Very Best Bolt Lug Grease

Barrel Saver

The best must be extreme pressure resistant and highly resistant to being rubbed off the lugs when they are locked shut on a tight cartridge. Ceramic formula (as in hBN Boron nitride ) Brake Pad Grease is designed to stay in place as a thin film even at high temperature, and it's definitely hard to remove once applied to a clean steel surface. Does anyone know of anything better for bolt lugs?

Good question,,,lots of answers....I have used various brands of synthetic grease blended with white lithium (Lubriplate brand) to thin it down so it will flow better on the cool days that I shoot in here in the mountains of the east....I really like the purple brand that all the dirt track racers use,,when mixed with the white lithium it will flow perfect out of a typical syrenge applicator,,,,Roger

Seeing as how I clean the bolt every time I clean the barrel I'm not convinced that a super-duper special grease is necessary. Every time I remove the bolt I apply grease on the lugs. When I clean the barrel, I wipe the bolt down, lightly oil it, apply grease to the lugs and camming areas. I've used Sinclair's "red" grease, which is too hard, and now use Pro-Shot, which seems to work very well. Approaching 3,000 rounds and the bolt looks good-as-new.

I have had good luck with ---chain saw bar oil---- very sticky but smooth to run the bolt . I also disasemble every thing and clean every thing after a Benchrest match.

I mix STP and MObile 1. Its still on there at the end of the day.
Never had a problem with the bolt since I started using it.
It even stays on the raceways of the action during the course of the days shooting. Only takes a tiny bit.

I've been using straight STP for about 3 years and wouldn't turn back until the container is gone. Let's see, I'm soon to be 68 and I have used and given away, perhaps 2 oz out of an 15 Oz container; probably won't need any more, eh? I have a tube of the Lucas Red-N Tacky #2 that seems to be very good as well but I like the lack of color of the STP vs colored greases.

I mix STP and MObile 1. Its still on there at the end of the day.
Never had a problem with the bolt since I started using it.
It even stays on the raceways of the action during the course of the days shooting. Only takes a tiny bit.

+1 on the STP & Mobil 1. I've used it for years.

Roy

I just started using Moly-slide from neco. I like it, it doesn't get wiped off the lugs like some greases. Its black, but that doesn't bother me. Wish I knew what kind of grease it is. They don't have a spec sheet on their site.

I've been experimenting with bolt lug grease lately ... trying to find one that doesn't wipe completely off the lugs each time I close the bolt. I've used at least a dozen different red, blue, green, purple and black varieties of greases with and without "moly" and had "usable" results ... but I haven't been satisfied.

Some Bostik Never-Seize compound stays on the lug surface better than any grease I've tried and it has excellent anti-galling and "pound-out" resistance.

Even noticeably better is Permatex brand Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, which contains boron, an excellent extreme pressure lube, and this stuff sticks to the lug bearing surface like epoxy! Yeh, I guess I'm a perfectionist about some stuff.

Back