value of guns

HovisKM

NRA Life Member
Hello,
I need some help. A friend of mine has two guns he wants to sell and I want to list them in the classifieds. I don't have any idea of their value but both the guns look brand new. Shot but very little. No marks, scratches or wear.

1. Winchester Model 94 AE lever action, 45 L. Colt, very pretty.

2. Kimber Classic, Stainless fluted barrel, Very nice wood, 17mach2

I've attached a pic of each to give a better idea of what they are.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Hovis

Attachments

• Win model 94 web small.jpg
    Win model 94 web small.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Kimber web small.jpg
    Kimber web small.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Check the market

Guns are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Check the on-line auctions like gunbroker.com and see what people are willing to pay. That's the only way I know to get a true value.

tiny

Gun Values

Go get a copy or borrow a copy of The Blue book of gun values. It will give you a starting point, or take them to an auctioneer who deals in such and have them appraised

Prices

Current prices are always different in different parts of the Country.

If I can get a new rifle for 80% of list price then I am going to be a hard sell.

A gun shop will charge 15% - 20% of the selling price for their services or more.

Selling on the internet involves knoweledge of Federal and State firearm laws and a lot of trust in the other guy.

I hope your friend isn't expecting to make money on the transactions.

HOWEVER there are some nuts out there that will pay almost anything for some thing.

I would start out asking 80% of list or best offer. If they don't sell in six months, then lower the price.

I don't think either rifle will be hard to sell.

A scope on a rifle adds little value.

If the scope is a Leupold take it off and sell it seperately $$$.

Good luck

Winchester Model 94 SE lever action, 45 L. Colt, very pretty.

I just sold a Win M94 Legacy in 45 long Colt for $600 used.

brand new in the box M94 Legacys can fetch a pretty penny these days since Winchester shutdown their operations.

NIB Model 9417 Winchester Legacy 17 Caliber are fetching over $1000 right now.
:eek::eek:

I wish I would have bought 2 or 3 of these rifles. Winchester only made them for 2 years.
:cool::cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just doubled my allowance for loss or theft of guns with my State Farm insurance dealer.

For $17 per year, they double the amount they will lay out for burglary or other loss of guns.

I was told to photograph and document the guns as best I can.

HERE IS THE ISSUE--

who will set the valuation, and at what amount ?

Will the insurance people take a beautiful mint rifle that could sell at a show for $500 and inform me that it is worth $200? And would there be any legal recourse if they lowball the value?

An insurance agent once told me that insurance was to sell not to buy.
By that he meant that insurance is only profitable to the seller and the buyer will always get a poor return if he tries to collect.

You neednt ask

who will set the valuation, and at what amount ?

They will.
The lowest amount possible.
Will it cover my loss?
Only If you have a stated Value of the collection in the policy...........

Firearms insurance....

Is usually heavy, painted, and is bolted to the floor. Can someone break into your $4,000 safe? A professional can, but not the average stumble bum b and e amateur. All that is required is that you safe is harder to break into than the one next door. And ditch those pretty gun racks in the family room, same with the glass front display case.

Back