VFS rifle requirements

OK...I was close to convinced that a 30PPC was equal to a 30BR but evidently there are some issues (either way). Dick, you mentioned dies. I assume the way to go (for either) would be a custom FL die with neck bushings. Why would 30BR be easier/simpler/cheaper than 30PPC?

Also, a few people have mentioned rebating the rims of a 30BR to fit the PPC bolt-face. How is that done exactly? On a lathe? If so, I don't have access to one, so do I buy them already rebated from someone or send new Lapua cases to a shooter/smith who does this sort of thing? Or is there a hand method that I can do? I do have a Forster case lathe tool.

I will not say the 30PPC, grendel etc is not equal to the 30 BR. I simply say it is like arguing the 6BR is just as good as the 6PPC, check the equipment lists of actual matches. I think you will find conservatively 5 30BR's for each variant you see being shot.

30BR Wilson Seating dies are available as an off the shelf item from Wilson. I believe Redding makes 30BR Full length dies as an off the shelf Item but a Semi Custom Harrels at $75 is what I would (and do) use.
I have never done the rebated rims thing I just use the BR boltface. Yes it is generally done on a lathe. I have known a couple of shooters who were very happy with the performance of the 30PPC but eventually went to the BR simply because it has just right case capacity with H4198 or N130 powders , while powder selection with the 30PPC is much trickier.
Dick

Last edited:
I am currently

With all of the mention of the 30PPC, 30 Major etc... what powders are you folks using?
using IMR-4198 and having good luck with it. H-4198 will work, but you will be using low density loads as the H is much faster than IMR. I have used AA 1680 and liked it. Some have used 4227, but I found it to be hard on cases. N-120 should work as well, but availability is difficult.

Just my experience.

David

using IMR-4198 and having good luck with it. H-4198 will work, but you will be using low density loads as the H is much faster than IMR. I have used AA 1680 and liked it. Some have used 4227, but I found it to be hard on cases. N-120 should work as well, but availability is difficult.

Just my experience.

David

LT30 should be just about perfect. One of these days I'll find time to test it in a 30 Major. FWIW, with all of the confusion regarding names, a 30 Major, aka 30 Grendel is not a 30PPC. It's right between a ppc and a br in terms of capacity and is formed by simply necking up Lapua Grendel brass.

With all of the mention of the 30PPC, 30 Major etc... what powders are you folks using?

When I built my first VFS 30, it was a 30PPC. I had my own reamer ground and figured out a way to make the cases by blowing them out.

I used 4227 and N120, with the H4227 being the best. The problem with the 30PPC was case life was pretty short. I finally designed my own 30BR reamer and went to it exclusively.

I had a full 8 pound jug Of N120 left over from that, and gave two of my good friends 4 pounds each to shoot in their 30 Major's. I had no use for it. They sure we're happy.

One problem with 4227 in a 30PPC is at the pressure where it really likes to shoot, it can go over the cliff pretty quick.

30 PPC Powder

Nothing could be easier. 31.8 of H4891 or 32.7 of LT-30 I use 110 or 112 gr bullets Need long drop tube for the 4891 and it is a compressed load. Don
OOPS Wrong number S/B H 4198 Sorry about that Don

Last edited:
Nothing could be easier. 31.8 of H4891 or 32.7 of LT-30 I use 110 or 112 gr bullets Need long drop tube for the 4891 and it is a compressed load. Don
Anyone else having trouble finding load data for H-4891? Normally I would chalk it up to misprint but with all the new powders coming out every other week, perhaps this is legit.

I dont think id skip out on a match just because all you have is a 6ppc. Sure a 30 is an advantage but its not like youre automatically halfway down the standings using a 6 and if it shoots good youll do just as well as a 30

VFS and 6PPC

You are right Dusty....Tom Libby would have won the Short Range Nationals in Las Vegas in 2012 ? But he got his high heels caught in the hem of his skirt or his blonde wig slipped and covered his shooting eye. It was one of those gender issues. He shot his final group on the wrong target. Don't think we can blame that on his 6PPC. Don

Theres still tons of 6's used in score. I think they just dont get talked about as much. A finely tuned 6ppc can shoot better than a 30 with a good br shooter running it on any day. But the 30 makes up for it cutting those huge holes. So never skip out on a match cause you dont have what the innernet says you have to have. Im sure libby coulda won it with a 20ppc had he not tripped over his skirt- hes one of those cats thats just that good.

Back