Vibrations...good and bad.

mwezell

Mike Ezell
Reading the thread about ejectors and a few more over time got me thinking about discussions I've had with people over the last several years and how vibration analysis testing applies to some of those discussions.

First, I wanna say that we can't eliminate all vibration and that we should NOT have that as our goal. A test that comes to mind was one where only an inch or so of bbl was left protruding after the bbl was set into concrete. No matter what they tried, that sucker would never shoot well.

Another example that I mention from time to time came from vibration analysis...We had already done lab testing and learned a bit but this was a live fire range test. All was going well and it was time and money well spent. The gun we were shooting was a glued and screwed cf rifle.

I had the bright idea that we should test it unglued vs glued. So, I go get a clothes iron at the local dollar general iirc. I come back and pull everything apart then set the iron on top of the intregral scope base on the Stiller Viper aluminum action until it get warm enough that you can hear it popping and creeking, as well as a little smell from the epoxy used for the glue in. Sure enough, she was ready to come apart, and did...beautifully. If you're familiar with those actions, you may know that the bottom is a fast fly cut finish to give them a good bite into the glue/bedding. Anyway, it came out gorgeous! You couldn't ask for a better bedding finish, shoing all the details from when it was machined when new....just perfectly.

Well, we had already established a great tune and numbers on the o-scope as well as on the tuner on the rifle, prior. So, I waited for it to cool, put everything back together and TORQUED the action screws back to exactly where they were prior to testing...a relatively high 65in/lbs.

Now the fun starts...the gun was pretty significantly out of tune...2 whole marks btw. That's pretty big and is only .002 of tuner travel. So, right out of the gate and based on testing, I moved the tuner IN 2 marks and it immediately starting bugholing just like before. The interesting part though is, it was now vibrating at a totally different frequency of vibration...considerably. So yes, a completely different vibrational node.(technically, anti-node)

Since this is NOT a tuner thread(LOL!), but about vibration, I'll cut to the point. This proved that the joint between perfect bedding vs a glued and screwed bedding MOVES! Later testing confirms that EVERY joint in the system moves, at high enough frequencies!! More torque simply raised the frequency where movement is consistently measurable. That inevitable movement was not amplitude based, but frequency...for all intents and purposes. This proved true as it was still the case on rf and cf bbls. So, what we were able to show is that every joint moves at high enough frequencies and that TUNE REPEATS with that frequency TOO...both rf and cf., but there are small differences beyond just that. Different subject, though.

Bottom line is, every joint moves and that the ultra(ish) high frequencies seen did NOT change accuracy potential!! So yes, stuff moves but that's not NECESSARILY a bad thing. In fact, it's a good one, if they are consistent at the lower frequencies and that the really higher ones did not show on target. At least not to the point where they aren't tunable, repeatedly, within just a few marks on the tuner.

Also, dampening of vibration is much(often) about inevitable movement getting cancelled out by a different movement in the system. So, as long as we have repeatable inevitable movement, we can adjust for it.

This is where the ejector tension and possible vibration changes come into play. First, they are tiny in the big scheme of all the vibration and frequencies going on at once, while the bullet is in the bbl. It doesn't matter, from what I could tell, what happens once the bullet is gone and of course that's at least plausible to most of us, in itself. So yes, I do believe that this tiny, tiny movement of the case upon firing does create a miniscule amount of vibrational change, it gets way....WAYYY lost in the noise.

But...That's not to say that it doesn't matter. In fact, all of what I just said should hopefully make us think about the potential to CONTROL, even those teeny tiny movements to improve upon accuracy even further. Yes, they get lost in the noise but that doesn't mean they are of no value...just that it's very difficult to quantify those changes on the target.

We're already splitting a mighty fine hair with how accurate these rifle are now. This just might be the crumb worth working on further in terms of better managing vibration.. controllably, to move a little step further forward. That's all for now. Just had this rambling thought and am posting it to bounce around on here.

Last edited:
Interesting observations.
I can understand how you call the tuner movement .002" when moving two clicks. That would be lateral travel, effectively lengthening or shortening the barrel.
I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong, but I thought the tuner basically balances the barrel. With a rotational movement changing the weight around the muzzle. Making the rotation of two clicks much more of a significant of a move than .002" of an inch in barrel length.

Interesting observations.
I can understand how you call the tuner movement .002" when moving two clicks. That would be lateral travel, effectively lengthening or shortening the barrel.
I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong, but I thought the tuner basically balances the barrel. With a rotational movement changing the weight around the muzzle. Making the rotation of two clicks much more of a significant of a move than .002" of an inch in barrel length.
I'm not following you for some reason. My tuners are threaded 32 TPI and the standard tuner has 32 marks around it. So for all intents and purposes, each mark moves the tuner a thou longitudinally, lengthwise. Some makes and models use different mark values and/or threads as well. Of course that will change how far the tuner moves with each graduation with different tuners.

I have to confess something. I intended this post for a different forum, where it was being discussed, the effect of running a spring loaded ejector vs removing it and how that translates to accuracy. I left it here because this place has always been a good site for in depth technical conversation. Not much for replies on the subject yet and that's ok.

I guess, basically I was saying, in my experience, a rotational movement affects my POI much more than a longitudinal movement. If I shoot with the tuner set at position 1, the gun will shoot similarly with the tuner spun 360 degrees and set to position 1.

It's just my personal opinion based on nothing scientific, but it makes sense to me that a barrel with some amount of flex to it will dwell at the top or bottom longer than one that is super stiff, and that can be dependent on many factors.

It's just my personal opinion based on nothing scientific, but it makes sense to me that a barrel with some amount of flex to it will dwell at the top or bottom longer than one that is super stiff, and that can be dependent on many factors.
Maybe or maybe not. -Al

This, I agree with. It's just physics but the difference is small and not something to hang your hat on or worry much with.

I guess, basically I was saying, in my experience, a rotational movement affects my POI much more than a longitudinal movement. If I shoot with the tuner set at position 1, the gun will shoot similarly with the tuner spun 360 degrees and set to position 1.
This, I'm still confused on. If it shoots similarly at 360° away, it was luck..or chance, IME, because of what I said before. The thread pitch and mark values, as well as every individual bbl will vibrate somewhat differently and the thread pitch and mark values are different between tuner makes. IME, there is NO WAY to make a tuner for every bbl where tune will repeat at 360° intervals...if that's what you are saying. They do repeat but not at 360° intervals, or even close...and they will be different between tuner designs and bbls, to a degree, too. It's usually not that far between sweet spots, especially so on cf bbls, where they are typically stiffer and the bullet is gone in 1/3rd of a rf. CF bbls typically are only 4-5 marks between in tune to completely out of tune using MY tuner. Double that is about what it is between sweet spots at top and bottom of bbl swing, respectively. So, about 4-5 marks from great to horrible and 8-10 marks between sweet spots. This is extremely predictable because it's consistent across literally thousands of guns and test targets. RF is about double that, in simplest terms.

Just call me if you have questions and I'll be happy to help as much as I can...even with someone else's tuner. They are all similar but there are differences too...like thread pitch, weight and mark values. But I can usually help no matter whose it is. Some things are just better done by phone and tuners...are one of those things. Lol! They aren't difficult though. They're the easiest way to learn to keep a gun in tune and IME, it's not even close. But you can't move it randomly and hope for the best, either. If you don't have a methodical process, you're pissing up a rope. That goes for tuning with a tuner or without one!

For some reason, I think you have been led astray and it would be worth the time to discuss things a bit. There's a ton of bad info out there so it's easy to get headed down the wrong path out of the gate. Lets talk and then you decide.

I've read your post again and I do think you're headed down the wrong path but if I'm right about where, It's easy to test with several tuners.

If what you're saying is that the weight needs to be on one side or the other of the barrel but not changed lengthwise, simply use a depth mic to keep/verify length but move weight to the other side...or top vs bottom.

I don't agree with this because gravity is always on the same side...again, in simplest terms. But again, I love talking tuners, especially with someone who is thinking outside the box. Call me and lets talk. FWIW, look at my tuner design online. If what I think you are saying were true...it would not work, yet it does and has multiple national championships and world records to support that. I'm saying that to make a point...not to brag. It just either works or you're right...and it doesn't/can't because the design would be flawed and it just couldn't work consistently. So, one of us is right and the other is wrong. I don't see any way we can both be right here.

Last edited:
Back