Very sad news, Del Bishop passes

Steve Kostanich

To all,

It is with great sadness that I must report the passing of Del Bishop. Complications of diabetes and kidney failure are what took him little after 4pm pdt today.

All who knew Del thought the world of him and he will be greatly missed. He was a fierce BR competitor and master bullet maker. When Del was in his prime, he was pretty much unbeatable, firing numerous 'teen range and grand aggregates. In 2005 Del fired the only 'teen five shot 300 yard group I have had the privilege of witnessing. His meticulous attention to detail produced some of the finest 6mm match bullets ever made.
I personally will remember Del for the great dry sense of humor he possessed, and his generous nature. Back in the '80's I came to a match with a 22 LV and the venue was Sporter, so Del quickly loans me his best rifle to shoot, and I ended up ahead of his in the standings! Del was always willing to give new shooters some good match bullets to get them started. What a guy!

The Northwest Region will especially be diminished without Del, as well as the many shooters around the country who shot Del's bullets.

At this time I have no info on where to send cards etc. I will pass on anything I learn.

Respectfully Del's long time friend,
Steve Kostanich

really hate to hear this

Steve, I am just floored at this news. I spoke with him several times last year and owed him a call and now this. Del had his share of misfortune and came through it with his trademarked infectious good spirits. I was really happy for him when we last spoke. Man, I wasn't expecting this. But thanks for putting the word out.

Scott Smallwood

It has been my privilege to have known Del, not as well as those that lived near, but well enough to have enjoyed many conversations. I always learned something. He had many friends, and will be missed by all who knew him. He had a zest for life, and was always good company. I will miss him. Steve, thanks for letting us know.
Boyd

This is indeed a grave moment for me. Del became a good friend of mine albeit over the telephone through the years. He was always keen to chat for hours on end about matters regarding benchrest and fishing. He was excited about the shoots I went to and gave me very good advice on shooting and bullet making. I was delighted if I could get his bullets into the "equipment lists" as I do not know of a man more meticulous and proud of his products. At times you could see top ten equipment lists for shoots on the west coast where every single shooter used Del's bullets!!

Without Del, it is going to be a tougher place for me and many others.

Chris

Years ago I was one of the guys lucky enough to be taken under Del’s wing. He was quite helpful when I was a rookie BR shooter especially when I was having trouble making things work. I won my first shoot down in Portland due to his advice on what I was missing in the condition. Del asked how I was doing and I told him I was shooting pretty well but it just seemed like I should be doing better with the conditions I had. He quietly told me to watch that little flag he had out about 5 feet in front of his bench. The back of the Portland range is closed off, and the outgoing wind was coming over the roof and pouring right down in front of the firing line. He had it figured out. After that things worked much better and I ended up winning it. Del generously gave me that tip even though it cost him the win!

A few years later Del insisted I shoot his second top to his rail gun with him. I did that for two seasons until I could manage to buy my own. During that time Del taught me the finer points of rail gun shooting, and one of those two years I was lucky enough to win the Sniper King shoot, a privilege I would not have had were it not for his generosity. I always learned something shooting with Del.

Del helped and encouraged me with my wind flag design. He had worked with wind flags himself and had some good ideas! When I started to make flags I felt like I needed to do it a different way than he was doing it because I didn’t want to be seen as stealing his idea. (even though it was a better way to do it) But, when he saw what I had planned he insisted I use his idea, and I’m still using it today. Del always had lots of ideas about Benchrest, especially bullets. In the last couple of years Del had been working with a new double ogive bullet in several different configurations and pretty quick a couple of world records fell to it.

And he was a tough shooter to beat! Many a time I thought I had something won and he would sneak in there at the last minute and steal it! If he was shooting he was a force to be reckoned with right to the end!

In his later years he wasn’t able to shoot much, but he was still in it. I could always tell how well he was feeling by how many times a week he would call me to talk shooting. He took great pride in how well guys were doing shooting his bullets, and it was my responsibility to get him the results of the big shoots from the internet since he wasn’t a computer guy. He really didn’t like it when the Super Shoot results took so long!

Dell was one of a kind, and a lot of us are really gonna miss him. So long Del!

Rick Graham

Attachments

• Del and rail.jpg
    Del and rail.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
Del

Del was my mentor when I got into benchrest shooting years ago. He was always quick to offer info and equiptment. As Steve pointed out it was nothing for him to lend me his gun to compete aginst him. (I'm not sure I faired as well as Steve though). I spent many hours on the phone talking to him as well as hanging out at his house. He also was teaching me how to make bullets for the last couple of years. I spent many winter evenings at his house making the bullets that I currently use. He was always excited hearing how "his" shooters did in matches using the bullets that he made. I think he enjoyed having us win just as much as he enjoyed winning. I'm going to miss those evenings brain storming and kicking ideas around as well as the advice he freely gave to me and all others. I've attached a few pictures in celebration of his life.
Scan791, June 12, 2011.jpgScan790, June 12, 2011.jpgScan789, June 12, 2011.jpg

I went to the range with Del one time. I had three rifles and a bunch of things to try. Del had one rifle and spent the day shooting 5 groups, an agg....... it was his green/gold chameleon BAT. This was the first time I saw the "work" side of BR shooting. He poured his guts into that aggregate.

Del wanted to teach me to shoot. I didn't have the time to take him up on his more than generous offer....

Ain't gonna' happen now.

RIP Del

al

I first met Del at a match in Tacoma 20 yrs. ago. He becomes your friend as soon as you meet him; I never heard Del say an unkind word about anyone. He'd travel down to Visalia for the Unlimited matches once or twice a year. I am grateful to him for sharing his bulletmaking knowledge and friendship. After he more or less quit shooting for health reasons, he still maintained an interest in the matches, always phoning to find out who did what. As echoed by everyone posting here, Del was a Big Man in many ways; we will miss him greatly.

What a shock! Although I never met Del face to face, I have spent many hours on the phone seeking his sage advice about shooting and bullet making. He loved the sport of Benchrest and he loved to make match winning bullets. As others have stated, he was more than willing to help anyone to improve their shooting. He was an icon of BR shooting in the Northwest and as far as Louisiana. He will be missed by all who knew him. Rest in peace my friend. We are diminished. James Mock

Man what bad news...we've lost another icon. I can't think of anyone else who got so excited talking about bullets and benchrest, hour after hour. Always enjoyed our phone visits sharing ideas and news about his next bullet making plans.

Del you were a "Prince Among Men" and will be sorely missed but you will be among many of your BR friends who have made the journey before you,

RIP Old Friend,

Jim

Even though we knew this was coming, this is remarkably hard. I can only hope to touch half as many people in my lifetime as Del touched in his. He will be missed by so many people.
Rest in Peace Del.

John

Our friend Del

We expected the dire news about our friend Del Bishop for most of the past week. When we heard of his passing, we tried to focus on the end of his pain and suffering. But the reality of losing Del is too much to comprehend at this time. We lost a friend, a mentor and a living treasure of benchrest.

At a time when our sport is suffering from the effects of the economy, falling attendance and is aging rapidly, it is very difficult to know that we will not have Del to bring us joy, perspective, advice and those perfect shiny bullets. His wealth of knowledge and generosity were endless. When Del wanted us to try a new bullet, he would give out samples and recommendations on shooting them properly. Whenever some of us were driving to the Cactus or Visalia, not only did he fill us in on the range characteristics, but also with tips on driving, hotels, rest stops and even which radio stations to tune to for mountain pass reports.

I was fortunate enough to talk to him few days after this past SuperShoot. He was very happy that couple of “his guys” – those using his bullets, were in the top 10 and top 20. His enthusiasm for others' success was no less than had he shot and placed well in those matches himself. We reminisced about some close HV and Unltd matches we had over the years, and finished up by saying "see you on Sunday in Tacoma." It was not meant to be. However, I know that in our hearts and minds, at the end of each Tacoma match, we will still hear Del calling us to the award presentations with a booming "Hear ye, hear ye".

The example Del set for us and the lessons we learned from him are many. Benchrest as a whole would benefit greatly from more role models who step up, give and share their knowledge and experience. Because at the end, that is what we will be remembered by, and be appreciated for. That's Del's legacy and it will live on. RIP Del Bishop.

Mustafa

Sad News...
I am greatful that I was able to spend 45 minutes at the April match in Tacoma talking with Del. He was remembering when he and Steve K were new to benchrest and that he would bet that my brother (Denny Andrews) would remember that. (I asked Denny if he remembered and he said that he did and broke out in a laugh. I asked why the laugh and he said that "that was a long time ago") We talked about the range and how it had changed over the years and he recommended that I watch my flags closer. (I wasn't shooting that well) Del was always there to answer questions and give advise, I just wish that I had listened closer and put some of his advise in play. He was a wonderful friend and competitor that I will miss terribly. He will be missed and remembered by all that knew him. Bruce Andrews

Back