"Value priced" bolt guns?

G

Gary O

I see that the manufacturers are bring out value based (cheaper) bolt guns for hunting. Of all these rifles, which one would you buy? Thanks...

Ruger All American
Rem 783
Savage Axis
etc; etc...

Seeing those models in person they scare me. I hate plastic. I would save a bit longer or hit a pawn shop for a remington 700. I buy 700s all the time that are in good shape to strip for actions for $300-$350

I stumbled over this new-to-me Ruger All American Predator in .308 Win...threaded barrel with upgraded trigger...

Attachments

• pred.jpg
    pred.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 447
I have been able to shoot several of the Ruger American rifles, in .223, 22-250, .243, and 30-06. Overall I consider them a good value for the dollar spent.
Not benchrest quality accuracy but better than saucer size.
The triggers are easy to modify to 2 lbs. or less but getting rid of creep is almost impossible.
I might add they were all shot with a 12X Leupold, and the worst group at 100 yds. was one and three eighths.
The .223 magazines have a problem and will not feed the last round, smoke stacks it due to lack of support allowing the bolt to over ride the
rear of the last cartridge.

A lot of the problem I see around here with economy rifles is that they get the cheapest scope available mounted on them.

Value priced bolt gun?

Mossberg makes a decent rifle along with savage, and don't forget the Howa.
So far the best i have shot was the Howa

Cheap bolt guns

Ive looked at all the inexpensive bolt guns. The Marlins are rumored to be a copy of an older Sako, they shoot good but have a blind magazine. The Rugers, some shoot really good, but I think you would be stuck with the odd stock cause of the rotary mag and the weird bedding system. I like the idea of the 783 Remington, It has all the good points of a Savage but none of the bad. The receiver looks to be way stuffer than a 700 as it has only a loading port on the right and the top of the receiver isn't cut out and the rear ring isn't smaller its the same size as the front. If they made a 783 in a short action (or a short action stainless) I would own one now. The 783 has the floating bolt head, and the nut to make barrel changes easy, but not the screwed up trigger and sear of the Savage. They use the same trigger as the 700 so a Jewel is an option. do some checking and looking at the 783 I think you will like it, but like you say the stock is hard to look past.

Ive looked at all the inexpensive bolt guns. The Marlins are rumored to be a copy of an older Sako, they shoot good but have a blind magazine. The Rugers, some shoot really good, but I think you would be stuck with the odd stock cause of the rotary mag and the weird bedding system. I like the idea of the 783 Remington, It has all the good points of a Savage but none of the bad. The receiver looks to be way stuffer than a 700 as it has only a loading port on the right and the top of the receiver isn't cut out and the rear ring isn't smaller its the same size as the front. If they made a 783 in a short action (or a short action stainless) I would own one now. The 783 has the floating bolt head, and the nut to make barrel changes easy, but not the screwed up trigger and sear of the Savage. They use the same trigger as the 700 so a Jewel is an option. do some checking and looking at the 783 I think you will like it, but like you say the stock is hard to look past.

Interesting about the 783. Are you certain they use the same trigger as the 700, and therefore can use a Jewel? I'm sorta curious what could be done with one as a project. Bolt knob would have to go.....as would the stock. Not to mention the bolt knob.......whew, that's ugly. Does it come in left hand?

I cant be positive but read it on another forum and the poster is not a dumb ass. PGT already has bolts.

The 783 has a trigger similar to the Savage "accu-trigger". They also IIRC have a barrel nut that's also a clone of the Savage barrel mounting system. To be honest I've shot both the low class Savage and Remingtons along with the Rugers and greatly prefer the Ruger American over all. The magazine, accuracy and general "feel" in my hands is way above the Remington rifle, and they all have similar triggers.
Personally I'd look for a good used M700 if money was tight. Lots of shooters buy a rifle shoot it one season and trade it for some obscure reason with almost no wear and tear.

Value priced bolt gun?

I didn't see the Howa listed even though it a clone of the Weatherby Vangard.
I was surprised at how well the Howa shot right out of the box. there could be some improvement made though with a wood stock.
most economy rifles as stated do have a poor plastic /nylon stock. a good bed job probably would do wonders for most of the rifles.

A howa is not a clone of the vanguard. Howa is a standalone company that makes the vanguard for weatherby. They also made rifles for smith and wesson back in the day. Been around a long time and are very nice guns for the buck. Nicer than their vanguards are actually.

Value priced bolt gun?

I stand corrected about Howa. I forgot about the smith and wesson.
I never call a rifle cheap inexpensive yes cheap never. Howa around here at shows are petty reasonable.
Last one I bough was about $400 .
Once a year though Remington has their sale with $50 rebates and you can buy a nice 700 for about $500 with the tax.
If your price range is less then the Mossberg and some Savage models come to mind.

Seeing those models in person they scare me. I hate plastic. I would save a bit longer or hit a pawn shop for a remington 700. I buy 700s all the time that are in good shape to strip for actions for $300-$350
A fellow that works on firearms told me once, two kind of plastic on a gun. Broken plastic and plastic that hasn't yet.

A fellow that works on firearms told me once, two kind of plastic on a gun. Broken plastic and plastic that hasn't yet.

Was he completely and unequivocally wrong about lots of other stuff too?

Hard to say? I didn't talk to him that much. I kind of like to get to know folk before I poke fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used, but something to think about

simpsons Ltd has a raft of Husqvarna rifles for sale. Some years back I purchased one in 6.5x55 Swedish and have been very pleasedwith it.

Back