target Scope without the recoil spring. Called Unertl Optical, talked with them and was told that all I needed to do was to unscrew the 'bell' and I could install the spring. I decided to send the scope to them, had the spring installed.

They were correct. Just screw the bell off and slide it on. Same thing for the crosshair cells. They juse slide in and out and are retained with 3-48 screws if I remember correctly.

Back