"Value priced" bolt guns?

Ive looked at all the inexpensive bolt guns. The Marlins are rumored to be a copy of an older Sako, they shoot good but have a blind magazine. The Rugers, some shoot really good, but I think you would be stuck with the odd stock cause of the rotary mag and the weird bedding system. I like the idea of the 783 Remington, It has all the good points of a Savage but none of the bad. The receiver looks to be way stuffer than a 700 as it has only a loading port on the right and the top of the receiver isn't cut out and the rear ring isn't smaller its the same size as the front. If they made a 783 in a short action (or a short action stainless) I would own one now. The 783 has the floating bolt head, and the nut to make barrel changes easy, but not the screwed up trigger and sear of the Savage. They use the same trigger as the 700 so a Jewel is an option. do some checking and looking at the 783 I think you will like it, but like you say the stock is hard to look past.

The 783 does not use the same trigger as a 700 and a Jewell trigger for a 700 will not work in the 783. The 783 trigger has two mounting screws that come up from the bottom of the trigger to hold the trigger to the bottom of the receiver. The trigger is adjustable only for weight of pull. The trigger as set at the factory is breaking at 3 pounds measured with a NRA weight set. There is no sear engagement adjustment and it does have quite a bit of sear engagement. More than what I would like in one of my hunting rifles. The trigger shoe does have Remington's version of Savage's accu-trigger with Glock type safety on the trigger shoe. The guard screw spacing is the same as a long action 700, however it will not easily fit into a 700 stock as the bolt handle cutout is farther forward than for a long action 700. The firing pin uses a bayonet mount that you turn clockwise to remove from the bolt. The bolt does have the floating bolt head and uses the barrel nut system similar to the Savage to headspace the barrel. The bolt release is made like a Winchester 70 where you push down on the bolt release at the rear of the receiver to actuate the bolt release. The bolt release lever attaches to the trigger housing itself and is not attached to the receiver directly. All in all it doesn't look like too bad a rifle especially for a kid. The factory stock comes with spacers that can be added to increase the length of pull. I was going to originally set it up and see how it shot and then start making changes to it installing it into a uninletted McMillan 700 stock and rebarreling it if necessary. The factory stocks is set up with a detachable magazine, but the front part that holds the front guard screw is built into the stock and also is what holds the magazine in place. This would make it more difficult to restock. Not that it couldn't be done, but just harder to do. However, after seeing that and how the trigger is set up and how it mounts, I'll probably just set it up for a grandkid deer rifle as is. The stock is the injection molded type of stock and has two aluminum pillars installed in the stock using a front guard screw and a guard screw behind the trigger to hold the action to the stock. All in all it's not too bad a rifle and corrects some of the short comings of the old 788 model of rifle (mainly how the trigger was held onto the action on the 788 which I've seen fail numerous times on 788's) and adds the Savage barrel nut system of headspacing which makes the rifle cheaper to produce. I think Remington has done a good job coming out with a good product for a value class rifle. Certainly a lot better than the short lived 710 rifle that they sold for awhile. Retail pricing on them is $451. Not sure what they will actually cost though.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Value priced bolt gun?

Wally world has some 700 rifles for sale right now for a very reasonable, price Less the $400

The 783 does not use the same trigger as a 700 and a Jewell trigger for a 700 will not work in the 783. The 783 trigger has two mounting screws that come up from the bottom of the trigger to hold the trigger to the bottom of the receiver. The trigger is adjustable only for weight of pull. The trigger as set at the factory is breaking at 3 pounds measured with a NRA weight set. There is no sear engagement adjustment and it does have quite a bit of sear engagement. More than what I would like in one of my hunting rifles. The trigger shoe does have Remington's version of Savage's accu-trigger with Glock type safety on the trigger shoe. The guard screw spacing is the same as a long action 700, however it will not easily fit into a 700 stock as the bolt handle cutout is farther forward than for a long action 700. The firing pin uses a bayonet mount that you turn clockwise to remove from the bolt. The bolt does have the floating bolt head and uses the barrel nut system similar to the Savage to headspace the barrel. The bolt release is made like a Winchester 70 where you push down on the bolt release at the rear of the receiver to actuate the bolt release. The bolt release lever attaches to the trigger housing itself and is not attached to the receiver directly. All in all it doesn't look like too bad a rifle especially for a kid. The factory stock comes with spacers that can be added to increase the length of pull. I was going to originally set it up and see how it shot and then start making changes to it installing it into a uninletted McMillan 700 stock and rebarreling it if necessary. The factory stocks is set up with a detachable magazine, but the front part that holds the front guard screw is built into the stock and also is what holds the magazine in place. This would make it more difficult to restock. Not that it couldn't be done, but just harder to do. However, after seeing that and how the trigger is set up and how it mounts, I'll probably just set it up for a grandkid deer rifle as is. The stock is the injection molded type of stock and has two aluminum pillars installed in the stock using a front guard screw and a guard screw behind the trigger to hold the action to the stock. All in all it's not too bad a rifle and corrects some of the short comings of the old 788 model of rifle (mainly how the trigger was held onto the action on the 788 which I've seen fail numerous times on 788's) and adds the Savage barrel nut system of headspacing which makes the rifle cheaper to produce. I think Remington has done a good job coming out with a good product for a value class rifle. Certainly a lot better than the short lived 710 rifle that they sold for awhile. Retail pricing on them is $451. Not sure what they will actually cost though.

View attachment 15511

Holey Cow Mike...... thank you!

That is a very informative post.

You are a credit to Wilbur's Board :)

al

Thank you Mike its good to get real information rather than rumors. Three or four months back Dicks had them for $399 with a $100 rebate for Remington. I didnt understand at the time that all the 783s are made on a long action, even the 308 and 243. I was wanting a 243 and couldn't find one and missed the rebate period. If they made a short action or a short action stainless I would have bought one regardless of price. I agree with you I think they are a pretty good rifle. If they are the same bolt spacing as a long action 700 could you just get a 700 trigger guard and magwell assembly are fit it to the bottom of the 783?

Hi Mike,
I picked one up and have decide to rebarrel it into something else. I agree it's an improvement of the 788 in some respects.
Do you or anyone else know how to change the firing pin spring? Getting the firing pin assembly is easy, but there's nothing explaining changing the spring out for a stronger one. I find the one on mine is weak.

I figured it out, it's threaded into the cocking piece.

Last edited:
Holey Cow Mike...... thank you!

That is a very informative post.

You are a credit to Wilbur's Board :)

al

It ain't exactly "Wilbur's Board" if you think about it! About all I do is make a dumb post now and then and pay the bill.

Speaking on that thought. I think you (Wilbur) need a way we can donate to this site. I would and I am sure many others as well. This forum cost me nothing, but it is my favorite. I pay for all the other forums I frequent.
Bill Greene

Back